X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are you hiring!!!
    I call total BS on that $100K starting salary for new college grads. Go ahead, name the company...

Comment

I call total BS on that $100K starting salary for new college grads. Go ahead, name the company...
      Not the poster but my D is starting at over that at a top consulting firm after graduation. Granted she's a dean's list kid at a top 25 university and amazing (takes after her mom :)). But for the more typical college grad from a midlevel university no way.

Comment

The whole thread is BS posted by a bitter town dad coach.

Comment

It's totally different today than when you grew up, and if you are being truthful, you'd know that. The game is vastly improved to when I played in college (25 years ago), and competition is greater.

If your goal is to play at that level, you should be playing against the best competition you can. As for salaries and all that, it's all subjective based on your field. My kid plays club, because she wants to. We have zero expectations on anything above high school, what happens...happens.

Comment

I disagree. Talent is talent. True in every sport. Hard work and talent is a transcendent combo.
            ...and there are many talented athletes that come and go and never reach the levels that their talents might have gotten them to - because they were never seen by the right people at the right times.

If the OP thinks D1 coaches are going to flock to his kids' town games or high school games, he is sadly mistaken. And if he thinks that his kid is going to get the kind of competition that will develop her to be able to compete with other top players, he is completely delusional. So go ahead and try to replicate that experience from 20 years ago. If his kids really love soccer and want to become good at it, he won't be doing them any favors.

Comment

It's totally different today than when you grew up, and if you are being truthful, you'd know that. The game is vastly improved to when I played in college (25 years ago), and competition is greater.

If your goal is to play at that level, you should be playing against the best competition you can. As for salaries and all that, it's all subjective based on your field. My kid plays club, because she wants to. We have zero expectations on anything above high school, what happens...happens.
              I recently had a conversation with a D1 player who graduated a couple of years ago. She was a 4 year starter for a team that made NCAA tournament a couple of times while she was there, so not from a lousy program. She told me that she and her teammates were amazed at the skill level of kids that they see at the U10, 11 and 12 ages. She said they had skills that she and her peers didn't develop until their teen years, and played a much more advanced game than they remember playing at those ages.

The number of kids getting better training at earlier ages makes the soccer world vastly different from the one their parents grew up in. The OP is clueless.

Comment

...and there are many talented athletes that come and go and never reach the levels that their talents might have gotten them to - because they were never seen by the right people at the right times.

If the OP thinks D1 coaches are going to flock to his kids' town games or high school games, he is sadly mistaken. And if he thinks that his kid is going to get the kind of competition that will develop her to be able to compete with other top players, he is completely delusional. So go ahead and try to replicate that experience from 20 years ago. If his kids really love soccer and want to become good at it, he won't be doing them any favors.
                Sadly one of my kids best friends in in this situation. Dad is stubborn (I played in college, town is good enough blah blah) and he's super cheap. Our town soccer is pretty good for what it is, but my son and a few others who moved onto club have wildly surpassed him. Kills me because he had/has great potential but I think when he's still on JV sophomore year but the others are on V he'll probably drop out.

Also - I'm on my 3rd kid in HS and I think I've seen three college coaches at games - all playoffs - in the last 7 years.

Comment

Just a bit different today

This guy is a real winner! Not sure where you have been hiding but the best u12's are far better than High school Varsity kids of the past( 1980's-1999 say) . Its a different planet. Go ahead and keep us informed over the next 4-5 years and let us know how the town team is progressing. Your a fool.

Comment

Sadly one of my kids best friends in in this situation. Dad is stubborn (I played in college, town is good enough blah blah) and he's super cheap. Our town soccer is pretty good for what it is, but my son and a few others who moved onto club have wildly surpassed him. Kills me because he had/has great potential but I think when he's still on JV sophomore year but the others are on V he'll probably drop out.

Also - I'm on my 3rd kid in HS and I think I've seen three college coaches at games - all playoffs - in the last 7 years.
                    A lot of this in out town programs, too. My kid is still young enough to do town and club, and his skill level is well above those kids who were on equal footing with him two years ago but still play town only. The saddest situations are those where a kid has clearly outgrown town soccer and should move on to club, with the parents able to easily afford it, but the dad has been the kid's coach for years and doesn't want to give up his own dream of being the town travel league champion's coach.

Comment

town/travel love the game

all i know is my kid who is constantly being recruited from top clubs at u14 prefers to play travel over club and says his travel coach is much more knowledgeable and makes it fun for the kids. says club coach has no real interest in the players and is mostly on his phone

all depends

Comment

all i know is my kid who is constantly being recruited from top clubs at u14 prefers to play travel over club and says his travel coach is much more knowledgeable and makes it fun for the kids. says club coach has no real interest in the players and is mostly on his phone all depends
                        I think the OP was not serious with this comment and just trolling, but the subsequent conversation is pretty good. Its fairly obvious that its a real long shot to play in college (any division) with town soccer alone. Its not that town coaches can't be good, its just that at U14 and above, the talent, commitment, and competition is far better at the club scene. If you stick with town soccer during the HS years, odds are the player development will be stunted.

For this post above, if your kid is being recruited by numerous clubs, you only pointed out one club coach that you don't like. Are you sure he/she will be the coach for your kid. Do you know him/her well enough to make a good comparison to the town coach? And what about the other clubs that are interested, are they all bad coaches too?

Comment

This guy is a real winner! Not sure where you have been hiding but the best u12's are far better than High school Varsity kids of the past( 1980's-1999 say) . Its a different planet. Go ahead and keep us informed over the next 4-5 years and let us know how the town team is progressing. Your a fool.
                          I would've kicked their asses...

Comment

I think the OP was not serious with this comment and just trolling, but the subsequent conversation is pretty good. Its fairly obvious that its a real long shot to play in college (any division) with town soccer alone. Its not that town coaches can't be good, its just that at U14 and above, the talent, commitment, and competition is far better at the club scene. If you stick with town soccer during the HS years, odds are the player development will be stunted.

For this post above, if your kid is being recruited by numerous clubs, you only pointed out one club coach that you don't like. Are you sure he/she will be the coach for your kid. Do you know him/her well enough to make a good comparison to the town coach? And what about the other clubs that are interested, are they all bad coaches too?
                            the issue i see is that club coaches have two many teams and do not focus on their teams as much as a coach who just has the one

Comment

all i know is my kid who is constantly being recruited from top clubs at u14 prefers to play travel over club and says his travel coach is much more knowledgeable and makes it fun for the kids. says club coach has no real interest in the players and is mostly on his phone

all depends
                              It definitely depends. My u13 son refuses to play with his Town team any more mostly because he says the boys aren't serious about soccer. He prefers his Club team.

Comment

A few years ago my d's varsity team (D1 MA playoff team) had a pre-season scrimmage with a club team of 8th graders. Despite the physical size differences, the varsity girls were soundly defeated. They could not compete technically.
                                Was an eye opener to me on how the level of play has grown at the club level compared to HS. My younger one now plays much more club than my older kids did.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X