Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town soccer

That's what I grew up playing...and played D1 college.

I'm following that model for my kids. Soccer is great activity. New hire college grads at my company make $100k. What's the MLS starting salary? Save the bs club money and take a family vacation. Why pay their salaries?

Love to hear the crazies (club coaches) argue about this one.....

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I'm following that model for my kids. Soccer is great activity. New hire college grads at my company make $100k. What's the MLS starting salary? Save the bs club money and take a family vacation. Why pay their salaries?

We all started with that ideal. Depending on your town, you may be able to take it pretty far. At some point though, you will have difficult decisions to make. Times are a bit different than when you played. You won't see college coaches at HS games, except for districts. And college coaches don't go to town travel games in the spring. When the good kids in your town no longer play for the town, you will be tempted to join the better competition, or be stuck with rec players on town team. Good luck on your journey.

Comment

All that is fine, except now you can't play D1 with only town soccer. Unless your kid is some once in a lifetime talent who spends hours on end training on their own. If your kid doesn't want to play in soccer, then fine ... stay in town and enjoy your choices. The rest of us will do the same, thanks.

Comment

All that is fine, except now you can't play D1 with only town soccer. Unless your kid is some once in a lifetime talent who spends hours on end training on their own. If your kid doesn't want to play in soccer, then fine ... stay in town and enjoy your choices. The rest of us will do the same, thanks.
        doesn't want to play in *college* is what that was supposed to say.

Comment

We all started with that ideal. Depending on your town, you may be able to take it pretty far. At some point though, you will have difficult decisions to make. Times are a bit different than when you played. You won't see college coaches at HS games, except for districts. And college coaches don't go to town travel games in the spring. When the good kids in your town no longer play for the town, you will be tempted to join the better competition, or be stuck with rec players on town team. Good luck on your journey.

Grew up playing town soccer, played D 1, work at large company and spend you evenings posting on Talking Soccer. Maybe you should have played club

Comment

Grew up playing town soccer, played D 1, work at large company and spend you evenings posting on Talking Soccer. Maybe you should have played club
            Ok coach protect the pocket but op makes a good point. I've not yet run into a Brit that elevated his IQ because of playing club. Is club play supposed to make you smarter outside of choices on the pitch?

Comment

I wouldn't consider myself crazy and its unfortunate that times have changed since you played but they have. Its not impossible to succeed going the town route but the odds are stacked against your kids. You mentioned college grads, consider whether there was as much of a need to have that college degree when you graduated as there is today.

Comment

I disagree. Talent is talent. True in every sport. Hard work and talent is a transcendent combo.

Comment

I disagree. Talent is talent. True in every sport. Hard work and talent is a transcendent combo.
                  So you are saying the kid who plays town soccer through HS has a shot at D1? At what rpi range will this particular example play?

Comment

Are you hiring!!!

Comment

Ah the good old days...

Comment

I'll bet you a years salary your child never sees one minute on the field in a D1 soccer match.

Comment

Also keep in mind you can't play D1 if you are not that good. I think parents have trouble dealing with the fact that their kids is not that good. I think if parents got over their own egos that their kid is not good they would just stick to town soccer and save a lot.

Comment

I too played in HS but just one year of college because of a blown knee. In those (too many to count) years
                            - the quality of play across the board has improved greatly - youth, HS, college, NT. At some HS you can't even get much Varsity action unless you're a club player
                            - expectations for college play are significantly higher
                            - the number of players has grown tremendously = more players fighting for positions
                            - on the men's side foreign players are taking plenty of spots; it's growing on the women's side
                            - the cost of college is unaffordable for many, leading to more parents hoping for any $$ assistance to help pay for it
                            - youth soccer has shifted from decent town programs to the professional clubs. Those clubs clearly vary in quality but the top clubs do churn out top players who go on to top college programs. College coaches don't even look at HS games any longer

That's the world now. As a super fan of the sport I'm mostly glad for it. I don't like the cost of clubs and squeezing out some talent because of unaffordability. The only shot a non club player has for D1 soccer (assuming they have some amazing town program and hs soccer - ha ha ha, sure) is as a walk on at a very, very low level program. Maybe. Probably not.

Comment

Also keep in mind you can't play D1 if you are not that good. I think parents have trouble dealing with the fact that their kids is not that good. I think if parents got over their own egos that their kid is not good they would just stick to town soccer and save a lot.
                              Sometimes it isn't the parents, it's the kids. A friend/teammate on one of my kids' club teams really would be better served going back to his town's pretty solid travel program. But he so wants to be a club player the parents don't have the heart to pull the plug until he is ready to do it.

And some town programs suck, so you may save dollars but lose a lot in the quality of training

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X