Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks again everyone - much appreciated. She is an 02 (so U13) and all I hear is that colleges look at girls earlier than boys. I'm not saying that she needs to go to Exact, but what is everyone referring to? Being on teams that go to certain tournaments? She is a standout - speed, strength, shot, passing and vision. She's not on their regional team bc we waited too long to move from the small club that she grew out of. By the time we joined the bigger, better club the regional team was already picked. Her team plays against regional teams and she consistently has success beating those backs and scoring. I'm not being a parent who thinks her kid is better than she really is (although pretty much impossible to do), but I'm the first to compare her to the best players I've seen and keep her in perspective. She's got more than enough talent, desire and ability to be there - mainly bad timing up to this point. I think trying out for the better teams is a good idea too, which we plan to do. Just tough to break into those teams if you don't have a great tryout and then are considered equal to most of the players already on the team. Thanks for the recommendations on attending the Camp, which we will do at least for the experience and confidence.
    Go to ODP when she makes the Region 1 team out of URI camp, shes the real deal, they love her type of player and she should show well at camp.
    Puberty does tough things to girl soccer players so good luck. A friend warned me about the 3 Bs and I kind of laughed it off as sexist but I saw them impact many good players.
    The 3 Bs you ask - Boys, Boobs and butts....

Comment

Go to ODP when she makes the Region 1 team out of URI camp, shes the real deal, they love her type of player and she should show well at camp.
      Puberty does tough things to girl soccer players so good luck. A friend warned me about the 3 Bs and I kind of laughed it off as sexist but I saw them impact many good players.
      :) not the op but thanks for that one. it is sooooooo true. puberty is a great leveler. and kids interests do change. they should. it's part of growing up and figuring out what you're good at and interests you.

So U13 parent - take her to some more challenging clubs now for team practices, see how she fits in. Try ODP. Then you'll have a better idea. Yes girls recruit earlier than boys but yours is still quite young. Besides, it isn't always in their best interest to recruit so young. Be careful what you wish for. Transfer rates in women's soccer are very high and early recruiting is a big contributor to that.

Comment

Believe it or not, sports bras have never been better. As for butts, the issue is not size itself but its relation to strength; there are training regimes for that (squats or, heaven forbid, plyo). The "boys" thing is just an expression of no longer prioritizing being a soccer athlete; somehow, committed players (including NT types) find time to have boyfriends.

Comment

Believe it or not, sports bras have never been better. As for butts, the issue is not size itself but its relation to strength; there are training regimes for that (squats or, heaven forbid, plyo). The "boys" thing is just an expression of no longer prioritizing being a soccer athlete; somehow, committed players (including NT types) find time to have boyfriends.
          I don't want to know why you have any knowledge of sports bras - unless of course you wear one for you man boobs :)

Comment

I don't want to know why you have any knowledge of sports bras - unless of course you wear one for you man boobs :)
            It's simply a matter of basic information and observation--for those paying attention instead of relying on tired, outdated cliches.

Comment

It's simply a matter of basic information and observation--for those paying attention instead of relying on tired, outdated cliches.
              Observing young women's bars. No that's not pervy at all

Comment

If she's as good as you think, then contact the coaches at NEFC or Stars and see if you can get them to allow her to practice with their top U13 teams for a few sessions. If she plays with those teams for 3-4 sessions, you'll get a much better read as to whether she can contribute to a top team. The coaches will know (most likely within an hour or so) whether she has the athleticism and skill to be worthy of a spot on one of these teams next fall. With birth year changes and a lot of the shuffling that's sure to come with this age group, there should be plenty of spots open for the best players, even if they're coming from another club. If you're going to do this, though, do it NOW. Do not wait until May-June and try to impress in a tryout with 50 other girls out there on the field.

Don't forget, many coaches will be loyal to their existing players, but are still prone to falling for a flavor-of-the-month new player. It gives your kid a chance.
                Poster 11 again - there was a decent level in talent in the age group my daughter attended (also U13/2002) with a number of ECNL and NPL players there (Stars and NEFC included) and only a couple of players stood out as perhaps not being on the same level. That said - this advice quoted here/echoed by others is indeed the best advice I'd offer, as well. Any single-day ID camp inherently increases the risk of a player having a bad day, players in non-attacking positions maybe being overshadowed in small-sided games by the more offensive players, etc.; whereas training once or twice a week with the best team you can find at your daughter's age group during the winter or even through the Spring if possible will give both player and Coach (and parents) a better feel as to whether there's a fit or not. This longer sample size also benefits potential role players or backline players (i.e. - #6s, #8s, etc.) whose true value within a team likely goes beyond scissor kicks and bombs from the midfield line in hopes of standing out in a one-day tryout.

I'd add that it also improves chances of breaking into a roster as it's often times far harder to lose a spot on a strong team that's winning than it is to break into an established roster even if you're a better player.

Comment

The Exact clinic today for girls in Hanover was excellent. Very well orgained, very informative panels for parents and players. Lots of talented girls there today, really opens your eyes.

Comment

You are missing the point on this subject. You should consult your coach first on where she falls. Playing in great tournaments will give you a great idea of her level. It is not hard to figure out....has she been invited to id camps, does she play odp, ever Been to real tournament,mplay against stars, GPS or nefc top teams?

Comment

A friend explained how "ID" clinics work.

Say 100 players show up and pay $200 each. $20,000 income.
                      Pay for coaches. 10 Coaches @ $200 -$2,000
                      Venue -$5,000
                      Misc shirts, balls, drinks etc -$1,500

Profit for owners is over $10,000 for 1 day clinic. Attract 100 boys and 100 girls and a weekend profit at $200 a head is easily $25,000. These numbers explain why there is such a proliferation of these happening in soccer and many other affluent sports (Lacrosse).
                      Sell parents the dream and make your own come true!

Comment

A friend explained how "ID" clinics work.

Say 100 players show up and pay $200 each. $20,000 income.
                        Pay for coaches. 10 Coaches @ $200 -$2,000
                        Venue -$5,000
                        Misc shirts, balls, drinks etc -$1,500

Profit for owners is over $10,000 for 1 day clinic. Attract 100 boys and 100 girls and a weekend profit at $200 a head is easily $25,000. These numbers explain why there is such a proliferation of these happening in soccer and many other affluent sports (Lacrosse).
                        Sell parents the dream and make your own come true!
                        You are 100% right. But as an attendee u also get a reality check.

Comment

It also gives players a chance to be seen in front of a coach from a school they're interested in, as well as possible opportunities for players that might not do many showcases. There are thousands of roster spots open each year (boys and girls). They're not all going to come from DA or ECNL. Also, if you play ECNL or DA their events attract colleges from everywhere. But if you're a level below that and want to attend a school in the Midwest or West Coast then ID events may be your best chance to be seen. Many smaller colleges seem to attend these events because they don't run their own camps/don't attend a lot of showcases.

Comment

priceless

Comment

We went to the clinic in Hanover on friday. Question: why so many ECNL players there if they get so much good exposure from their league?

Comment

We went to the clinic in Hanover on friday. Question: why so many ECNL players there if they get so much good exposure from their league?
                                EXACT ID is not only about exposure. Good clinic in the area before season starts. The kids on ECNL will get exposure as will yours on NEFC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X