Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I love this post and the one prior. Good for you guys. I'm one of the Scorpion Dads writing about how much my daughter loves her coach and teammates, and we've never met "FM" or any of the club muckety mucks.

When it works for the individual kid, parents should stick with it and be loyal to it. Whether that's GPS, Scorpions, Stars or whomever, great to hear it's working.
    Glad to hear you are happy as well. I find TS weirdly addicting (conf call boredom), but personally I just don't feel the need to validate our family choices by knocking down another family's choices. I do realized this is a human phenomenon that is no different than the F150 with a sticker of a boy ******* on a Chevy logo.

Comment

still nothing from a GPS boys parent from one of their SELECT teams, still paying all that money for nothing,

Comment

Could be worse, could be a Scorpion family paying all that money to routinely get embarrassed.

Comment

I have looked all around and can't find a GPS college placement list. Help? Do they do anything to help ? Who is their go to coach in recruiting process
          Maybe you didn't look hard enough! The have a college section on thier site with a list of a few hundred placements. They have a mix of d1/2/3 and do regular college seminars and college placement help. Resume building, free sat tutoring, etc. my son is a 00 and we couldn't be happier.

Comment

still nothing from a GPS boys parent from one of their SELECT teams, still paying all that money for nothing,
            And where does your soccer star play? Nefc 3rd team!

Comment

Nobody pays money for nothing. Could it be possible that what you see as being "nothing" might actually be of value to someone else? I can think of quite a few reasons why a family would pay for their kid to play on a GPS boys select team. If you can't, you're lacking in imagination, but that's just fine, because you aren't the one spending the money on it. I'm sure you're paying for something that the family of a GPS select team player would consider as being worthless. Isn't it nice that we live in a country where individuals can decide for themselves which items or activities have value (and for the most part we aren't even forced to give reasons for purchasing decisions!).

Comment

The great thing is that there are so many choices out there, with a bunch of factors weighing into what might be best for your situation- price, distance, strength of the team, coach, chance for advancement, etc. If you don't have unlimited money and time to drive your kid around, then there may be real limitations, but you still have choices. I also don't get this propensity to criticize what others are doing, or to continually bitch about your own team but just stick with it. The other thing I don't get is- I don't like the situation, so instead of just switching I feel the need to rally the entire team to leave with me. Seems like more of a girls team thing, and the social aspect is more important for my daughter than my sons, but I honestly think that one of the best things about moving to a new club is getting to interact with a new set of people. The kids get pigeon-holed into roles on a team, so its good to switch things up. Any decent club will rotate the coaches, which is helpful, but sometimes it's helpful to rotate the kids, even if your kid is the queen bee (maybe especially in that case).

Comment

You truly are a stupid person.

Comment

You truly are a stupid person.
                    guess no reason maybe babysitting

Comment

I'm not the OP but also have a kid on a Select team. He is not the best soccer player but is absolutely a top hockey player. Plays soccer to stay in shape.

Comment

The great thing is that there are so many choices out there, with a bunch of factors weighing into what might be best for your situation- price, distance, strength of the team, coach, chance for advancement, etc. If you don't have unlimited money and time to drive your kid around, then there may be real limitations, but you still have choices. I also don't get this propensity to criticize what others are doing, or to continually bitch about your own team but just stick with it. The other thing I don't get is- I don't like the situation, so instead of just switching I feel the need to rally the entire team to leave with me. Seems like more of a girls team thing, and the social aspect is more important for my daughter than my sons, but I honestly think that one of the best things about moving to a new club is getting to interact with a new set of people. The kids get pigeon-holed into roles on a team, so its good to switch things up. Any decent club will rotate the coaches, which is helpful, but sometimes it's helpful to rotate the kids, even if your kid is the queen bee (maybe especially in that case).
                        Great insight on rotating the kids. We moved an entire girls team into GPS 2 years ago. We didn't want any girl to feel left behind, which I think matters at 11 years old. GPS then mixed those girls across teams and the next year some moved up, over, or out. I think GPS handled this wonderfully. Yes, it's true the cashed all our checks, but overall, I thought they handled it well, and the majority were happy.

Comment

Also provides outstanding opportunities for exceptional players at every stage. To DAP/Revs, ID2 opps,
                          http://usclubsoccer.org/2016/02/11/r...tour-in-spain/

Comment

I know GPS are unethical
                            I know that GPS are all about the money
                            I know that GPS will say anything (lie, cheat, distort) to increase their revenue
                            But my kid is on a decent team and having fun so I play along. It does make me feel a little slimy and certainly hope it doesn't come back to bite me. If you go in with your head up and know what you're dealing with you can make it work for you and your kid.

Comment

I know GPS are unethical
                              I know that GPS are all about the money
                              I know that GPS will say anything (lie, cheat, distort) to increase their revenue
                              But my kid is on a decent team and having fun so I play along. It does make me feel a little slimy and certainly hope it doesn't come back to bite me. If you go in with your head up and know what you're dealing with you can make it work for you and your kid.
                              Don't fool yourselves, what the poster said above is correct BUT it could and should read:

I know [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] are unethical
                              I know that [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] are all about the money
                              I know that [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] will say anything (lie, cheat, distort) to increase their revenue

Anyone who reads this site knows that ALL of the Big Boys get slammed, ridiculed, called out, slandered, etc.

This thread just happens to be GPS's turn as we've already went thru the rotation of Valeo, Aztecs, Breakers, FC Boston, Scorpions, NEFC and Stars.

Comment

Don't fool yourselves, what the poster said above is correct BUT it could and should read:

I know [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] are unethical
                                I know that [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] are all about the money
                                I know that [INSERT BIG CLUB NAME HERE] will say anything (lie, cheat, distort) to increase their revenue

Anyone who reads this site knows that ALL of the Big Boys get slammed, ridiculed, called out, slandered, etc.

This thread just happens to be GPS's turn as we've already went thru the rotation of Valeo, Aztecs, Breakers, FC Boston, Scorpions, NEFC and Stars.
                                I don't think of these big corporate entities as "clubs". They are really soccer "services" delivering a product--sometimes a very good product, and a product that satisfies their customers' immediate appetites, but an impersonal product. You pay for the product, and the service delivers it--a transactional relationship. I think a "club" connotes something more communal, not in a Bernie Sanders sense, but in a "you've got to give something back" way. Can someone tell me if these corporate soccer services encourage their teams to go watch the games of other teams in their "club" ? Do they hire alumni players to help coach younger teams? Do they hold reunions or bring young teams to watch their former players college or pro games? Is there any abiding loyalty after the last check is cashed and the product is consumed? Has a lifelong relationship with soccer been inspired? Here is where I (grudgingly) agree with the "end result" posters: If it is just the "soccer", is lining the corporate pocket worthy of the effort?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X