Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The point is that the attempt to label this as uniquely a function of club soccer or even more uniquely as a function of certain local soccer clubs is ludicrous (and way too obvious and transparent).
    This forum is called talking soccer so it stands to reason that soccer is discussed here.

But same strategy would probably work for other sports as well...just smile and say "that's amazing..your player must be great!"

Comment

These are the same people who send out the "brag" Holiday letter about how great their kids are, their vacation was, and in general how awesome they are. They are self absorbed idiots who have little to no self awareness.
      People brag about everything, it's not unique to youth soccer, or even to their offspring. Just look at most Facebook pages.

Comment

People brag about everything, it's not unique to youth soccer, or even to their offspring. Just look at most Facebook pages.
        Braggarts brag about everything. Many people have refreshing humility.

Comment

So then why do you constantly sell the Mom & Pop route? Not like that isn't a broken. You talk in such glowing terms about life in a Mom & Pop when the reality is you are talking about a fantasy that doesn't actually exist. As a rule the training conditions suck because those niche club can't afford more expensive facilities at that price, the coaching sucks and most have other reasons for being there like coaching their kid (not like you can't get that in a town program) and that's the reason why the price point is so low, the player and family commitment sucks because everyone knows that they are doing it at this level because there are other family priorities (like paying bills) and so they do the bare minimum, and to top it off as soon as the better players on your typical Mom & Pop get sold that there is something more out there for them by one of the bigger clubs, they leave, and the team then can't do crap on the field even if it is against a MAPLE team. So what exactly is the redeeming quality behind this little fantasy you are selling?
          I've always acknowledged the shortcomings of our small club--it is not for everyone. Poster has done a good job summarizing the negatives, but, not surprisingly, is ignorant to the positives. Over the years I've seen kids who want different things move on: some talented players on to bigger clubs (some at the behest of ambitious parents, some charmed by the snake oil) some less engaged kids back to exclusively town travel. I’ve seen many more players really enjoy their club years, and I’ve seen families value their engagement in an organization that they can truly feel that they are a part of, not just a paying customer. I’ve seen some good soccer, and some really bad soccer—but when you know many of the kids, it is usually entertaining soccer, and the kids become better players! (This happens gradually, when they are allowed to develop for themselves, not driven to win for the club's market share.) I’ve seen families build friendships without the constant “end game” cloud that seems to hover over the mega-clubs (yes, I read ‘Gatorade’), so they can really enjoy a true club camaraderie. “Family Commitment” doesn’t “suck”, it is balanced, sane, and with the freedom to make appropriate decisions based on the individual priorities of growing youngsters and their families. Parent coaches, while not the norm, are sometimes problematic. Still, the club structure provides a way to address coach issues without the paralysis that can result from a totally politicized and clicky town board. So, as I’ve said before (I guess this is my “constant” sales pitch), I love my club. Is it perfect? Far from it, but part of the quality it offers is that we can be part of making it better, and are not left to vent anonymously or scream into the corporate void.

Comment

I've always acknowledged the shortcomings of our small club--it is not for everyone. Poster has done a good job summarizing the negatives, but, not surprisingly, is ignorant to the positives. Over the years I've seen kids who want different things move on: some talented players on to bigger clubs (some at the behest of ambitious parents, some charmed by the snake oil) some less engaged kids back to exclusively town travel. I’ve seen many more players really enjoy their club years, and I’ve seen families value their engagement in an organization that they can truly feel that they are a part of, not just a paying customer. I’ve seen some good soccer, and some really bad soccer—but when you know many of the kids, it is usually entertaining soccer, and the kids become better players! (This happens gradually, when they are allowed to develop for themselves, not driven to win for the club's market share.) I’ve seen families build friendships without the constant “end game” cloud that seems to hover over the mega-clubs (yes, I read ‘Gatorade’), so they can really enjoy a true club camaraderie. “Family Commitment” doesn’t “suck”, it is balanced, sane, and with the freedom to make appropriate decisions based on the individual priorities of growing youngsters and their families. Parent coaches, while not the norm, are sometimes problematic. Still, the club structure provides a way to address coach issues without the paralysis that can result from a totally politicized and clicky town board. So, as I’ve said before (I guess this is my “constant” sales pitch), I love my club. Is it perfect? Far from it, but part of the quality it offers is that we can be part of making it better, and are not left to vent anonymously or scream into the corporate void.
            I know several families that tried large clubs and returned to their smaller local club. I also know several families that left for larger club and happily stayed. I don't know of any that left a large club to go local and then returned to the big club.

Comment

I know several families that tried large clubs and returned to their smaller local club. I also know several families that left for larger club and happily stayed. I don't know of any that left a large club to go local and then returned to the big club.
              Could it be that all that you know is the mom and pop clubs? An awful lot of people start off with small local clubs and leave for bigger clubs once they start to see how much more they can offer. The only ones that I know that go the other way from a big club to small one are the ones who realize that soccer is not a high priority for their family. Nothing wrong with that but let's not portray them as the average soccer family.

Comment

Could it be that all that you know is the mom and pop clubs? An awful lot of people start off with small local clubs and leave for bigger clubs once they start to see how much more they can offer. The only ones that I know that go the other way from a big club to small one are the ones who realize that soccer is not a high priority for their family. Nothing wrong with that but let's not portray them as the average soccer family.
                Good catch, BTNT. Make sure no parent ever gets away with thinking their kid might be just a tad better than you think they are. Here's your classic formula: nothing wrong with sucking as long as you admit to me and everyone else that you suck.

Comment

Good catch, BTNT. Make sure no parent ever gets away with thinking their kid might be just a tad better than you think they are. Here's your classic formula: nothing wrong with sucking as long as you admit to me and everyone else that you suck.
                  LOL. We all know that your kid sucked and you have a huge boner against anyone who has a kid that is pretty good at soccer.

Comment

LOL. We all know that your kid sucked and you have a huge boner against anyone who has a kid that is pretty good at soccer.
                    Ummm. That's just weird

Comment

Ummm. That's just weird
                      That's how his mind operates. A juvenile, latent case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X