Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't be a typical american idiot. If we actually made the semis in 2018, the US soccer world would explode with excitement. I like what Klinnsman is doing. He's not doing what other coaches have done. He's not caving to the popular choices. He's doing what he thinks is best. We'll see in a few years whether that worked or not. I'm not going to freak out over a friendly when neither us nor Ireland played their 11 best.

One thing I've always said is our biggest enemy is the geographical size of our country. We can't find the messi's because they could be living in Illinois or Tennessee or Oregon. Then what happens when we do find them at say age 13? Are we moving them to a national training center like they would in Europe? That's not how our culture is built. And in the end, I don't have a problem with that. We may not be a top four soccer power at the end of the day. Aren't there worse things than that?
    If you look at how the European countries organize their soccer programs they all generally divide their country into regions and then stratify the levels of competitions within those regions. Most of them don't seriously start competing against other regions until the kids are in high school. We do it now when the kids are U12/13.

We have a lot of the pieces the problem is they are implemented in a haphazard way with tons of duplication and serious gaps. For example we already have the regions in our country but are now abandoning them in favor of supposed national level competition like with DAP/ECNL/NPL and put those entities at each other's throats trying to woo players into them through marketing instead selecting them based upon their accomplishments.

If you want to clean up the situation you need to clarify the hierarchy of leagues and then create a smooth and un-hindered pathway for a player to move from the earliest days of their youth soccer all the way up to the pro and international level.

Comment

I think the other poster is onto something. A country like Germany is less than 400 miles across. The United States is about 3000. You can divide us up into regions all you want but in order to find the 20 best players at a certain age it's nearly impossible. Only kids with money are traveling across country to play games. Who's out there scouting inner city rec leagues?

Comment

I think the other poster is onto something. A country like Germany is less than 400 miles across. The United States is about 3000. You can divide us up into regions all you want but in order to find the 20 best players at a certain age it's nearly impossible. Only kids with money are traveling across country to play games. Who's out there scouting inner city rec leagues?
        By the time they figure it out my kid will be out of high school and college, so who cares. At least this is what most of the readers of TS think. There are too many leagues and the system that funnels kids up is too political and self-serving. Get rid of DAP and ECNL and that would be a good start, have real competition. Maybe make our College system a real farm system (it works for the NBA and NFL)

Comment

Don't be a typical american idiot. If we actually made the semis in 2018, the US soccer world would explode with excitement. I like what Klinnsman is doing. He's not doing what other coaches have done. He's not caving to the popular choices. He's doing what he thinks is best. We'll see in a few years whether that worked or not. I'm not going to freak out over a friendly when neither us nor Ireland played their 11 best.

One thing I've always said is our biggest enemy is the geographical size of our country. We can't find the messi's because they could be living in Illinois or Tennessee or Oregon. Then what happens when we do find them at say age 13? Are we moving them to a national training center like they would in Europe? That's not how our culture is built. And in the end, I don't have a problem with that. We may not be a top four soccer power at the end of the day. Aren't there worse things than that?
          You forgetting one thing, Messi will never make it through our system because every coaches looking for a strong, big and athletic type. Messi drilling skills will be consider a ball hogger. Most US coaches are good at teaching creativity not of our players. Yes, we need to adopt a singular style of play so players can have a better understanding of the national system like Germany, Dutch and Spain. Until we adopt a style of play we will continue to be a second soccer nation with NO identity.

Comment

You like what he is doing so please be specific and tell us exactly what Klinnsman is doing to make United States soccer better as a whole?

Comment

You forgetting one thing, Messi will never make it through our system because every coaches looking for a strong, big and athletic type. Messi drilling skills will be consider a ball hogger. Most US coaches are good at teaching creativity not of our players. Yes, we need to adopt a singular style of play so players can have a better understanding of the national system like Germany, Dutch and Spain. Until we adopt a style of play we will continue to be a second soccer nation with NO identity.
              Don't think many coaches would have passed on Messi's 4.33 40. That sort of speed always cancels out height issues

Comment

Don't think many coaches would have passed on Messi's 4.33 40. That sort of speed always cancels out height issues
                4.33? LOL. Absolute nonsense. Hand-timed speed for sure!

Comment

It is very unlikely USMNT can make it to semi in 2018.
                  You can't pick some of the second tier players from Europe plus some OK players from MLS and hope they can make it to Semi. It won't change in just 4 years.

U.S. needs a lot of good youth coaches and a working youth system to make a difference.

Comment

4.33? LOL. Absolute nonsense. Hand-timed speed for sure!
                    After watching him do you doubt he is that fast? Google it if you still need proof,

Comment

Messi is not the faster player on the pitch. However what he has is the best acceleration, balance and dribbling skill of any players today. He will beat anyone in a 25 yard race but can not sustain pass 40yd.

Comment

After watching him do you doubt he is that fast? Google it if you still need proof,
                        I'm sorry for the LOL. But of course he isn't that fast - not even close to it.

Comment

Messi is not the faster player on the pitch. However what he has is the best acceleration, balance and dribbling skill of any players today.
                          There, that's more like it!

Comment

It is his speed and agility with the ball at his feet that makes Messi extraordinary. Does anybody really care about his time in the 40? Does it matter? Nope.

Comment

Here's video proof that you're wrong:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfCU-cFAqC8

Comment

https://prezi.com/icrcwjw_nit3/lebro...-lionel-messi/

This says 4.38 and that he is faster than Lebron James. To put that into perspective that would make him amongst the fastest players in the NFL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X