Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Mens National Team in shambles

Today was a sad day for US men's soccer. To lose 4-1 to Ireland's B squad is not only embarrassing, it's despicable. Klinsmann is not the man for the job. We can't keep possession of the ball. Our movement is terrible off the ball. And we look tired.

To concede 10 goals in the final 10 minutes of the game and I'll last 11 matches is pathetic!

What is pathetic is the youth system developing these players. We are not going forward. We are going backwards. It doesn't matter who heads up the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What is pathetic is the youth system developing these players. We are not going forward. We are going backwards. It doesn't matter who heads up the team.
      I wouldn't say we aren't going forward. I absolutely think we've made big strides. The problem is everyone was way ahead in the race to begin with and continues to pull ahead faster than our pace. It's a race that will take far more than decade to catch up since it needs to start with proper development at the youngest ages until adulthood. The problem is we don't have 1)the system 2) the money 3) the desire 4) the attention. Between losing strong athletes to other sports, limited professional paths (and salaries), and the desire to get a college education, US soccer may never reach that level.

Comment

One of the huge problems is that US Soccer has created an absolute maze of conflicting leagues with no clear cut pathway for teams and or players to advance through the layers which has turned soccer into a sellers market in this country. Take a quick look at the soccer pyramid in this country. The first thing that you notice is that you have competing leagues on the same level and on the women's side there is whole levels that are missing. If you want to clean up soccer in this country start clarifying who really is at what level and get rid of the duplication. I also think that we need to have a formal process based upon merit by which teams can move in and out of leagues

Here is my take on the soccer pyramid in this country.

MEN'S LEAGUE PYRAMID
        LEVEL 1 - MSL (USSF)

LEVEL 2 - NASL (USSF)

LEVEL 3 - USL PRO (USL) * Agreement with MSL to serve as farm league

LEVEL 4 - PDL (USL) | NPSL (USASA) | EAL (USASA) * college & adult

LEVEL 5 - S20 (USL) * college level

LEVEL 6 - USSDA (USSF) * high school level - serves as farm league for MLS

LEVEL 7 - NATIONAL LEAGUE (USYSA) * simply because of qualification process

LEVEL 8 - SUPER Y (USL) | REGIONAL LEAGUE (USYSA) | NPL (USCS)

LEVEL 9 - STATE LEAGUES (USYSA) | PREMIER LEAGUE (USCS)

LEVEL 10 - AYSO LEAGUES

WOMEN'S LEAGUE PYRAMID
        LEVEL 1 - NWSL (USSF)

LEVEL 2 - W-LEAGUE (USL) | WPSL (USASA)

LEVEL 3 - **NOTHING**

LEVEL 4 - EAL (USASA)

LEVEL 5 - W20 (USL)

LEVEL 6 - **NOTHING**

LEVEL 7 - NATIONAL LEAGUE (USYSA) * simply because of qualification process

LEVEL 8 - SUPER Y (USL) | REGIONAL LEAGUE (USYSA) | ENCL (USCS) | NPL (USCS)

LEVEL 9 - STATE LEAGUES (USYSA) | PREMIER LEAGUE (USCS)

LEVEL 10 - AYSO LEAGUES
        This little tidbit speaks to the problem. The whole organization is crazy. There is a lot of duplication and huge gaps in the org chart. Instead of having teams compete with each other US Soccer has leagues competing against each other for teams. It turns pay to play into a meat market and no one really gets anything done.

Comment

We will gain ground in the coming decade as most of our best youth are now being developed in Europe or Mexico. Not coincidentally many of these boys can secure euro passports to make this possible before they are 18. Bradenton should be eliminated. Use the funding elsewhere. I can think of lots of better ways...

Comment

You didn't get the whole picture here.

more leagues = more champions = more top teams = better development

This little tidbit speaks to the problem. The whole organization is crazy. There is a lot of duplication and huge gaps in the org chart. Instead of having teams compete with each other US Soccer has leagues competing against each other for teams. It turns pay to play into a meat market and no one really gets anything done.

Comment

Today was a sad day for US men's soccer. To lose 4-1 to Ireland's B squad is not only embarrassing, it's despicable. Klinsmann is not the man for the job. We can't keep possession of the ball. Our movement is terrible off the ball. And we look tired.

To concede 10 goals in the final 10 minutes of the game and I'll last 11 matches is pathetic!
              To qoute Aaron Rodgers - "R -E - L - A - X.... RELAX!!"

Remember when the Pats and Brady were washed up after the Chiefs killed them on Monday Night Football?

Do you think we aren't going to qualify for the next World Cup? These are friendlies. They mean NOTHING. Let JK experiment a little bit.

Comment

Valeo will save us!

Comment

I wouldn't say we aren't going forward. I absolutely think we've made big strides. The problem is everyone was way ahead in the race to begin with and continues to pull ahead faster than our pace. It's a race that will take far more than decade to catch up since it needs to start with proper development at the youngest ages until adulthood. The problem is we don't have 1)the system 2) the money 3) the desire 4) the attention. Between losing strong athletes to other sports, limited professional paths (and salaries), and the desire to get a college education, US soccer may never reach that level.
                  Same old arguments I've heard for the past 20 years. The fact is, no matter how you restructure leagues, you are still dealing with the same crappy coaching. The pool of athletes playing soccer has increased tenfold, but the results still the same.

Comment

You didn't get the whole picture here.

more leagues = more champions = more top teams = better development
                    Absolutely wrong. As someone noted above the problem isn't participation. If it were, statistically we would have seen an incremental increase in the number of quality players. All that lateral expansion accomplishes is the dilution we now all see. We have a lot of players now, just not enough really exceptional ones. If you want to develop high level players the solution has to go beyond simply getting a huge number of kids to play soccer. You have to somehow sharpen the point more.

Comment

The problem is at the top. Klinnnsman is not a leader with any ideas or charisma to grow US soccer. His plan is telling youth to go to Europe. What a plan! No, what a joke!

How about someone who grows the game and consequently the talent right here? It's such a great game but the cliches continue among most Americans because we have a void in charisma and passion at the top to make the US a great soccer power. Klinnsman just wants 11 Messi's to show up at camp rather than getting his hand dirty creating them.

His stated goal for 2018 WC is to get to the semi's. Who would want to play for this guy? Even if the odds are long, what is the point of striving to be #4?. Herb Brooks would not let a guy like Klinnsman get anywhere near his team.

I also have to add that he knocked Landon Donovan's contribution to US soccer on THE DAY Donovan played his last national game. No class.

This just occurred to me, but I'd give Landon a shot. He seems to be getting better as the guy who said he couldn't play's team gets worse. Anyone that wants greatness for US soccer as a whole. And someone who knows that we don't have to count on Europe to accomplish it.

In the meantime, let's get the chant ready for 2018. Ready?

"We're # 4"
                      "We're # 4"
                      "We're # 4"

Comment

I'll be sending my son to college. You guys feel free to mortgage your sons' futures in the hopes that the U.S. plays pretty soccer in the World Cup. Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

Don't be a typical american idiot. If we actually made the semis in 2018, the US soccer world would explode with excitement. I like what Klinnsman is doing. He's not doing what other coaches have done. He's not caving to the popular choices. He's doing what he thinks is best. We'll see in a few years whether that worked or not. I'm not going to freak out over a friendly when neither us nor Ireland played their 11 best.

One thing I've always said is our biggest enemy is the geographical size of our country. We can't find the messi's because they could be living in Illinois or Tennessee or Oregon. Then what happens when we do find them at say age 13? Are we moving them to a national training center like they would in Europe? That's not how our culture is built. And in the end, I don't have a problem with that. We may not be a top four soccer power at the end of the day. Aren't there worse things than that?

Comment

The problem is at the top. Klinnnsman is not a leader with any ideas or charisma to grow US soccer. His plan is telling youth to go to Europe. What a plan! No, what a joke!

How about someone who grows the game and consequently the talent right here? It's such a great game but the cliches continue among most Americans because we have a void in charisma and passion at the top to make the US a great soccer power. Klinnsman just wants 11 Messi's to show up at camp rather than getting his hand dirty creating them.

His stated goal for 2018 WC is to get to the semi's. Who would want to play for this guy? Even if the odds are long, what is the point of striving to be #4?. Herb Brooks would not let a guy like Klinnsman get anywhere near his team.

I also have to add that he knocked Landon Donovan's contribution to US soccer on THE DAY Donovan played his last national game. No class.

This just occurred to me, but I'd give Landon a shot. He seems to be getting better as the guy who said he couldn't play's team gets worse. Anyone that wants greatness for US soccer as a whole. And someone who knows that we don't have to count on Europe to accomplish it.

In the meantime, let's get the chant ready for 2018. Ready?

"We're # 4"
                            "We're # 4"
                            "We're # 4"
                            The problem is there are no pathways for player movement built into the US system so keeping an aging player like Donvan around for a short term hurrah creates a log jam that ripples all the way down the pipe line. That pipe line is broken and there are just too many paths that lead to dead ends if you are trying to truly develop talent. The biggest is our reliance on the colleges. The problem with them in this sense is admission is based upon academics not soccer ability so a tremendous youth phenom who really should be playing against that level of competition for their soccer development can't until their class graduates to that level. That hampers that player's soccer development. The European approach side steps this problem to a degree.

Comment

I'll be sending my son to college. You guys feel free to mortgage your sons' futures in the hopes that the U.S. plays pretty soccer in the World Cup. Sounds like a plan to me.
                              Soccer in other parts of the world is essentially a vocational education. Plenty of jobs in it also.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X