Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheard on Sideline...

Coach speaking to 8 or 9 yo in an assertive voice: "Do you know why I took you out of the game? Do you? You dribbled by 3 players, and then you try to go by the fourth and he takes the ball off you. We have six players on the field--they all play soccer!! You've got to pass the ball!! Either you play the way we teach you or you're gonna sit on that bench a long time."

If he beat 3 kids and took on a 4th out of 5 (with 1 keeper) wouldn't he have at least a couple of teammates wide open to go 1 v keeper?

It's a balance but soccer is a team game. You want kids to be confident to take on a player off the dribble, but they also need to learn to keep their head up and look for good options by passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Coach speaking to 8 or 9 yo in an assertive voice: "Do you know why I took you out of the game? Do you? You dribbled by 3 players, and then you try to go by the fourth and he takes the ball off you. We have six players on the field--they all play soccer!! You've got to pass the ball!! Either you play the way we teach you or you're gonna sit on that bench a long time."
      It's too bad that more coaches aren't like this.

Comment

And...???

I fail to see a problem here.....

Comment

I wish this was a coach at my sons club.

Comment

It's too bad that more coaches aren't like this.
            No wonder we have problem at club soccer!
            Too many idiots like that one. I am sure Messi's coach was yelling at him to pass the ball also.

Comment

Too many idiots like that one. I am sure Messi's coach was yelling at him to pass the ball also.
              Are you trying to say every kid that gets the ball should try and dribble through the entire other team? Please let me know what club you are with so I can stay far away..

Comment

You make it sound like your kid is able to do it.

Are you trying to say every kid that gets the ball should try
                and dribble through the entire other team? Please let me know what club you are with so I can stay far away..

Comment

You said assertive voice. Not yelling, crazy, swearing coach. So I'm going to assume the coaches tone was appropriate.

Be thankful this is your coach. My kid plays U11 and there are still kids who won't pass.

Dribbling by 3 or more players is nothing to be proud of at any age.

Comment

No way Messi gets the ball taken away. That is the difference.

Comment

if he does this a lot you should expect the coach to pull him out but if he did this a few times over the course of the season he should be commended -not punished

Comment

The most overlooked part of Messi's game is his passing. He would agree with this coach.

Comment

On the one hand, at least the coach gave a reason to the kid.
                          On the other hand, the coach is at risk for squelching creativity.
                          There is a balance that has to be reached, but I am sure that any writing on teaching soccer to this age group would not discourage such behavior.
                          Team soccer does not need to be taught until later. This is a hard lesson for coaches and parents.....not the player.

However, if the coach makes it clear what he/she wants then that is that. If you don't like it then you have the right to find another coach on a another team at another club.

Comment

Cmon admit it ... These weren't 8 year olds but rather high school girls in states, right?

Comment

You said assertive voice. Not yelling, crazy, swearing coach. So I'm going to assume the coaches tone was appropriate.

Be thankful this is your coach. My kid plays U11 and there are still kids who won't pass.

Dribbling by 3 or more players is nothing to be proud of at any age.
                              My kid's HS team has kids that won't pass! At any age that's all well and good if you keep the ball and/or have the shooting skills to actually score. But more often than not they lose the ball after all that work moving down the field and/or they shoot and miss by a mile. Players do need to learn having multiple assists on a stat sheet is also a good thing, but at U9 or whatever you can't blame them for wanting to score

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X