Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban Heading (here we go again)

Brandi says ban heading younger than U14.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/chastain/

I find this position a predictably well-intended, logically flawed approach to solving a problem where doesn't exist.

In more than a decade I've had one player, one, U12 or younger that was a confident, eager header of the ball. The notion that a player's own physical maturity and emotional confidence, along with and mostly a function of proper training, isn't a sufficient regulator in how a player progresses with heading in the game lacks foundation.

Beyond that, there isn't a head injury problem Ruth ages younger than U14. The ban crowd with their idea to ban would be doing absolutely nothing beyond a wild stab in the dark at moving the needle on occurrences of head injuries where they are happening in alarming numbers.

And oh by the way, there's no scientific data showing corollary, never mind causation, with heading a soccer ball.

Do I agree with Brandi on the technical points? Do I watch high school and think, why all this heading? Why not trap and possess? Absolutely.

But banning heading under high school ages will have zero impact.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I find this position a predictably well-intended, logically flawed approach to solving a problem where doesn't exist.

In more than a decade I've had one player, one, U12 or younger that was a confident, eager header of the ball. The notion that a player's own physical maturity and emotional confidence, along with and mostly a function of proper training, isn't a sufficient regulator in how a player progresses with heading in the game lacks foundation.

Beyond that, there isn't a head injury problem Ruth ages younger than U14. The ban crowd with their idea to ban would be doing absolutely nothing beyond a wild stab in the dark at moving the needle on occurrences of head injuries where they are happening in alarming numbers.

And oh by the way, there's no scientific data showing corollary, never mind causation, with heading a soccer ball.

Do I agree with Brandi on the technical points? Do I watch high school and think, why all this heading? Why not trap and possess? Absolutely.

Don't agree at all, my daughter's first concussion came at 12 as she was "running through a ball". She thrust her head forward, the other kid pulled up, curled, and delivered a shoulder to my daughter's chest causing a classic whiplash concussion.

This would be an avoidable situation if heading was removed. Most kids under 14 can't even control the ball when they do get a head on it anyway. I actually think it would enhance the game.

Comment

This could possibly be the dumbest post ever written on TS.

Comment

Don't agree at all, my daughter's first concussion came at 12 as she was "running through a ball". She thrust her head forward, the other kid pulled up, curled, and delivered a shoulder to my daughter's chest causing a classic whiplash concussion.

This would be an avoidable situation if heading was removed. Most kids under 14 can't even control the ball when they do get a head on it anyway. I actually think it would enhance the game.
        Have to agree, especially for girls. There is plenty of medically supported evidence that their muscle development up until that age is insufficient. Then add to that most kids are not properly trained how to head the ball or given exercises to improve muscle strength. Also while there may be little evidence that "heading the ball" causes concussions, it is a fact that many concussions are head-to-head, more often than not two players going after the ball at the same time. One player is fine (usually the bigger one) and the other is wrecked.

I have no issues at all with getting rid of it for younger players. Let them focus on other skills, trapping, settling the ball, etc. If you've ever had a kid suffer a bad concussion you know you'd like to avoid them as much as possible

Comment

It is not so much the heading a ball that causes the concussion. I find it is the act of heading ball that results in a head to head collusion that really is the issue.

Either one is solve by no heading before high school.

I would also support that all players start wearing head gear. Just like hockey, it is time for soccer to evolve.

Comment

It is not so much the heading a ball that causes the concussion. I find it is the act of heading ball that results in a head to head collusion that really is the issue.

Either one is solve by no heading before high school.

I would also support that all players start wearing head gear. Just like hockey, it is time for soccer to evolve.
            Head gear has already been proven unhelpful. Heading before your skeletal system is strong enough to hold the weight of your head, never mind when heading a ball, makes total sense. In our town, the youth soccer coaches didn't let the kids head. I remember my daughter being reprimanded. I don't know if they were taught to coach that way or what the situation was, but I think it makes sense.

Comment

Have to agree, especially for girls. There is plenty of medically supported evidence that their muscle development up until that age is insufficient. Then add to that most kids are not properly trained how to head the ball or given exercises to improve muscle strength. Also while there may be little evidence that "heading the ball" causes concussions, it is a fact that many concussions are head-to-head, more often than not two players going after the ball at the same time. One player is fine (usually the bigger one) and the other is wrecked.

I have no issues at all with getting rid of it for younger players. Let them focus on other skills, trapping, settling the ball, etc. If you've ever had a kid suffer a bad concussion you know you'd like to avoid them as much as possible
              If we implemented heading training along with the proper neck muscle exercises, we'd be accused as pariahs. Nobody would follow the regimen. And if muscle development is "insufficient", why are they playing the game at all?
              Everybody wants it both ways, all the time. Either play or don't, but soccer, as with many sports, has inherent risks. Stop trying to legislate them out of the game.
              You must be from Winchester.

Comment

If we implemented heading training along with the proper neck muscle exercises, we'd be accused as pariahs. Nobody would follow the regimen. And if muscle development is "insufficient", why are they playing the game at all?
                Everybody wants it both ways, all the time. Either play or don't, but soccer, as with many sports, has inherent risks. Stop trying to legislate them out of the game.
                not the op but they are correct that neck muscles are under-developed, not all muscles which you seem to have interpreted. OP and others are also correct that many soccer concussions come from two players going head-to-head.

Comment

Westminster? But yes, spot on.

Comment

Sorry your daughter got hurt, but I'd say it falls under logical fallacy unless you have something else a little more fact based and less anecdotal refutes how banning heading is a practical step.

Let me put it this way, with accepting every apparent concern and premise, why allow heading ever?

Comment

I've had 8 players in 3 years. I care very much about preventing what I can. Not one has been related to heading ball. Identifying and treating concussions is rightfully the area of focus within the sport. By comparison, I find this discussion emotionally based, not rational, and a distraction from the issue.

Comment

If we teach our children how to head a ball properly then our children will experience no concussions. The reason why our kids get concussions is because they do not know how to head a ball properly. Fix that can you fix the concussion problem.

Comment

If we teach our children how to head a ball properly then our children will experience no concussions. The reason why our kids get concussions is because they do not know how to head a ball properly. Fix that can you fix the concussion problem.
                          You can still get a concussion if a kid intends to hit the ball properly and some other kid pushes or something that allows the ball to connect incorrectly. This is even worse in cold weather when the ball is too hard. The air expands in the ball.

Comment

I suggest you dig a little deeper into the subject. It's not just about learning to head the ball, but being physically able to without injury. One of the reasons females are more prone to injury than their male counterparts is their lack of neck strength. This is also the reason they are suggesting postponing heading until adolescence.

Might I also add that we get away from the more physical side of soccer promoted in English style of soccer and focus on playing a more Spanish style?

Comment

I don't have exact numbers but many concussions come from head-head contact when two players are both fighting for the ball. That has nothing to do with proper technique. Usually the smaller player is the one or the one with less momentum bears the brunt of it. Basic physics.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X