Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not if you want to play in the better tournaments. It has nothing to do with a resume and everything to do with access to better competition.
    Nonsense. An example from yesterday: Twice as many SEC as Big 10 teams making the women's NCAAs, Rutgers getting a bid over Michigan, that's the kind of snub that's just not happening when it comes to club soccer and GotSoccer points dictating placement and invites. Feel free to make a list of examples highlighting your point that GS pts. are relevant in any way beyond bragging on TS.

Comment

Nonsense. An example from yesterday: Twice as many SEC as Big 10 teams making the women's NCAAs, Rutgers getting a bid over Michigan, that's the kind of snub that's just not happening when it comes to club soccer and GotSoccer points dictating placement and invites. Feel free to make a list of examples highlighting your point that GS pts. are relevant in any way beyond bragging on TS.
      Have you ever been to a good tournament outside MA? Points are used to dictate table placement at almost all major tournaments. Sure there are exceptions to team placement, but we have done manhatten, Bethesda, Disney, Jefferson, etc. and groups tend to perform in line with expectations.

Now, if you told me that a #20 was playing #31 I would say toss up. If you said #5 was playing #198 I would take #5...

Comment

NEP season is far from over with dozens of make up games still to be played.

You'll see points in December.

Comment

Have you ever been to a good tournament outside MA? Points are used to dictate table placement at almost all major tournaments. Sure there are exceptions to team placement, but we have done manhatten, Bethesda, Disney, Jefferson, etc. and groups tend to perform in line with expectations.

Now, if you told me that a #20 was playing #31 I would say toss up. If you said #5 was playing #198 I would take #5...
          So you need GS points to know #5 is playing #198? Of course you don't.

If you think clubs couldn't just as successfully place their own teams within a collaborative process with tournament organizers without using GS points, then you must believe the sun began rising and setting here on earth with the dawn of GotSoccer points. I don't.

And you just conceded my point with your "toss up" comment.

Comment

I still don't understand how the points are portioned by finishing position.

If the division value is 7000 does the first place team get 7000 points or a percentage?

What percentage does 2nd place get? Third?

Comment

And I would say that if you're going to play a big tournament outside of MA then you'll notice that teams from other regions are placed in higher brackets with significantly lower points so don't be shocked. Here in the NE, we hoard all of the points.

Comment

I still don't understand how the points are portioned by finishing position.

If the division value is 7000 does the first place team get 7000 points or a percentage?

What percentage does 2nd place get? Third?
                The winner receives the 7000 points minus 20% of its current points. Click on the "Help" button on the rankings page and it explains it all.

Comment

The winner receives the 7000 points minus 20% of its current points. Click on the "Help" button on the rankings page and it explains it all.
                  for league points, first place get 100% of 7000 (-20%), second place get 90% of 7000 (-20%) third gets 80% and so on, which is why 7th place teams get a good chunk of points if the value is high to begin with.

Comment

for league points, first place get 100% of 7000 (-20%), second place get 90% of 7000 (-20%) third gets 80% and so on, which is why 7th place teams get a good chunk of points if the value is high to begin with.
                    I thought only the winner got those points and the rest of the teams get individual game points - 30 points for a win etc

Comment

So you need GS points to know #5 is playing #198? Of course you don't.

If you think clubs couldn't just as successfully place their own teams within a collaborative process with tournament organizers without using GS points, then you must believe the sun began rising and setting here on earth with the dawn of GotSoccer points. I don't.

And you just conceded my point with your "toss up" comment.
                      GS is not a predictor of who will win any particular game. Maybe not even what team is subjectively "better." Some people make such claims, they are simplistic, so just take the high road and ignore them.

GS is helpful to more efficiently handle the task mentioned, that of forming groups of teams for a tournament. Yes, it could be done by a collaborative process with tournament organizers, and that still happens. But it is done way more efficiently when those collaborating have access to an objective analysis. Even if you don't like how points are calculated, just use it to see what competition each team has faced, and how they have fared. That alone is worth a lot, when the alternative is various teams self-reporting their results, maybe something's incorrect or omitted, and it's not collated in any way. That's the pre-GS way, and do you think it resulted in harmonious collaboration, or frequent criticism of "gaming."

GS also allows tourney organizers to more easily place teams that have previously played each other into the same or different groups, depending on their objectives. Also, if there's going to a flight of 16 teams, some tourneys want to put the 4 best in group A, while others want to spread the 4 best among groups A, B, C and D. These and other things are more readily done with a tool like GS.

Just don't worry if your team has 397 points and is playing a team with 1,156. They're not necessarily better, so your team can still win the game.

Comment

GS is not a predictor of who will win any particular game. Maybe not even what team is subjectively "better." Some people make such claims, they are simplistic, so just take the high road and ignore them.

GS is helpful to more efficiently handle the task mentioned, that of forming groups of teams for a tournament. Yes, it could be done by a collaborative process with tournament organizers, and that still happens. But it is done way more efficiently when those collaborating have access to an objective analysis. Even if you don't like how points are calculated, just use it to see what competition each team has faced, and how they have fared. That alone is worth a lot, when the alternative is various teams self-reporting their results, maybe something's incorrect or omitted, and it's not collated in any way. That's the pre-GS way, and do you think it resulted in harmonious collaboration, or frequent criticism of "gaming."

GS also allows tourney organizers to more easily place teams that have previously played each other into the same or different groups, depending on their objectives. Also, if there's going to a flight of 16 teams, some tourneys want to put the 4 best in group A, while others want to spread the 4 best among groups A, B, C and D. These and other things are more readily done with a tool like GS.

Just don't worry if your team has 397 points and is playing a team with 1,156. They're not necessarily better, so your team can still win the game.
                        Well said

Comment

When does GS update their points next?

Comment

Gotsoccer must be run by the same people that enter Maple scores.

Comment

When does GS update their points next?
                              Month end's I thnk

Comment

Gotsoccer must be run by the same people that enter Maple scores.
                                Will MAPLE teams be getting GotSoccer points?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X