Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Referees

The question I always see on this forum is why soccer in America will never make it to levels in other country? Well, there are a ton of answers for that question, and one is the lack of quality referees. I get that you have to accept refs as you get them or else there won’t be anyone to officiate games, but that is just a copout. Referees need to be evaluated. Wether by peers or randomly by referee assignors. Real referees, the ones who take pride in wearing the uniform, would accept being evaluated. Because, as with most players and coaches, they want to get better at their craft and wouldn’t object. The refs who will object will be those fat, lazy, slobs who don’t want to run and just want to Show up to ref 5 or 6 games on a weekend to collect $400 or more.

It is a shame when all a person has to do is sit behind their computer and take an online training to get certified. American football and basketball refs have to be field evaluated before they get their certification. So does baseball umpires. I’ve witnessed a ref wearing two knee braces reffing a U17 match and missed so many calls because he couldn’t keep up with the play.

Originally posted by Real Ref View Post
    The question I always see on this forum is why soccer in America will never make it to levels in other country? Well, there are a ton of answers for that question, and one is the lack of quality referees. I get that you have to accept refs as you get them or else there won’t be anyone to officiate games, but that is just a copout. Referees need to be evaluated. Wether by peers or randomly by referee assignors. Real referees, the ones who take pride in wearing the uniform, would accept being evaluated. Because, as with most players and coaches, they want to get better at their craft and wouldn’t object. The refs who will object will be those fat, lazy, slobs who don’t want to run and just want to Show up to ref 5 or 6 games on a weekend to collect $400 or more.

It is a shame when all a person has to do is sit behind their computer and take an online training to get certified. American football and basketball refs have to be field evaluated before they get their certification. So does baseball umpires. I’ve witnessed a ref wearing two knee braces reffing a U17 match and missed so many calls because he couldn’t keep up with the play.
    This post might win the internet as the stupidest post ever. Nice job!

Comment

If you are a ref (????) what are you doing to help raise the level?

All my kids ref or did in the past. They All had in person training in combination with online rules testing. My main complaint is once certified they were very much on their own. But that was most likely driven by not enough skilled refs like yourself (???) on the fields with them. More in-the-game supervision makes for more confident young refs who stick it out. Then there's the grown adults who often make reffing miserable.

Comment

Officiating in youth soccer is horrible at best (though there are a few really good ones around).

To randomly address some points from the above posts:

-This is not one of the reasons soccer fails in this country, it is a clear symptom. Those other sports have a lot more attention in the US, you will naturally be better at catching the minute details of a game if you have truly loved it and watched it your entire life.

-The kids are usually the better refs. They seem to generally care (as much as teenagers can) and are usually more into soccer than some of the old guys that just want an easy retirement job.

-Is double Knee Brace guy from tampa!!?? He has a reputation man... dude is a lazy piece of sh1t that just wants his 20$. stands in the middle of the field and does as little as possible, refuses to be AR because he knows people will lose their mind when he just stands at midfield and tries to make offsides calls.

-Stupidest post ever??? you must be new here... while this is pretty dumb butthurt dad has a way to go before he "wins" anything lol

Comment

Maaaad!

Wow, great insight! Without even discussing why you think the post is stupid. You apparently took time to read it, I think. Or perhaps you’re offended because you’re one of those out of shape slobs posing as a ref. 👏👏👏

Comment

evaluation

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            If you are a ref (????) what are you doing to help raise the level?

All my kids ref or did in the past. They All had in person training in combination with online rules testing. My main complaint is once certified they were very much on their own. But that was most likely driven by not enough skilled refs like yourself (???) on the fields with them. More in-the-game supervision makes for more confident young refs who stick it out. Then there's the grown adults who often make reffing miserable.
            I've actually spoken to regional referee assignors about implementing an evaluation program and have refs perform annual refreshers and the response I get was, "who's gonna pay for it?" or "who's got the time?" As a ref, I've always taken my task seriously, If I showed up to a match and didn't feel fit enough to center, I'd let one of my younger, or "less experienced" ref center and use it as a mentoring, and I'd be upfront with the coaches to let them know that. I believe, just as we are trying to develop the next great generation of soccer players, it is just as important to develop the next generation of referees.

Comment

I've actually spoken to regional referee assignors about implementing an evaluation program and have refs perform annual refreshers and the response I get was, "who's gonna pay for it?" or "who's got the time?" As a ref, I've always taken my task seriously, If I showed up to a match and didn't feel fit enough to center, I'd let one of my younger, or "less experienced" ref center and use it as a mentoring, and I'd be upfront with the coaches to let them know that. I believe, just as we are trying to develop the next great generation of soccer players, it is just as important to develop the next generation of referees.
              I'm just a parent, but we are on a friendly basis with a guy that we realized over the summer was a guy in charge of assigning refs... asked him the same thing and he laughed and said he is always short handed as it is, if they started giving guys the boot that weren't in good enough shape or didn't know the game well enough he would only have half a dozen guys to do a few hundred games a week lol. Have also had him as an official though... he is legit.

Comment

I'm just a parent, but we are on a friendly basis with a guy that we realized over the summer was a guy in charge of assigning refs... asked him the same thing and he laughed and said he is always short handed as it is, if they started giving guys the boot that weren't in good enough shape or didn't know the game well enough he would only have half a dozen guys to do a few hundred games a week lol. Have also had him as an official though... he is legit.
                There would never be any refs at high school games if there was a fitness test. Who else is free to ref a game at 4pm during the week but retirees?

Comment

It’s not just the US . In Europe for U18 and down you only get one ref and club is expected to provide Assistant/linesmen . They don’t have to be qualified either .
                  There was a FIFA report a couple of years back that forecast a 40% drop in qualified referees in the next 10 years .

Comment

It’s not just the US . In Europe for U18 and down you only get one ref and club is expected to provide Assistant/linesmen . They don’t have to be qualified either .
                    There was a FIFA report a couple of years back that forecast a 40% drop in qualified referees in the next 10 years .
                    Even highly qualified and experienced professional refs, covering the highest level games, get it wrong sometimes. Human error is a part of the game and can never be fully eliminated. We will run out of refs if younger ones drop out a year after they start.

Comment

It’s not just the refs that suck....as Eddie Johnson said in another post....American kids just don’t have it in them to become world class players...our current best player on the national team is in and out of Chelsea’s lineup...meanwhile players from the Netherlands or Uruguay with a population of about 5 million, play and start for teams as good if not better than Chelsea...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X