Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP Politics

Is it me or is ODP in WA based on where the coach is based on a club job. Just looking at the teams there seems to be some oddities. Ie the G04 team is made up of SU girls who in my opinion shouldn’t be there unless the better girls chose not to play which may be the case. It just seems that ODP has become irrelevant to the growth. Heck half of them will make regional camp.

It is not about the best players anymore. It is about those that can pay and will go.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Is it me or is ODP in WA based on where the coach is based on a club job. Just looking at the teams there seems to be some oddities. Ie the G04 team is made up of SU girls who in my opinion shouldn’t be there unless the better girls chose not to play which may be the case. It just seems that ODP has become irrelevant to the growth. Heck half of them will make regional camp.
      What a shocker -- 04s are coached by SU ECNL coach & head of SU ECNL

Comment

My sons coach was only at one practice prior to roster selection so....yes the team is formed of players from the coach’s club. We knew our son was borderline, but there are some omitted players that are leaps and bounds better than those selected.

Comment

What a shocker -- 04s are coached by SU ECNL coach & head of SU ECNL
          From what I know, none of the returning Pac players returned to the tryouts except 1 player...this after the Pac coach who coached them the previous years didn't return to EPD. Therefore the players were heard stating since they were traveling more this season with ECNL they didn't want to have more time away/money spent and so didn't come out. Crossfire also never sends out their players. WPFC has a few on the team that I can gather from the roster as does Sound FC and a few other players from other clubs.

Based off the research and what the girls talk about I am going out on a hunch to say that if there were other players who wanted to be on the team they should have tried out.

However, to say shocker as if the coaches took only their clubs players is theoretically not fair if the players from other clubs don't show up. I think coaches want to compete and after the 04 team won the event last year I would find it hard pressed to think the coaches would not pick the BEST players from tryouts to go after a repeat of champions.

Comment

Our kids have played ECNL. We didn't want to spend the time or money for what appears to be minimal extra exposure or competition. Our players were never too jazzed about even trying out. To be honest.

Comment

From what I know, none of the returning Pac players returned to the tryouts except 1 player...this after the Pac coach who coached them the previous years didn't return to EPD. Therefore the players were heard stating since they were traveling more this season with ECNL they didn't want to have more time away/money spent and so didn't come out. Crossfire also never sends out their players. WPFC has a few on the team that I can gather from the roster as does Sound FC and a few other players from other clubs.

Based off the research and what the girls talk about I am going out on a hunch to say that if there were other players who wanted to be on the team they should have tried out.

However, to say shocker as if the coaches took only their clubs players is theoretically not fair if the players from other clubs don't show up. I think coaches want to compete and after the 04 team won the event last year I would find it hard pressed to think the coaches would not pick the BEST players from tryouts to go after a repeat of champions.
              Piggy backing off this, in (recent) previous years the 03 EPD team was heavily PAC and GSSurf players who were coached by a PAC coach and when ECNL opened up, those Surf girls joined PAC.

Comment

The same coach picked nearly all seattle u players at the highscool they coach at for varsity. Yet when the jv and varsity scrimmaged the jv team beat them.

Comment

Opd

OPD is largely irrelevant given most top players are seeking to be recruited by college coaches and a very small percentage nationwide are Olympic team material. While it is another thing to add to your child’s resume, my understanding is there is very little exposure to college coaches. Now that more kids are playing for ECNL or DA, the added cost can be prohibitive as well. Is there favoritism? Of course there is favoritism. It usually isnt for the kids everyone agrees are obvious standouts. The favoritism usually comes into play for the “good” player that plays at the coach’s club or a coach puts in a good word to the buddy coaching the team. I distinctly remember a parent bragging at Starfire that his kid who played at PAC didn’t even need to tryout because the coach, who happened to coach at PAC, knew his kid was “good”. Now could this been a parent spouting off a lie, maybe, but don’t fool yourself. Favoritism happens at OPD and any other time kids are selected for teams. If your kid’s goal is to play in college, get them private lessons so the build on their technical skills. Have them reach out to coaches. Cast a wide net and then pair the list down. Spend the time to put together a video. A professional level video is great but a video put together by mom/dad is better than no video. Help your kid use club connections. While your kid’s character and play is going to get them recruited, having some help getting a college coach on the line is helpful.

Comment

Let's be clear here, folks. EPD aka WA ODP is owned by PacNW. It is as political AF. EPD used to be by club coach's recommendation who gets to tryout, but now, it is "open" tryouts. EPD can be fun at the younger age groups, but as your player gets older, it become more irrelevant. There are backroom politics and coach's recommendations, but that is with all orgs.

There are players that should not be there and I suspect that PacNW are allowing players from different clubs as an agreement as a feeder to EPD. It can be expensive: $350+ for pool fees, $1500+ if you get to travel to Region IV, $1000 for Regional camp, $$$$ for ODP Interregionals, $500 for Friendship cup. The olders have 3 ECNL showcases and 1-2 summer/fall tournaments, where lots of college coaches will be there. Not as many coaches at ODP, but some there. ODP isn't what is used to be. i suspect PacNW is trying to keep it relevant, but with so many other options, I do not see the value of it much more.

Also, ECNL has Conference selection program (CSP) formerly PDP, so you have an ODP like thing already. Now with a new ICC thingy from ECNL. Lots of things for exposure, lots of money, lots of spending time. Coaches recruit players not teams or clubs. So, make sure your player has good grades, test scores, and play soccer at the highest level and exposure. Good luck.

Comment

WA EPD/ODP in its present state is just another pay-to-play scam and a way for club coaches to subsidize their incomes and add another notch on their resume.

Comment

Let's be clear here, folks. EPD aka WA ODP is owned by PacNW. It is as political AF. EPD used to be by club coach's recommendation who gets to tryout, but now, it is "open" tryouts. EPD can be fun at the younger age groups, but as your player gets older, it become more irrelevant. There are backroom politics and coach's recommendations, but that is with all orgs.

There are players that should not be there and I suspect that PacNW are allowing players from different clubs as an agreement as a feeder to EPD. It can be expensive: $350+ for pool fees, $1500+ if you get to travel to Region IV, $1000 for Regional camp, $$$$ for ODP Interregionals, $500 for Friendship cup. The olders have 3 ECNL showcases and 1-2 summer/fall tournaments, where lots of college coaches will be there. Not as many coaches at ODP, but some there. ODP isn't what is used to be. i suspect PacNW is trying to keep it relevant, but with so many other options, I do not see the value of it much more.

Also, ECNL has Conference selection program (CSP) formerly PDP, so you have an ODP like thing already. Now with a new ICC thingy from ECNL. Lots of things for exposure, lots of money, lots of spending time. Coaches recruit players not teams or clubs. So, make sure your player has good grades, test scores, and play soccer at the highest level and exposure. Good luck.
                        Good advice. EPD not a measure of potential either. We know a kid who plays for Sounders Academy who was turned away by EPD at younger age. Kids develop at their own rate. EPD might be a great opportunity and fun for some kids, but more soccer also means more chance of overuse injury as well. Parents needs to chill.

Comment

Spot on.

The politics are worse than at clubs.

But anyone who thinks that PacNW (or any one club) is running the EPD show has no idea what they're talking about.

The coaches at each age group are from all over. Some age groups are better than others, but I've found the open tryouts to be laughable in terms of providing a meaningful opportunity for players to "show" for coaches who don't know them.

Comment

odp politics

We have participated in ODP for the last 6 years and have seen it become more PAC dominant with PAC coaches year after year. Players that have gone to regional and even national camps aren't selected so that an assistant coach's high school players could go instead. It just seems like a joke. There should be some sort of oversight to at least look like the best players are selected.

Comment

I don't know about ODP. My kids never went. ECNL provides way enough exposure and has gotten them all where they want to be following (as far as college playing opportunities). That said, I can't see anyone legitimately ripping on Pac. They produce some pretty dang good players. In my view. This is only coming from the girls side (all mine are the superior sex.....) and my girls playing their different age groups over the last several years. And, no, we've never been PAC. My view of PAC (on the girls side) is they can move the ball very well, they have pretty good field sense, and they can put out some pretty respectable players. Nothing to be ashamed of. However, that can also be said of SU, WPFC, XF, you name it. They all do pretty well by their players. If their players want to train.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X