X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My goals are irrelevant.

My child’s goals are irrelevant to the discussion of systemic problems that are inherent in the current MLS business model. IMO...MLS academies are a necessary evil in the minds of MLS owners with an eye toward profitability. Perhaps one day that will not be the case, however, that day is not today. I guess, some have a long term view and envision an environment where Clubs can profit on their investments like an Ajax or Dortmund. I hope MLS evolves to that point. Then...and only then....will we see significant financial investment in MLS academies. Just my opinion, though, as a business man.
    What happened to kicking ass? or is it all about the bennys?

Comment

My goals are irrelevant.

My child’s goals are irrelevant to the discussion of systemic problems that are inherent in the current MLS business model. IMO...MLS academies are a necessary evil in the minds of MLS owners with an eye toward profitability. Perhaps one day that will not be the case, however, that day is not today. I guess, some have a long term view and envision an environment where Clubs can profit on their investments like an Ajax or Dortmund. I hope MLS evolves to that point. Then...and only then....will we see significant financial investment in MLS academies. Just my opinion, though, as a business man.
      It is very relevant. As a business man you should know. In all business, the product generate profits. Your child is the product. Playing soccer without goal will usually guarantee a poor product.

Comment

How much does it cost a year to run a funded MLS academy? What is the budget?

How does the MLS franchise recoup that investment? Is there a way to recoup money invested besides selling players / transfer fees? If so, how much do they recoup for a homegrown player that signs with the Club?
        This is from a survey done a few years ago. Most will have RDS programs and camps to help offset costs, but they're still spending some real $ to train 99 kids that at most will play in college and 1 pro prospect that they might make a few $ off some day.
        http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...eir-academies/

9. New England Revolution: $1 million
        t8. D.C. United: $1.5 million
        t8. Montreal Impact: $1.5 million
        6. Chicago Fire: $1.75 million
        5. Columbus Crew: $2.5 million
        t4. FC Dallas: $3 million
        t4. Portland Timbers: $3 million
        t1. LA Galaxy: $4 million
        t1. Philadelphia Union: $4 million

Comment

My goals are irrelevant.

US parents and laws are averse to selling off kids for profits. Thousands of kids never make it through international academies or never have decent pro careers. Their lives and educations suffer along the way. College is the goal here for most families, not going pro. that is the dichotomy here - clubs want pro players they can profit off of, most families don't want that. It's one reason why MLS clubs may split from USSF. They just announced more expansion teams, making that split more feasible soon.

Comment

Well there is always recreational leagues, its cheap and less stress. If you think you have a real talent and you are from Latin America or similar where the sport is strong then I suggest you pack up and go. The chances of shining in those countries are much better than any program, college..etc in the USA. Truth is the 99% of you paying for clubs, private training..etc..etc. are just spending money your kid could use to become a doctor or lawyer. If you like ******* away money for fun in soccer, then so be it and we'll see you soon on the welfare line.

Comment

Well there is always recreational leagues, its cheap and less stress. If you think you have a real talent and you are from Latin America or similar where the sport is strong then I suggest you pack up and go. The chances of shining in those countries are much better than any program, college..etc in the USA. Truth is the 99% of you paying for clubs, private training..etc..etc. are just spending money your kid could use to become a doctor or lawyer. If you like ******* away money for fun in soccer, then so be it and we'll see you soon on the welfare line.
              True true

Comment

You're missing the point in the U.S. - the truth is the "99% of you paying for clubs, private training..etc..etc." are the same families that "have the money to help them to become a doctor or lawyer."Maybe in your house it's soccer or doctor or lawyer. But in many U.S. houses it's soccer and doctor or lawyer.

Comment

You're missing the point in the U.S. - the truth is the "99% of you paying for clubs, private training..etc..etc." are the same families that "have the money to help them to become a doctor or lawyer."Maybe in your house it's soccer or doctor or lawyer. But in many U.S. houses it's soccer and doctor or lawyer.
                  This is a very good post. My wife and I work hard, and financially we do well. We are fortunate to be able to have our kids do activities. Two of our kids play soccer, but it’s strictly recreational, although our one son played on one of the best teams in the country, and after U14 most of his team ended up at one of the top MLS academies, but even those boys have college as the goal. After they graduate from college maybe they play MLS or USL or something below that, but they have a college degree to fall back on. Music, art or sport is paired with education, not put before it. The USMNT is in a down cycle, but I’ve seen them beat South American and European sides in meaningful competition and friendlies. The US will always be competitive, but not much beyond that. It is what it is

Comment

This is a very good post. My wife and I work hard, and financially we do well. We are fortunate to be able to have our kids do activities. Two of our kids play soccer, but it’s strictly recreational, although our one son played on one of the best teams in the country, and after U14 most of his team ended up at one of the top MLS academies, but even those boys have college as the goal. After they graduate from college maybe they play MLS or USL or something below that, but they have a college degree to fall back on. Music, art or sport is paired with education, not put before it. The USMNT is in a down cycle, but I’ve seen them beat South American and European sides in meaningful competition and friendlies. The US will always be competitive, but not much beyond that. It is what it is
                    I agree we just don’t have the IQ for it. It starts when your 6-7 yrs old, we try to implement these things at 16 and it’s to late to catch up. Comes down to very high level training at a young age and a Mgr that is very sophisticated the coaches that are capable are with the older kids when they need to be with the younger ones. So are only way to compete is with big strong physical kids. This is the American game! These things have been said for the last 20 yrs ! As the poster said it is what it is can’t fight it.

Comment

It seem every one on talking soccer knows this but, still youth soccer is a booming business. Clubs are looking to hire ex national team coaches or player. Parents rush to sign their kids up. Hoping for the national team call up. Some how everyone thinks America soccer is failing. American soccer is a succeeding. American capitalism at its finest.

Comment

It seem every one on talking soccer knows this but, still youth soccer is a booming business. Clubs are looking to hire ex national team coaches or player. Parents rush to sign their kids up. Hoping for the national team call up. Some how everyone thinks America soccer is failing. American soccer is a succeeding. American capitalism at its finest.
                        And up until the last cycle the US were beating South American and European powers and having success in world cups. The US will be fine after they get rid of Berhalter . The only thing wrong with US Soccer is the US Soccer federation.

Comment

And up until the last cycle the US were beating South American and European powers and having success in world cups. The US will be fine after they get rid of Berhalter . The only thing wrong with US Soccer is the US Soccer federation.
                          If by success you mean we actually qualified for the WC? Yes. We never went far but at least we were in the hunt. Now we probably won't qualify until we share hosting duties in the 2026

Comment

I am MLS academy coach for 5 year and the problem with what you said is, you are lying. I can tell you how to make a 9 figure player. Too many experts in youth soccer and not enough common sense.
                            Well you guys are a huge part of the problem. MLS and USSF have been around since I was playing as a kid. You've never managed to promote the sport, and you've never managed to field winning teams - unless we are talking about one "C" rated MLS team play another. Soccer in the U.S. will progress ONLY when we get teams that regularly compete internationally, and when professional soccer in this country supports youth development.

Comment

Well you guys are a huge part of the problem. MLS and USSF have been around since I was playing as a kid. You've never managed to promote the sport, and you've never managed to field winning teams - unless we are talking about one "C" rated MLS team play another. Soccer in the U.S. will progress ONLY when we get teams that regularly compete internationally, and when professional soccer in this country supports youth development.
                              The USMNT has competed on an international level since the mid 1990's and have had some great results. Sure we all want better, but right now US Soccer are holding growth back. US Soccer got in the way of that during the last WC cycle and are still getting in the way now. Only solution is cleaning house at US Soccer. The MLS is a good product, and has raised the level of the game on a larger scale. The MLS has not hurt the game, but has created more opportunity for players. Professional sports in general are hurting in the US. Young people don't care to go to watch pro or college sports games, especially in FL when there are so many other things to do in FL. NFL, NHL, MLB and most college football programs play in front of half-full venues, it's never hard to get a ticket. MLS is one of the more entertaining sports the US has to offer. I think Inter Miami will do well, I think people we watch at the bar, but I am not sure how many people they will put in the seats.

Comment

You dumb f uck jump all over me and believe the mls general manager. That the reason why your kid can't play soccer. The parents don't have common sense.
                                Dumb f uck yourself! Not everybody has kids playing youth soccer! Lol tool!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X