Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US will never compete because of system

So I’ve sat here on talking soccer before and read all the comments for the past couple seasons about how we will never compete with the rest of the world and it finally came to realization this season when some financial troubles hit and it has been a struggle for my kid to play soccer and we have had a couple other kids on our team that are not as financially able as some of our other parents and I have come to realize that it is mostly about money if you can pay for your kid to play you can try out for the top teams but if you don’t have the money then no use in trying out for those teams if you don’t have the money to watch a kid play soccer at tournaments like IMG then you can’t watch a kid play so it seems like this where it is more about the rich instead of allowing kids who are talented to play in this country and that’s why we will never compete.

Sorry for your struggles, but I sincerely hope your kid is paying attention in his/ her English classes. Punctuation is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So I’ve sat here on talking soccer before and read all the comments for the past couple seasons about how we will never compete with the rest of the world and it finally came to realization this season when some financial troubles hit and it has been a struggle for my kid to play soccer and we have had a couple other kids on our team that are not as financially able as some of our other parents and I have come to realize that it is mostly about money if you can pay for your kid to play you can try out for the top teams but if you don’t have the money then no use in trying out for those teams if you don’t have the money to watch a kid play soccer at tournaments like IMG then you can’t watch a kid play so it seems like this where it is more about the rich instead of allowing kids who are talented to play in this country and that’s why we will never compete.
      You are correct.

I’m an MLS general manager. For years I would scout the European Leagues for talent to bring in on the transfer market to help us win championships. However, when I analyzed our budget, I realized that I did not have the revenue to actually purchase top quality players.

So, I turned my attention to developing our own talent. We could invest in signing our own youth players. Well...that was a poor investment. The homegrown players were minimal saving against the salary cap and we rarely sell players for big money. Top players that we have invested in will occasionally leave to Europe and we we will get paid....nothing. We still run the academy, but it’s more of a marketing campaign locally than anything. Who knows...maybe one day we will be able to sell someone for 8 figures and start to edge the investment in our academy toward the black.

It turns out that Soccer in America is much much different than where I come from in Europe and even different from South America. The Clubs don’t make very much money, so the owners have to be really rich and willing to spend big money and potentially go into the red in order to spend and bring big players in. It’s really pay to play type situation.

Comment

You are correct.

I’m an MLS general manager. For years I would scout the European Leagues for talent to bring in on the transfer market to help us win championships. However, when I analyzed our budget, I realized that I did not have the revenue to actually purchase top quality players.

So, I turned my attention to developing our own talent. We could invest in signing our own youth players. Well...that was a poor investment. The homegrown players were minimal saving against the salary cap and we rarely sell players for big money. Top players that we have invested in will occasionally leave to Europe and we we will get paid....nothing. We still run the academy, but it’s more of a marketing campaign locally than anything. Who knows...maybe one day we will be able to sell someone for 8 figures and start to edge the investment in our academy toward the black.

It turns out that Soccer in America is much much different than where I come from in Europe and even different from South America. The Clubs don’t make very much money, so the owners have to be really rich and willing to spend big money and potentially go into the red in order to spend and bring big players in. It’s really pay to play type situation.
        I am MLS academy coach for 5 year and the problem with what you said is, you are lying. I can tell you how to make a 9 figure player. Too many experts in youth soccer and not enough common sense.

Comment

I am MLS academy coach for 5 year and the problem with what you said is, you are lying. I can tell you how to make a 9 figure player. Too many experts in youth soccer and not enough common sense.
          You are one of the problems then! Enlighten us tool!

Comment

If you’ve been an MLS academy coach for 5 years, then I’m assuming you’ve already produced a “9 figure (100 million)” players.

No? How about a 8 or 7 figure player?

Comment

You are correct.

yes inter is a marketing campaign

Comment

If you’ve been an MLS academy coach for 5 years, then I’m assuming you’ve already produced a “9 figure (100 million)” players.

No? How about a 8 or 7 figure player?
                I think now may be an appropriate time to point out two recent transfer fees that were paid for two of the most highly regarded American men’s academy products:

Tyler Adams...3 million for NYRB
                Weston Mckennie....Zero money for FC Dallas

So, MLS Coach, TS poster, of you can in fact develop a “9 figure” player, perhaps you should be running one of the MLS Clubs.

Comment

You are one of the problems then! Enlighten us tool!
                  You dumb f uck jump all over me and believe the mls general manager. That the reason why your kid can't play soccer. The parents don't have common sense.

Comment

You dumb f uck jump all over me and believe the mls general manager. That the reason why your kid can't play soccer. The parents don't have common sense.
                    Please explain how the MLS GM post was inaccurate. Also, I’m not the one jumping all over you, and I am always up to learn and listen. Seriously.

If you are an MLS coach...and I believe you....then, explain to us how that post was wrong. I’ll be the first one to eat crow.

Thank you.

Comment

How much does it cost a year to run a funded MLS academy? What is the budget?

How does the MLS franchise recoup that investment? Is there a way to recoup money invested besides selling players / transfer fees? If so, how much do they recoup for a homegrown player that signs with the Club?

Comment

How much does it cost a year to run a funded MLS academy? What is the budget?

How does the MLS franchise recoup that investment? Is there a way to recoup money invested besides selling players / transfer fees? If so, how much do they recoup for a homegrown player that signs with the Club?
                        Its a project they are selling and hope the return on investment comes one day, if not was just that an investment badly made. In inter they like maybe 5-6 kids which is their marketing the rest they are just there because they need to be in order to be MLS. Being part of MLS you have to have alot of money and alot to burn.

Most MLS academy players wont see a professional contract not in USL or MLS. But they can come back and play pick up games and wow us all when they used to be and put on their bio "semi professional" and all.

In the USA it all becomes pay to play regardless where you are.

Comment

Please explain how the MLS GM post was inaccurate. Also, I’m not the one jumping all over you, and I am always up to learn and listen. Seriously.

If you are an MLS coach...and I believe you....then, explain to us how that post was wrong. I’ll be the first one to eat crow.

Thank you.
                          What are your goal for your child soccer future?

Comment

Thank you.
                            What are your soccer goal for your child

Comment

What are your goal for your child soccer future?
                              My goals are irrelevant.

My child’s goals are irrelevant to the discussion of systemic problems that are inherent in the current MLS business model. IMO...MLS academies are a necessary evil in the minds of MLS owners with an eye toward profitability. Perhaps one day that will not be the case, however, that day is not today. I guess, some have a long term view and envision an environment where Clubs can profit on their investments like an Ajax or Dortmund. I hope MLS evolves to that point. Then...and only then....will we see significant financial investment in MLS academies. Just my opinion, though, as a business man.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X