Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How does bullying work in club play? When does it occur?

You show up for practice. You practice. You go home. At pre- driving ages parents are around. After kids start driving they are hurrying to get home or some other activity.

My kids often did not care for players on their teams over the years, but contact outside of practices and games was non-existent anyway. It can be a bit of an issue with school teams where hazing can come into play. Easy to stop though. Coach just assigns tasks and kids come to what they want. Freshman worried about seniors. Skip no practice stuff that does not also involve adults.
    At many club practices at many clubs, there's often a lot of standing around, out of earshot of both parents and the coach. Quite a bit of the bullying is verbal.

Comment

Perhaps there is more to the story than what was originally posted so don't jumped to conclusion folks. Remember adults, we are given false accusations all the time, I bet some of you can name a few off the top of your head that happened at the national level.

Name the club or it didn't happen.

Comment

At many club practices at many clubs, there's often a lot of standing around, out of earshot of both parents and the coach. Quite a bit of the bullying is verbal.
        I still do not get it. Are we talking 9 year olds here? Honestly, by the time kids are in high school they don't really have any non-field contact with anyone they don't actually like.

Comment

So you're basically saying the bullying is fine if they're not under 9 yo? I guess it comes down to whether or not we think soccer clubs should be trying to model good sportsmanship and character among their players or if its just all about winning games.

I still do not get it. Are we talking 9 year olds here? Honestly, by the time kids are in high school they don't really have any non-field contact with anyone they don't actually like.

Comment

Perhaps there is more to the story than what was originally posted so don't jumped to conclusion folks. Remember adults, we are given false accusations all the time, I bet some of you can name a few off the top of your head that happened at the national level.

Name the club or it didn't happen.
            Bizarre that you assume it's not true

Comment

Bizarre that you assume it's not true
              +1
              Not spoken like a parent. Hope you aren't a coach. Maybe a youth player. Your post just sounds strange for an adult related to youth soccer to post.

Comment

This info here is very true, and on point.

Though this is an anonymous board, I'm in favor of outing the club. Some coaches do read this and it may be passed on the DOC, who I assume you have already emailed. This is not something a club wants on it's resume. I am not fearful of posting my concerns here.

I have seen some bullying from A team girls. One coach who's been around for a long time, seemed to be in the "let the kids work it out view." It occurred right in front of him and he let them work it out. A non-confrontational smaller kid is screwed in this scenario.

Some mean girls thought it was fun taking my daughter's ball and playing keep away, even snatching the ball and booting it down the field. I instructed my DD to run through them and take her ball back forcefully Marshawn ***** style and give them a crazed MMA fighter stare. After knocking a few girls down if they touched her ball and letting them know she wasn't there to play, it stopped. This obviously isn't going to work against a bigger stronger bully.

It sounds like the club and coaches are trying to deal with it. After repeated violations, I would hope they would discipline the kid with a suspension or something.

I like the above method "they moved him up one year in age...."

The spouting racists crap crosses the line for me. Why tolerate that sh*t. No kids are born racist, it is learned. I wouldn't want the kid or their family at my club.
                Most girls grow out of this during after middle school. Have to remember that most of these girls are hyper competitive, so are the parents. Lots of idiocy comes from us, the parents. Usually there is a ring leader and a follower who cause most of the bullying. Best method is to teach your dd to show and to act with aggression. Talking ain't going to work. Slide tackle, bump, and play rough. They might fight back, but then she has to be even harder. Eventually, they will get the message or just grow out of it. Valuable lesson of not taking crap from people. Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Parental intervention or not, it is up to you.

If you have a team that actually likes each other and hang out outside of team functions, then you are truly fortunate. Heck, if you have parents that like each other, double fortunate. During hs ages, there are school friends and soccer friends. They usually do not ever mix, unless they attend the same hs. By then, most girls have learned the skills of verbal fighting, so it usually doesn't go beyond that. By junior year, most girls know which track they are on in college and soccer wise, so things like this is so middle school. Let the kids work it out, but you can coach them how to do it. Like my dad telling me to go fight my bully, but maybe that is so Ok, Boomer time. :)

Comment

Most girls grow out of this during after middle school. Have to remember that most of these girls are hyper competitive, so are the parents. Lots of idiocy comes from us, the parents. Usually there is a ring leader and a follower who cause most of the bullying. Best method is to teach your dd to show and to act with aggression. Talking ain't going to work. Slide tackle, bump, and play rough. They might fight back, but then she has to be even harder. Eventually, they will get the message or just grow out of it. Valuable lesson of not taking crap from people. Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Parental intervention or not, it is up to you.

If you have a team that actually likes each other and hang out outside of team functions, then you are truly fortunate. Heck, if you have parents that like each other, double fortunate. During hs ages, there are school friends and soccer friends. They usually do not ever mix, unless they attend the same hs. By then, most girls have learned the skills of verbal fighting, so it usually doesn't go beyond that. By junior year, most girls know which track they are on in college and soccer wise, so things like this is so middle school. Let the kids work it out, but you can coach them how to do it. Like my dad telling me to go fight my bully, but maybe that is so Ok, Boomer time. :)
                  Except these kids supposedly made racist comments and were disrespctful to the coach.

Comment

Except these kids supposedly made racist comments and were disrespctful to the coach.
                    Apple. Tree. Hate, racism, and bad manners are taught. Highly suspect. Where are the parents of these bullies? They were not part of the emails? Nobody talked to them that their kids are saying hateful things and being disrespectful to the coach? Are the parents like crazy, racists throwing up Nazi salutes or my kids didn't do nothing, prove it? Or is this the non-confrontational, passive aggressive style that we all love and know? This sounds so dysfunctional at many levels, so really hard to believe at face value. Bullying, yes. Out of control, bad mannered, racist kids backed up by crazy, racist parents and helpless victims? Sounds like a movie plot from "Bullies". When do teams get to vote who to promote to the A team? Come on. Stop it.

Comment

these kids haven't been kicked out of the club yet, why??

repeated racist comments toward a coach?? and players leaving the club due to being bullied?

makes no sense, what are they kids of the doc or what
                      Be a parent and if the club won’t deal with racist bullies, then walk with your kid and your wallet.

Comment

Apple. Tree. Hate, racism, and bad manners are taught. Highly suspect. Where are the parents of these bullies? They were not part of the emails? Nobody talked to them that their kids are saying hateful things and being disrespectful to the coach? Are the parents like crazy, racists throwing up Nazi salutes or my kids didn't do nothing, prove it? Or is this the non-confrontational, passive aggressive style that we all love and know? This sounds so dysfunctional at many levels, so really hard to believe at face value. Bullying, yes. Out of control, bad mannered, racist kids backed up by crazy, racist parents and helpless victims? Sounds like a movie plot from "Bullies". When do teams get to vote who to promote to the A team? Come on. Stop it.
                        The original poster didn't give a lot of detail, but she did say these kids were demoted to the B team for their behavior, so the parents must know something is up. And yes, sometimes kids learn racist attitudes from their parents, but depending on the age, they can also be picking up/trying on bad ideas from friends or the internet. There are tons of websites out there trying to radicalize youth, as well as efforts to get to kids through YouTube and gaming. Probably these kids aren't "radicalized," just entitled little a-holes. None of us know the details, but I give the poster the benefit of the doubt that something is very wrong at that club.

Comment

The original poster didn't give a lot of detail, but she did say these kids were demoted to the B team for their behavior, so the parents must know something is up. And yes, sometimes kids learn racist attitudes from their parents, but depending on the age, they can also be picking up/trying on bad ideas from friends or the internet. There are tons of websites out there trying to radicalize youth, as well as efforts to get to kids through YouTube and gaming. Probably these kids aren't "radicalized," just entitled little a-holes. None of us know the details, but I give the poster the benefit of the doubt that something is very wrong at that club.
                          Last summer I observed two kids, boys at Coerver like this. Doubtful it is them, however they are exactly or worse than described. Bellevue silver spoon kids. Haven't seen a dad in the picture. No parents at practice cept to pick them up. Belittled and bullied both girls and boys at practice. I didn't sign my DD up again for that location specifically because of those two kids. It happens. Matter of fact, if I had boys I would instruct them to beat the crap out of them at first occurance. Being real.

Comment

Last summer I observed two kids, boys at Coerver like this. Doubtful it is them, however they are exactly or worse than described. Bellevue silver spoon kids. Haven't seen a dad in the picture. No parents at practice cept to pick them up. Belittled and bullied both girls and boys at practice. I didn't sign my DD up again for that location specifically because of those two kids. It happens. Matter of fact, if I had boys I would instruct them to beat the crap out of them at first occurance. Being real.
                            My daughter once hit a very deliberate "off" driven ball (supposed to be a long ball - pass out of the back to a winger) in training and beaned her former coach in the back (she was aiming for his head). The dude was only coach for a year but continually degraded the girls on her team. My daughter wouldn't stand for it and would call him out. That day, she simply lost her head and tried to take him out. I think he knew it was on purpose but certainly couldn't prove it.

Comment

My daughter once hit a very deliberate "off" driven ball (supposed to be a long ball - pass out of the back to a winger) in training and beaned her former coach in the back (she was aiming for his head). The dude was only coach for a year but continually degraded the girls on her team. My daughter wouldn't stand for it and would call him out. That day, she simply lost her head and tried to take him out. I think he knew it was on purpose but certainly couldn't prove it.
                              Sugar and spice and everything nice, huh? Your dd's kick could probably knock down a solid wood door, so yeah, show some respect. Heh. Love it. But, I do not condone it! :)

Comment

If it is the same team I have heard about in recent weeks, then the club just became aware of this and is not taking it lightly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X