Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite Soccer - Everyone is Right?

Over the last few weeks I have seen many social media posts regarding so called "elite" soccer teams and events that these local teams are participating in. Here is a list of the few "elite" events that just happened or will be happening in the next week:

The Boys ECNL event in Las Vegas
    Thanksgiving Surf Cup in San Diego
    National League weekend in North Carolina
    The Boys and Girls DA Winter Cup in Florida

This got me thinking.

Why are there so many leagues and tournaments?
    Because this is all about making money and these leagues and tournaments generate revenue for the leagues and clubs. These leagues and tournaments promote a product that we buy and boy do we consume!

Parents have bought into the marketing of these leagues and tournaments. You will hear parents say with the puffed out chest that my kid plays in the ECNL, DA or is playing in Surf Cup. The league or tournament you participate in is a status symbol of sorts like driving a Porsche, Maserati or Range Rover.

Here are what each of the leagues/tournaments are advertising about themselves.
    National League says,"The US Youth Soccer National League competition is for the nation's top teams in the 14U, 15U, 16U, 17U, 18U and 19U boys and girls age groups."

This is what the ECNL says "These Directors came together and collaborated to build what would become the top female youth development platform in the world. The grass roots leadership and cooperation was unprecedented in American youth soccer, and the ECNL continues to be the most progressive and innovative development platform in the country.

U.S. Soccer DA says, "The U.S. Soccer Development Academy strives to develop world-class players by providing elite, driven youth talents with development environments, which meet the highest standards, that empower them to reach their full potential."

Thanksgiving Surf Cup says, "The 2019 San Diego Surf College Cup Showcase is a Class I tournament. The College Cup tournament is a nationally recognized premier tournament, rated among the top two in the United States."

I understand why most people believe that their players are elite, it's what the tournaments, leagues, coaches and clubs tell you. Its also what a parent wants to believe.

Playing in the ECNL, Surf Cup, National League and DA don't mean a thing. Everyone who can afford it and even some that can't are doing it. Youth soccer has become exclusive and not inclusive. Your player isn't that special. There are 50 other players in your child's age group in the local area doing similar things. If everyone is elite, than no one can be.

Instead of driving the Porsche you are driving a Honda Civic.

Can someone change this guys diaper? I’d totally do it but I have a strong gag reflex and the smell is overwhelming.

Comment

Tldr.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Tldr.
        His kid got cut and now he's all butt hurt.

Comment

Over the last few weeks I have seen many social media posts regarding so called "elite" soccer teams and events that these local teams are participating in. Here is a list of the few "elite" events that just happened or will be happening in the next week:

This got me thinking.

Because this is all about making money and these leagues and tournaments generate revenue for the leagues and clubs. These leagues and tournaments promote a product that we buy and boy do we consume!

Parents have bought into the marketing of these leagues and tournaments. You will hear parents say with the puffed out chest that my kid plays in the ECNL, DA or is playing in Surf Cup. The league or tournament you participate in is a status symbol of sorts like driving a Porsche, Maserati or Range Rover.

National League says,"The US Youth Soccer National League competition is for the nation's top teams in the 14U, 15U, 16U, 17U, 18U and 19U boys and girls age groups."

This is what the ECNL says "These Directors came together and collaborated to build what would become the top female youth development platform in the world. The grass roots leadership and cooperation was unprecedented in American youth soccer, and the ECNL continues to be the most progressive and innovative development platform in the country.

U.S. Soccer DA says, "The U.S. Soccer Development Academy strives to develop world-class players by providing elite, driven youth talents with development environments, which meet the highest standards, that empower them to reach their full potential."

Thanksgiving Surf Cup says, "The 2019 San Diego Surf College Cup Showcase is a Class I tournament. The College Cup tournament is a nationally recognized premier tournament, rated among the top two in the United States."

I understand why most people believe that their players are elite, it's what the tournaments, leagues, coaches and clubs tell you. Its also what a parent wants to believe.

Playing in the ECNL, Surf Cup, National League and DA don't mean a thing. Everyone who can afford it and even some that can't are doing it. Youth soccer has become exclusive and not inclusive. Your player isn't that special. There are 50 other players in your child's age group in the local area doing similar things. If everyone is elite, than no one can be.

What is the point of this? I think you are painting with a broad brush a little bit when you say that DA, ECNL, or other parents puff out their chest. Some do, of course. Most do not. Nevertheless, your point is well taken that using buzz words is a money grab, but some tournaments are better than others. That's just reality. I think if your kid is good and they are on a good team it is perfectly fine and natural to seek out better competition and I have never understood why anyone on this board would begrudge that. What does it have to do with you? Why would you care anymore than I would care about the kids who are doing robotics when my kids aren't?

Comment

What is the point of this? I think you are painting with a broad brush a little bit when you say that DA, ECNL, or other parents puff out their chest. Some do, of course. Most do not. Nevertheless, your point is well taken that using buzz words is a money grab, but some tournaments are better than others. That's just reality. I think if your kid is good and they are on a good team it is perfectly fine and natural to seek out better competition and I have never understood why anyone on this board would begrudge that. What does it have to do with you? Why would you care anymore than I would care about the kids who are doing robotics when my kids aren't?
            It is jealousy....

Comment

This got me thinking.

This is funny and strange you needed to use so many words to get your point across.

My kid plays ECNL, all the parents I see whom’s children play on my kids team drive very understated cars and don’t really brag about what there children are doing.

Signed
              Daddy drives a Subaru and kid goes to public school.

Comment

This is funny and strange you needed to use so many words to get your point across.

My kid plays ECNL, all the parents I see whom’s children play on my kids team drive very understated cars and don’t really brag about what there children are doing.

Signed
                Daddy drives a Subaru and kid goes to public school.
                How does one play 'ECNL'? I thought Oregon kids played at local clubs? Is that like saying me kid plays 'OSAA' and leaving out they go to the doormat HS program at Southridge? Trying to highlight OSAA as pivot from reality.

What a joke.

Comment

Top 25 teams in DA are better than 99% of anything from Oregon.

Top 25 teams in USYS are better than 99% of anything from Oregon.

Top 25 teams in ECNL are better than 99% of anything from Oregon.

And no. Your kid isn’t on a 1% team and 100% won’t be by u16

In Oregon you’ve got OYSA teams with more or better commits than Ecnl teams. You’ve got GDA thorns claiming commits from Ecnl teams. You’ve got Ecnl teams with more commits than da teams or OYSA teams. You’ve got da teams that have B team players from OYSA and Ecnl teams. You’ve got OYSA teams that can’t field full teams on the day.

Fact of the matter: Nothing is what your clubs say. Especially when it comes to leagues.

Comment

In Oregon you’ve got OYSA teams with more or better commits than Ecnl teams. You’ve got GDA thorns claiming commits from Ecnl teams. You’ve got Ecnl teams with more commits than da teams or OYSA teams. You’ve got da teams that have B team players from OYSA and Ecnl teams. You’ve got OYSA teams that can’t field full teams on the day.

Fact of the matter: Nothing is what your clubs say. Especially when it comes to leagues.
                    Oregon love HS Soccer.

Oregon has local club teams that play in USYS and US Club Leagues.

Oregon has tons of girls that are afforded opportunities that boys aren't to attend colleges that field female only teams. (Title IX)

US Club made serious parlay from Title IX and touted exclusivity until the DA (NWSL Thorns Academy/non club moniker) came around 3 years ago

Oregon is still Oregon and the great clubs are still great clubs in other states.

Only thing that has changed for Oregon is greater club dilution and fewer players landing at top 25 college teams.

It's simply wonderful and a waste of money.

Which makes HS such a treat for the club players.

Comment

Correction.

Top 25 DA teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

Top 40 USYS teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

Top 30 Ecnl teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

And you are right. By u15 100% of any team from Oregon won’t scratch the top 75 teams in the country. Period.

Kids developed really well. Parent becomes an idiot and moves them to the best propaganda club and the next generation thinks the the propaganda club that got them there. That’s why you see inconsistent results from every single Oregon club compared to in age competitors.

Coach>Player>Team>Club>parent>league. In that order of importance. Parents are literally more of a risk to derail the process so that gives you an idea of how important a “league” is.

The only scam out there is when some club promotes a league before anything else.

Comment

Correction.

Top 25 DA teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

Top 40 USYS teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

Top 30 Ecnl teams are better than 99% of anything from Oregon

And you are right. By u15 100% of any team from Oregon won’t scratch the top 75 teams in the country. Period.

Kids developed really well. Parent becomes an idiot and moves them to the best propaganda club and the next generation thinks the the propaganda club that got them there. That’s why you see inconsistent results from every single Oregon club compared to in age competitors.

Coach>Player>Team>Club>parent>league. In that order of importance. Parents are literally more of a risk to derail the process so that gives you an idea of how important a “league” is.

The only scam out there is when some club promotes a league before anything else.
                        Wrong.... the scam is the amateur and fraudulent coaching in Oregon that starts with the DOCS. These shysters make a living blaming kids and parents and everyone else for their own incompetent failure.

The problem is not Oregon.
                        The problem is not the kids.
                        The problem is not the parents.
                        The problem is lazy sh!t coaching.

Comment

Wrong.... the scam is the amateur and fraudulent coaching in Oregon that starts with the DOCS. These shysters make a living blaming kids and parents and everyone else for their own incompetent failure.

The problem is not Oregon.
                          The problem is not the kids.
                          The problem is not the parents.
                          The problem is lazy sh!t coaching.
                          There are some coaches who are good teachers. Some who are good recruiters. And some who are both. And some who are both, who focus on the wrong thing, perhaps out of a deluded belief that it's better to make good kids great than average kids good, others because they are hunting trophies because that is what impresses the next set of recruits.

There are some directors who earn every dime of their salary, and whose contributions to soccer go well beyond the club they lead. There are some who do it to get a higher paying gig, and don't care about those teams in the club they don't personally direct. There are some directors that set high standards, promote an effective curriculum. There are others that let their coaches do whatever.

Unfortunately, Gresham's Law ("bad money drives out good", it has nothing to do with Portland's eastern suburb) tends to apply to youth sports. If you have one a-hole coach that tries to hoard the top talent and build his (or her) club into an empire, then the others start to do the same in defense, and teaching the game to whatever kids come to play becomes secondary to winning recruiting wars.

Comment

Can someone change this guys diaper? I’d totally do it but I have a strong gag reflex and the smell is overwhelming.
                            Sure, leave it to others to clean up the nasty mess. Par for the course.

Comment

These anecdotal posts are just lazy. Loudmouths love to say top 25 blah blah is better than everyone in Oregon because!! Give it a rest. We get it... loudmouths like you think kids should play local and play the same 10 teams year after year until their done. It is lazy and easy which is perfect for Oregon DOCS! Oh yea..... they should also play in the same local tournaments so our DOCS can make more money. Gotta make sure we think about the DOCS because that is all Oregon soccer is about for most clubs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X