Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OL to purchase Reign FC

NLT 31 Jan, OL is expected to purchase a majority stake of Reign FC NWSL and Academy. That seems significant to me.

https://bi****/37xnZ1u

it was definitely a concern on how long the predmores would be willing/able to fund a million dollars in annual losses for reign fc. obviously not a issue anymore with the essentially unlimited pockets of lyon. wouldn't be surprised to see some investment in the reign academy resulting in lower fees or covering some travel costs. in any case this is nothing but good news for reign fc/academy.

Comment

Wow!!!!
      This is huge! I have been following the euro reports of teams wanting to get into the NWSL. I think this is great news, and look forward to them bringing an injection into the area's women's soccer. Would be nice if the Reign played in a top venue closer to the center of Seattle and not an hour drive down south.

Would also like to see a big investment in the Reign DA.

I'm very happy to hear this news.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Wow!!!!
        This is huge! I have been following the euro reports of teams wanting to get into the NWSL. I think this is great news, and look forward to them bringing an injection into the area's women's soccer. Would be nice if the Reign played in a top venue closer to the center of Seattle and not an hour drive down south.

Would also like to see a big investment in the Reign DA.

I'm very happy to hear this news.
        Interesting. Raises some questions too, including: is reign or ol the a team or are they both a teams? Does this mean Lucy Bronze or Ada Hegerberg could end up playing for the reign or that Jess Fishlock or Megan Rapinoe are likely to spend more time in Lyon? Will Lyon really invest in the academy? — if so, great, but why? Why does a French for profit company/soccer club want to spend $ developing American soccer players? And with the Hanauer’s selling off their less than year old investment in the Reign, doesn’t this put the Sounders back to providing zero support whatsoever to girls and women’s soccer in the area even as many of the other profitable NWSL clubs (timbers/thorns, lafc, Atlanta, rsl) are damping up their support and isn’t that kinda shameful on their part?

Comment

lol....fees will go up before they go down. GDA has one year left.

Comment

Règne FC 😂. Actually, this is just more evidence of the accelerating interest by European clubs in American professional and youth soccer. This deal gives OL access to a youth program desperately in search of a playing philosophy, educational content and organizational competence. Are the committed to fixing that? With no obvious or pre-existing or deep cultural connection between Reign FC/Reign Academy and OL, this looks like a move by OL to get access to players to fill short-term needs. If Reign becomes Franco-fied, with new French methodologies, philosophies, coaches, etc., then we’ll know how deep this goes. It’s hard to do that from the top down. It’s best done from the bottom up. Soon, we will start seeing European clubs start with American youth clubs, set cultural foundations and then build Pro or semi-pro clubs on top of them. That is “build” rather than “buy”. Interesting times.

Comment

OL is worth almost $400 million, invests heavily in their women's team, and is considered to be one of the most successful clubs in the world. Though you may be cheering for the demise of development academies, I think the chances are teams willing to fully fund a channel for youth soccer players will have some sort of academy whether it be called DA or something else.

Comment

OL is worth almost $400 million, invests heavily in their women's team, and is considered to be one of the most successful clubs in the world.
                $400 Million? Pocket change. The top men's teams are worth Billions. But seriously, I do like the love that is being shown to women's soccer since the world cup.

#1 Real Madrid...........$4.239 B 4% 1% $896 M $112 M
                #2 Barcelona..............$4.021 B -1% 0% $824 M $-37 M
                #3 Manchester United. $3.808 B -8% 19% $795 M $238 M
                #4 Bayern Munich.......$3.024 B -1% 0% $751 M $129 M

https://www.forbes.com/soccer-valuat...t/#tab:overall

Comment

OL are one of the most successful teams in the world and has run a women's team (widely considered one of the best in the world) for almost 50 years. this is a game changer and clearly a good one.

Comment

If women's soccer starts to become a profitable venture, and start running youth academies for girls that are on financial terms similar to the men... GDA will become irrelevant. ECNL will continue it's mission of college prep for wealthy girls, the pro academies will become the primary pipeline for the professional and international ranks, with many top college recruits coming from there too.

And if Reign actually runs a subsidized youth academy, rather than one that costs just as much (if not more) than what Crossfire or SU or PacNW run, all the bickering over Reign "poaching" players would become laughable nonsense. Youth clubs and free pro academies are simply different things, and for the former to complain about the latter recruiting its players away would be the height of arrogance.

Already the boys DA is starting to become less relevant, as MLS and USL teams take over the running of true professional academies (something that few of them had a decade ago), and no longer need governance from US Soccer. If the DA is to have a value-add in the future, I suspect it will be to provide advance training opportunities in locales without a professional men's team nearby. Bernie James might not like this, but that's what it is.

Comment

If women's soccer starts to become a profitable venture, and start running youth academies for girls that are on financial terms similar to the men... GDA will become irrelevant. ECNL will continue it's mission of college prep for wealthy girls, the pro academies will become the primary pipeline for the professional and international ranks, with many top college recruits coming from there too.

And if Reign actually runs a subsidized youth academy, rather than one that costs just as much (if not more) than what Crossfire or SU or PacNW run, all the bickering over Reign "poaching" players would become laughable nonsense. Youth clubs and free pro academies are simply different things, and for the former to complain about the latter recruiting its players away would be the height of arrogance.

Already the boys DA is starting to become less relevant, as MLS and USL teams take over the running of true professional academies (something that few of them had a decade ago), and no longer need governance from US Soccer. If the DA is to have a value-add in the future, I suspect it will be to provide advance training opportunities in locales without a professional men's team nearby. Bernie James might not like this, but that's what it is.
                      Crossfire Premier is already subsidized for ECNL

Comment

There will have to be pro academies or an expansion of GDAs. NWSL wants to add 5 teams. USL wants to expand to compete with the NWSL. Where is all the new talent going to come from? I suspect the price OL will pay for Reign will seem like a steal for European teams.

I wonder if there is a do not relocate clause... Having a Sonic's flashback.

Comment

There will have to be pro academies or an expansion of GDAs. NWSL wants to add 5 teams. USL wants to expand to compete with the NWSL. Where is all the new talent going to come from? I suspect the price OL will pay for Reign will seem like a steal for European teams.

I wonder if there is a do not relocate clause... Having a Sonic's flashback.
                          Reign are a successful team in Seattle; only a few markets in this country have shown a reliable commitment to women's soccer. Where would the Reign move to, and why wouldn't OL simply start its own club there rather than buying the Reign?

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                            reign are a successful team in seattle; only a few markets in this country have shown a reliable commitment to women's soccer. Where would the reign move to, and why wouldn't ol simply start its own club there rather than buying the reign?
                            socal.....duh

Comment

you're missing that poster's point. there's no reason to buy and relocate the reign who have put down successful roots here when the nwsl is actively seeking expansion opportunities.

socal.....duh

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X