Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re. top coaches in your club?

Why does USA/Canada have a soccer culture from the top down? Do we build houses from the roof down to the foundation?

Why do our better coaches (the ones who can identify proper technique and correct bad technique) not work with two or three U8,9,10 player teams instead of coaching the U17-U19 players, who are practically set in their ways?

Why do we leave the U8, U9, U10 players to the volunteer parents?

These are the things that make me go hmmm.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why does USA/Canada have a soccer culture from the top down? Do we build houses from the roof down to the foundation?

Why do our better coaches (the ones who can identify proper technique and correct bad technique) not work with two or three U8,9,10 player teams instead of coaching the U17-U19 players, who are practically set in their ways?

Ok Arsenio Hall. You are on the right track is development is the goal. The problem development is not the goal. The mission motto for all clubs are money, number, money, number, money and development. All in that order.

Comment

Because the best coaches don't want to teach how to kick a ball. They've already done their time teaching the basics.

Comment

Why do professors with PHDs and Nobel Prizes choose to teach at the college level and not kindergarten and first grade? Oh gee, I don’t know genius but that is such an interesting question to ponder.

Keep going hmmm. Eventually you’ll....still not figure it out.

Comment

Why do professors with PHDs and Nobel Prizes choose to teach at the college level and not kindergarten and first grade? Oh gee, I don’t know genius but that is such an interesting question to ponder.

Keep going hmmm. Eventually you’ll....still not figure it out.
          Actually the top coaches , unlike top professors in this country, have no clue how to develop players....a player like Pulisic was developed in Germany, not here in the USA

Comment

Also consider that top coaches are professionals and this is what they do for a living. Clubs have to pay them wages. Not many U8-U10 parents are willing to pay higher fees for kids who may or may not turn out to be passionate about soccer and have the talent to progress. Volunteer coaches keep the registration fees down.

Comment

Also consider that top coaches are professionals and this is what they do for a living. Clubs have to pay them wages. Not many U8-U10 parents are willing to pay higher fees for kids who may or may not turn out to be passionate about soccer and have the talent to progress. Volunteer coaches keep the registration fees down.
              I think this will change very soon. When it does happen, it will change the landscape of youth soccer.

Comment

My son had a u10 coach years ago, it must have been 2012 or so. He didn't care about winning or losing and just wanted to prepare technically sound 9 year olds. They worked on technical all practice long. He switched positions during the games and didn't care about losing at this age. Some of the kids did improve individually, others looked lost. After 2 or 3 8-0 games - we were on the losing side - the parents all banded together (myself and a few other excluded) and went to the main office to protest. The coach was incompetent, they said. Shortly after, he was fired. The main problem is not finding good coaches, it is controlling parents that only see winning as progress.

Comment

My son had a u10 coach years ago, it must have been 2012 or so. He didn't care about winning or losing and just wanted to prepare technically sound 9 year olds. They worked on technical all practice long. He switched positions during the games and didn't care about losing at this age. Some of the kids did improve individually, others looked lost. After 2 or 3 8-0 games - we were on the losing side - the parents all banded together (myself and a few other excluded) and went to the main office to protest. The coach was incompetent, they said. Shortly after, he was fired. The main problem is not finding good coaches, it is controlling parents that only see winning as progress.
                  True dat. Even if he stayed on, good kids would have left anyways. Very little development at younger ages, just start collecting the better kids at that age and process them through the system.

Comment

Because the best coaches don't want to teach how to kick a ball. They've already done their time teaching the basics.
                    It is amazig that you mention teaching kicking the ball as most club players have never been taught the proper technique to kick a ball. Sure they know laces for power and insides for passing but, the actual mechanics required to create power is rarely taught...

Comment

It sounds like an amazing coach. What happened to the next coach? lol

Comment

It sounds like an amazing coach. What happened to the next coach? lol
                        As every club the parents want to try to control the scenario and game time and all even practices what are being done! Let your kids grow up! Why the world is how it is, creating soft players and individuals.

Parents complain- go to DOC and top levels to get coach fired.
                        Parents complain- their little one not enough playing time or not playing as much, unless its rec, then deal with it, why called travel soccer.
                        Parents complain about positions - not rec maybe their little messi who scored in rec is better suited to play another position and allow them to excel and grow and learn.

Yet parents will still then complain about results which means nothing. U13 and below who is even watching and caring about a trophy or medals, before u13 or even u14 just care about development, tactical and technical aspects of the game, and if wins come, great and if they don't learn from them thats it!

Comment

The entitled, everyone gets a trophy, be fair with playing
                          time attitude of the parents is the biggest problem. Kid don't want practice on their own. Parents are expected clubs to work miracles. Basically the pansies attitudes of the American culture is the biggest problem.

Comment

True dat. Even if he stayed on, good kids would have left anyways. Very little development at younger ages, just start collecting the better kids at that age and process them through the system.
                            Parents follow the winning. Looking back, there was really an unhealthy desire to be the best u10 in our area. Now at u17 ....most of these kids are not playing at all or just play for their school. My recommendation - save your energy for u16/u17 and above - that's when it really counts... if you push your kid too much at the younger ages, you will kill his love of the game and the drive will not be there at the ages when it most needs to show...

Comment

Parents follow the winning. Looking back, there was really an unhealthy desire to be the best u10 in our area. Now at u17 ....most of these kids are not playing at all or just play for their school. My recommendation - save your energy for u16/u17 and above - that's when it really counts... if you push your kid too much at the younger ages, you will kill his love of the game and the drive will not be there at the ages when it most needs to show...
                              But... We need to win tournaments to claim we are the best and post got soccer rankings to everyone to know we are the best and that we always win and promote supposedly why you should come to the team?

Parents also now with social media like to brag and instagram all the moves or goals the players scored to get them professionally looked at and for everyone could admire them.

U16+ is correct once this age group most that started at early ages are burnt and don't want to play no more and rather play for school and thats it and focus on colleges and good grades.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X