Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yep, some want to. Some don't. Let THEM decide what they want, and put them on a path that facilitates it. Pretty simple. However, the overriding theme when asked "why?" to parents on the HS issue, it's "I remember how much fun it was" or "it's beneficial for their social aspects" (totally ignoring that 80% of kids don't play HS sports).

I do find your statement curious, though...HS is the only reason to play ECNL? I actually agree with that.
    Around here you play ECNL because it's the stronger league. Most people have to make choices based on what's available locally to them. In CA it may be worth giving up HS for those quality clubs and competition; around here not so much.

not the op

Comment

Best idea I have seen in awhile!
      Elementary/middle school can be grade but within reason - kids held back cannot play with younger classmates. It becomes a size/safety issue. Only way to check that is to have a birthday cutoff. just as it was before.

Comment

Around here you play ECNL because it's the stronger league. Most people have to make choices based on what's available locally to them. In CA it may be worth giving up HS for those quality clubs and competition; around here not so much.

not the op
        "...worth giving up HS"? What does that even mean?

Comment

"...worth giving up HS"? What does that even mean?
          Something needs to have value for one to consider giving it up a worthwhile exercise.

For example, I took a new job which doesn't allow me to shovel horseshlt all day. Now, I never shoveled horseshlt before, I'm not particularly fond of it, and I don't miss it. So, this does not enable me to shovel horseshlt, but I'm OK with that.

Comment

Elementary/middle school can be grade but within reason - kids held back cannot play with younger classmates. It becomes a size/safety issue. Only way to check that is to have a birthday cutoff. just as it was before.
            Understood, but once you get to middle school/high school, you are playing with multiple grades anyways. In addition, travel is essentially done in 8th grade.

Comment

Understood, but once you get to middle school/high school, you are playing with multiple grades anyways. In addition, travel is essentially done in 8th grade.
              There are almost no middle school-school teams, so no on MS, HS obviously it's combined.

Club teams are nearly all one year each no matter what the age. There are plenty of premier clubs (not travel) that aren't in ECNL or DA. Those teams need some type of limit.

Comment

There are almost no middle school-school teams, so no on MS, HS obviously it's combined.

Club teams are nearly all one year each no matter what the age. There are plenty of premier clubs (not travel) that aren't in ECNL or DA. Those teams need some type of limit.
                ????No middle school teams? *** are you talking about? Another ts poster that doesn't even have kids in soccer.

Comment

Or, here's a thought, some kids want to play. How well do you know teens? Because my experience is it's pretty phuking hard to force them to do anything they don't want.

With DA and ECNL now kids have more choices. Each model works for some, not others. If HS didn't matter why is ECNL even a thing still? Why did a dozen ECNL clubs drop out of DA? Money? Sure. Because they read their local market and what players wanted.
                  wwaaahhhhh!! waaaahhhhh!

Comment

you know, I live in a town that has a good school system. The problem I see is that some of the kids go to a private school. How dare they do that!! Doesn't make sense. I mean, my kids go to the town school and are just fine. They want to be with their neighborhood friends. SEnding them to a private school inhibits that. They need to be with their friends!!

Comment

????No middle school teams? *** are you talking about? Another ts poster that doesn't even have kids in soccer.
                      Teams run through schools, not that there aren't teams with middle school aged teams on them. There are some in CT but not much and most of it is private school.

Comment

you know, I live in a town that has a good school system. The problem I see is that some of the kids go to a private school. How dare they do that!! Doesn't make sense. I mean, my kids go to the town school and are just fine. They want to be with their neighborhood friends. SEnding them to a private school inhibits that. They need to be with their friends!!
                        Mine went/are in private school and had no issue making/keeping friends in town. They also have many school friends from all over and from many walks of life vs our very homogenious town. People go private for a lot for reasons - academics (us), smaller classrooms, religion for parochial schools. My wife and I work hard and have great jobs that help us afford to do that. We donate heavily to the school's scholarship fund for families that cannot.

Look at it this way - those private school families are paying their taxes for your kid to get a great education without costing the district a dime to educate theirs.

Comment

Teams run through schools, not that there aren't teams with middle school aged teams on them. There are some in CT but not much and most of it is private school.
                          Glastonbury parent? Every middle school in our district has a boys and girls middle school soccer team. Glastonbury is on outlier.

Comment

Glastonbury parent? Every middle school in our district has a boys and girls middle school soccer team. Glastonbury is on outlier.
                            I bet that's great

Comment

Glastonbury parents think they are the center of the soccer world . Since their middle school doesn’t have soccer, I mean, who does? Maybe those blue collar towns might have them, but who wants to live there? Really.

Comment

Glastonbury parents think they are the center of the soccer world . Since their middle school doesn’t have soccer, I mean, who does? Maybe those blue collar towns might have them, but who wants to live there? Really.
                                Yeah, FC parents are so much more realistic and even-keeled.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X