Changes to age groups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is official; TS posters that want change back to school year are crazier than dad's of girl players.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Thank you for the links and commentary. Seems, by reading them, they've tried a few different things with a few teams.

I'm looking for the detail that says you can play down an age group.

Thanks again.
      It’s called reading comprehension. Read it again, slower this time.

Comment

It’s called reading comprehension. Read it again, slower this time.
        I did.

Still not seeing it. Sure, a few isolated instances to help a kid out vs. just dropping them (this a bad thing?), but the impression this is prevalent through DA is just incorrect. I've never seen it happen. Not once.

Comment

I did.

Still not seeing it. Sure, a few isolated instances to help a kid out vs. just dropping them (this a bad thing?), but the impression this is prevalent through DA is just incorrect. I've never seen it happen. Not once.
          You can't play down. You can only play up.

Comment

Dunno about that...I keep hearing that you can't play down when discussing age-group changes, and that "DA let's you do it" comes up. Often.

It's on TS, so it HAS to be true!

Comment

Dunno about that...I keep hearing that you can't play down when discussing age-group changes, and that "DA let's you do it" comes up. Often.

It's on TS, so it HAS to be true!
              It’s 100% true actually. Just peruse the BS rosters and it’s not hard to spot. Specifically look at 2004 and 2003 kids.

Comment

Different poster, it is true. I knew of an OW 2002 that was allowed to play with 2003's ..... the year after USSF made the stink to go to birth year.

Comment

Different poster, it is true. I knew of an OW 2002 that was allowed to play with 2003's ..... the year after USSF made the stink to go to birth year.
                  There was a discussion about it last year on the MA board about some locals who were allowed to play down, and part of the debate was whether or not the clubs were doing it really for "development" or to help get a win? I think the policy has merit in certain cases, but it also could be easily abused. Anyway, USSF seems to want us to do everything they say, while they do whatever they want.

Comment

There was a discussion about it last year on the MA board about some locals who were allowed to play down, and part of the debate was whether or not the clubs were doing it really for "development" or to help get a win? I think the policy has merit in certain cases, but it also could be easily abused. Anyway, USSF seems to want us to do everything they say, while they do whatever they want.
                    Nothing truer than that. Many coaches still don't have correct certifications required by ussf and hosts if teams do not practice 4x per week. Costs at many non MLS clubs are also still pretty high and close toany non da clubs. A complete joke.

Comment

I have also seen OW play an 04 with the 05’s for the express purpose of trying to win.

Comment

I have also seen OW play an 04 with the 05’s for the express purpose of trying to win.
                        No say it isn’t so Lucy

Comment

Yes confirms what I was told.

I would think it will go through. ECNL will get a step ahead of US soccer and further weaken the DA, they would be smart to do this before US soccer allows high school ball, which would weaken ECNL.

Most of the paying customers (parents) want school year cut offs (Aug 1 - July 31) - it makes the most sense and accommodates the most kids allowing them to play with the same grade friends also simplifies the college recruiting. US soccer made a dumb mistake when they changed to calendar year, they did not think of the majority of the kids. I mean really how many are going to the national team? If ECNL is smart they will make the change back - further showing they really don’t need US soccer to be successful.

Going to be real interesting to see what happens and the ramifications that will occur.
                          But those are not the school year cutoffs for the entire country. What I heard is that ECNL is going to consider is to use "graduation year" which is what college coaches have to use anyway. They are recruiting for a certain incoming class, regardless of your age (and what cutoff in your local area required you to be in a certain grade).

Comment

If the ecnl makes this change it will be huge.

Comment

If the ecnl makes this change it will be huge.
                              It will definitely ramp up the pressure to make a universal change (except DA)

Comment

OW has a bunch of foreign kids with foreign BCs "playing up" .... funny how all of their foreign born players were giants compared to their "peers" at U11.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X