Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sounds like, if anything, they might want to challenge Sounders Academy if the are mentioning boys? Or just grow the revenue stream with boys
    Boys from U14 and up from academy will normally crush girl's academy team from U14-U19. Faster speed of play, strength, and skills. I rather have my dd play against younger DA/ECNL boys versus older ECNL girls. After U15, the boys just get too big and strong, so gotta be really careful. OL is basically what I am saying that your dd will get a greater challenge playing with boys than girls at any age. Parents with boys know what I saying about the growth spurts of boys from 13 to 16+ years old. Bigger, faster, stronger. Imagine that with academy level boy players.

Comment

this is a complete understatement lol the USWNT (yes, the one that pays world cup and Olympics) scrimmages against boys academy U15 teams because they are a similar level in speed and skill.

Boys from U14 and up from academy will normally crush girl's academy team from U14-U19. Faster speed of play, strength, and skills. I rather have my dd play against younger DA/ECNL boys versus older ECNL girls. After U15, the boys just get too big and strong, so gotta be really careful. OL is basically what I am saying that your dd will get a greater challenge playing with boys than girls at any age. Parents with boys know what I saying about the growth spurts of boys from 13 to 16+ years old. Bigger, faster, stronger. Imagine that with academy level boy players.

Comment

Yeah, what I meant was, does OL want to start a boys academy team in the area?

DA boys can't scrimmage girls their own age past age 12 or so due to size and strength. Sounders Academy youngest teams will scimmage with the Reign first team. My son battled Meghan Rapinoe a few yrs ago in one of those

Comment

Worth - value of women sports

Forbes article regarding OL REIGN

What OL Group’s Purchase Of Reign FC Tells Us About Who Invests In Women’s Sports (And Who Doesn’t)

It is worth taking a step back and think about what that’s meant, to employ Megan Rapinoe in the best soccer league in the world, for the larger movement of women’s sports. Would the United States have won the World Cup in 2019 without Rapinoe playing at peak level? Perhaps, but fortunately for them, they didn’t need to find out, and she certainly produced at a level that made the idea of the U.S. not winning it moot. The same was true in 2015.

There simply would not have been the degree of growth in the women’s game here in the United States without those two trophies and the icon who helped the U.S. win them.

Which is to say, both the investment of the Predmores over the NWSL’s first seven years, and OL Group coming to take that investment to another level, have knock-on effects impossible to predict at the time they happen.

This is what occurs when people invest in new technologies — and make no mistake, widening the funnel of opportunity in professional sports, bringing women anywhere close to the level of baseline expectation men receive in financial support across sports, is still far away, making anything approaching parity entirely new. What the sports landscape looks like when investment is equal — we don’t begin to know, other than to see the massive growth in women’s sports whenever it happens, even in limited ways (see the marketing and broadcasting of the 2015 World Cup for details).

Accordingly, as the decade turns, plenty of folks talk a good game about investing in women’s sports.

What did it actually take to do it?

89.5 percent of Reign FC cost OL Group… $3.51 million.

$3.51 million!

Just to put that in perspective, nine players in Major League Soccer made $3.5 million or more in 2019. So you could, for roughly the same money, pay for one year of Wayne Rooney’s services, or own Megan Rapinoe’s team for life.

Tony Parker, too, stepped forward, and owns 3% of Reign FC now. If 89.5% of the team is worth $3.51 million, that puts the value of the Reign at $3,921,787.71. It means Parker’s stake, if purchased at that valuation, cost $117,653.63.

Again, just to put that in perspective, Tony Parker made $5 million in his final season in the NBA."

Last paragraph...

But let’s not forget how relatively affordable that victory was. And the next time you hear some entrepreneur pay lip service to equality, if there’s no investment in women’s sports to go along with it, understand just how cheap that kind of talk is.

I'm the one who posted earlier questioning the low purchase price. Not one fricken multimillionaire in America was willing to right this check!?! With all the talk about supporting women, pay equality crap we hear constantly from the media, politicians and CEOs? Billionaire Chris
          Hanson is writing millions of dollars of checks to bring a basketball team to Seattle. There are female successful business entrepreneurs. Don't know if there are any who own sports franchises.

Comment

I’m surprised at that price we don’t see players like Pinoe or Morgan taking minority stakes.

Comment

You guys are missing the point, these teams LOSE MONEY. Sure it's "just" 3.5 million but you are paying for something that will cost you an additional million a year or more for who knows how long. This is like buying a cheap boat because it's just such a great deal lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X