Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are club coaches taking their message too far on social media?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some people just have a chip on their shoulders that colors everything they read. You would appear to be such a person. Where is anyone trying to make the Stars look bad? What I read was both have the same problem and are just taking different approaches to solve things. Having an opinion on how good their solution is doesn't constitute trying to make them look bad.
    Wow. Really, BTDT? You never tilt your arguments in NEFC's favor? Have you noticed anything on TS in the past 3 or so weeks? Haven't seen perseverative threads and continuous bumping of threads alleging abuse, "cult"-like programs, forcing kids not to play HS, being inappropriate with social media? Are you really that thick or just can't let yourself engage in a sustained real discussion where you might have to concede once in a while. I've been very generous with you today, and then you come back with "chip on your shoulder." Disappointing.

Comment

Of course there are always different personality styles. That happens everywhere in life. But think about NEFC's recruitment program that you have been touting so highly. Is CH going to give as glowing a report to college coaches and work just as hard as a go-between for the kids who appear to be slacking off? Are you saying he doesn't see or have any reaction to a kid who appears to have high D1 talent slacking herself into a D3 slot? Is he going to still sell that kid as a high D1 talent even though she has slipped (and despite her and her family believing that she STILL is a high D1 talent)?
      Yes, what he actually does is tell the players that he can't give the college coach a positive reference unless they pick it up. All coaches have sticks. That is actually his. He is pretty blunt about it and will tell the player that when the coach calls he'll tell them the truth. That's all part of their recruitment process you put down so often. What he does is sit each of the families down and gives them a pretty honest assessment of where he thinks each kid can play and how he can help them. A kid who is a slacker gets the slacking off built into that assessment. He actually readjusts a lot of people's expectations (both ways too) based upon effort. He'll tell a kid that they have a certain level D1 talent but then tell them he can't recommend them to a coach there because they don't work hard enough. What he then tries to do is reset expectations where things might fit better. Don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect science and it does create its share of issues. The only thing I'm trying to say is it is a different approach. This by the way is just the first time you have actually tried to understand it.

Comment

Yes, what he actually does is tell the players that he can't give the college coach a positive reference unless they pick it up. All coaches have sticks. That is actually his. He is pretty blunt about it and will tell the player that when the coach calls he'll tell them the truth. That's all part of their recruitment process you put down so often. What he does is sit each of the families down and gives them a pretty honest assessment of where he thinks each kid can play and how he can help them. A kid who is a slacker gets the slacking off built into that assessment. He actually readjusts a lot of people's expectations (both ways too) based upon effort. He'll tell a kid that they have a certain level D1 talent but then tell them he can't recommend them to a coach there because they don't work hard enough. What he then tries to do is reset expectations where things might fit better. Don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect science and it does create its share of issues. The only thing I'm trying to say is it is a different approach. This by the way is just the first time you have actually tried to understand it.
        Sounds totally normal to me. That is, not that different.

Comment

Wow. Really, BTDT? You never tilt your arguments in NEFC's favor? Have you noticed anything on TS in the past 3 or so weeks? Haven't seen perseverative threads and continuous bumping of threads alleging abuse, "cult"-like programs, forcing kids not to play HS, being inappropriate with social media? Are you really that thick or just can't let yourself engage in a sustained real discussion where you might have to concede once in a while. I've been very generous with you today, and then you come back with "chip on your shoulder." Disappointing.
          The difference over the last couple of weeks is every other post stopped being "Thank you BTDT" and some constructive discussion took place as a consequence.

Comment

Agreed. Sounds pretty much normal.

Where are all the personal phone calls and college hookups? Or was that all BS?

Comment

The difference over the last couple of weeks is every other post stopped being "Thank you BTDT" and some constructive discussion took place as a consequence.
              Then we really live in different universes. Your attacks the last 2 weeks were worse than ever, and I thought that was impossible. I guess we'll have to review the facts.

Comment

Sounds perfectly normal to me too, my experience unfortunately has been that it is hardly the norm.

Comment

Agreed. Sounds pretty much normal.

Where are all the personal phone calls and college hookups? Or was that all BS?
                  He absolutely does them. The guy is very connected at the college level and is talking to coaches all the time about player(s) - plural. Part of the issue with kids that are committed is he does actually give feedback to their future coaches because he is doing so much with other age groups. If he has a soph who is interested in a particular college and he has a jr or sr that is already committed there, I know for a fact that he will talk about the status of all of them with that coach because I have heard about it from both ends.

Comment

Please don't start.

Comment

Then we really live in different universes. Your attacks the last 2 weeks were worse than ever, and I thought that was impossible. I guess we'll have to review the facts.
                      Depends on what you mean by "worse than ever." BTDT's posts over the last couple of weeks have been so over-the-top unhinged as to have no persuasive force, at best. (He should have bothered taking a rhetoric course.) Anyone who is not a proverbial newbie would be able to figure out within 15 minutes that such posts are utterly unreliable--given their persistence, content, and patterns.

You keep this up, I'll start suspecting that you're actually his most ingenious character--giving him pretext after pretext for posting non-stop, which would mean of course that "you" don't realize how crazy and unserious his nonsense is.

Comment

What attacks? Where, when? Seems that anytime anyone doesn't follow the Stars party line you two see it as an attack. Ever bother to think that you guys are in the minority and that you two are actually the attackers?

Comment

Depends on what you mean by "worse than ever." BTDT's posts over the last couple of weeks have been so over-the-top unhinged as to have no persuasive force, at best. (He should have bothered taking a rhetoric course.) Anyone who is not a proverbial newbie would be able to figure out within 15 minutes that such posts are utterly unreliable--given their persistence, content, and patterns.

You keep this up, I'll start suspecting that you're actually his most ingenious character--giving him pretext after pretext for posting non-stop, which would mean of course that "you" don't realize how crazy and unserious his nonsense is.
                          Just wanted to make sure you see this.

Comment

Sounds perfectly normal to me too, my experience unfortunately has been that it is hardly the norm.
                            So you are saying that you are a college soccer coach and have been burned by a club coach not telling you the truth? If so, why would you ever trust that coach again? I would think that most club coaches are going to be honest to preserve their reputation.

Comment

So you are saying that you are a college soccer coach and have been burned by a club coach not telling you the truth? If so, why would you ever trust that coach again? I would think that most club coaches are going to be honest to preserve their reputation.
                              or withhold their recommendation. The easiest path is to make it known that you don't give recommendations so people don't ask you to give them.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure you see this.
                                Yes, classic deflection. When a discussion is going the way you want it to go, you change the point of emphasis and try to start talking about something else. Best course is to just ignore it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X