Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This isn't surprising - at top schools, there's an old boy alumni network that brings recent members of the team on board at top firms - Wall street firms in particular. Do you realize how many guys in lacrosse, crew and football get easy entrance into investing jobs this way? I suppose women might be starting to do the same, but obviously the tradition doesn't go back 100 years. Athletes are set up in a lot of ways to be execs - they're mostly taking economics or business or government. They are rarely in demanding science, computer and engineering fields that require taking hard courses and spending a lot of time studying.
    Ya, tell that to the women's soccer team at schools like MIT and WPI.

Comment

Could be worse, you could have your kid on one of those "elite" art tracks (think Dance Moms) where the end result doesn't even go through college. Those are the ones that end up selling cars.

Comment

Ya, tell that to the women's soccer team at schools like MIT and WPI.
        Those aren't soccer teams.

Comment

Saw this article on another thread and given the rather cynical view often espoused on this site that pursuing soccer results in a dead end in life thought that it was important to put it out here more visibly for others to read.

http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/10/researc...lege-athletes/
          How many were soccer players?

Comment

Those aren't soccer teams.
            What are they?

Comment

What are they?
              The quote you commented on was probably from one of those "D3 does not count" people.

The article does not mention D1 versus D3. The qualities mentioned in the article apply to D3 athletes as well as D1 athletes.

Comment

So I am not surprised that some people who excelled at athletics also can excel in general. But I went to a div 1 school(as a student not an athlete) and I can also tell you that many of the athletes were also not the best students and have seen them at reunions and kept in touch and they have struggled to be successful at anything other athletics. I am also an executive at a large financial services company and people i have interviewed don't usually highlight that on their resume nor would I hire one candidate who played athletics over one who didn't. Their qualifications and work experience decide. Just my two cents

Comment

Saw this article on another thread and given the rather cynical view often espoused on this site that pursuing soccer results in a dead end in life thought that it was important to put it out here more visibly for others to read.

http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/10/researc...lege-athletes/
                  Shut up you pig. Most male executives dropped out of college!

Comment

So I am not surprised that some people who excelled at athletics also can excel in general. But I went to a div 1 school(as a student not an athlete) and I can also tell you that many of the athletes were also not the best students and have seen them at reunions and kept in touch and they have struggled to be successful at anything other athletics. I am also an executive at a large financial services company and people i have interviewed don't usually highlight that on their resume nor would I hire one candidate who played athletics over one who didn't. Their qualifications and work experience decide. Just my two cents
                    I also did recruiting at the college and grad school level. With less work experience under their belts students had to highlight school activities a bit more than someone who had been out of school for a few years. But I was looking for things like leadership roles and being a well rounded person, rather than someone who studied all the time. That could be in sports, student government, etc. It was a rare combo of a good student and an athlete. One area where athletes were often quite good at was interpersonal skills and the ability to just walk into any situation and make connections easily. The sales department loved athletes and they tended to do well there and move up the ladder and/or move on to grad school after a few years.

Comment

What are they?
                      Geek squads.

Just kidding.

Comment

But I doubt those athletes you speak of were female. Female athletes have the highest college graduation rates, if I'm not mistaken. Male athletes the lowest.

Comment

But I doubt those athletes you speak of were female. Female athletes have the highest college graduation rates, if I'm not mistaken. Male athletes the lowest.
                          Men in general have lower graduation rates, but yes athletes have less than optimal rates. I wonder if there are any stats by sport.? I have to believe football and basketball are worse than soccer/baseball/lax. Football especially has far more players who are more educationally diverse.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X