X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think I said that in first line...
    But you went on and invented a possible scenario that may have occurred. Unnecessary and telling. Very typical.

Comment

But you went on and invented a possible scenario that may have occurred. Unnecessary and telling. Very typical.
      Typical of what, I did not invent anything. In over twenty years I have not seen handling in the box moved outside the box, nor would I believe a ref would do it. So it had to be either handling(if that what it was) was outside box, Or it was a foul before the handling occurred. pretty common issue. my best guess and most common occurence is that player was fouled in the process of shooting with no advantage and since it was obvious that shot would not go in, foul called outside box before handling occurred. only a guess mind you.

If you need to be right, then ref blew call.

Comment

Typical of what, I did not invent anything. In over twenty years I have not seen handling in the box moved outside the box, nor would I believe a ref would do it.
        Me neither, except at a recent game. If body language is telling of anything, I'd bet the ref was either only aware of where the call took place at some point after spotting the ball or if sooner than that, he just didn't want to award a PK to the team already ahead by several goals. Either way, weak.

Comment

Maybe someone with knowledge in this area can answer this question….

I was at a college game today and the referee called a handling foul against the defense. The foul occurred approx. 3-5 yards inside the box. Rather than issue a PK, the referee moved the ball to outside the box for a direct free kick. I know that college games differ slightly from HS and youth games with regards to subs, and the way they are administered, but a foul is still a foul. Was he within his right to do so? Or did I just witness a case of the cowardly referee?
          If the play was happening at speed and depending on the refs proximity he may have judged from his position that handling occurred so close to the box he did not feel a PK was warranted. There have been a number of times that I have been reluctant to award a PK on handling because I was not 100% sure it happened in the box. If I am in doubt I will award a DK at the spot I best judged handling to have occurred.

Comment

That is not playing advantage.
            What do you mean? Advantage is not an instantaneous decision. You hold the whistle and wait to see if advantage develops. If it does not you call the foul. Any subsequent infraction is nullified if you choose not to allow advantage. You can however issue cards for things that happen after you choose not to allow advantage. How long do you wait to make the call? A few seconds but even that is dependent on time and space.

Comment

Wrong. If handling occurs prior to whistle, advantage is still on. PK should be call.
              Nope.

Comment

Op here. There was no other foul (outside the box) that occurred, that would allow the referee to give advantage. The only foul that occurred was the handling call, inside the box. You're trying to misconstrue a very simple question. Don't try to confuse everyone with your drivel. You must be a college referee.
                The correct call obviously for the parents in here is the one that put's their kids team in the best possible position to win. The wrong call is when it benefits the opponent.

Comment

One other possibility you overlooked.

The foul (eg a push) occurred outside of the box and the consequences of the foul (eg falling down) occurred inside the box. It is much easier for for fans 50+ yards away to see the big motion (the fall) than it is to see exactly when the contact occurred that caused the fall.
                  Right. The spot for the foul is where the illegal contact first occurred and not the end result. At speed players can take 10 yards to fall.

Comment

Nope.
                    yup..

Comment

Right. The spot for the foul is where the illegal contact first occurred and not the end result. At speed players can take 10 yards to fall.
                      I think there was a play during the World Cup that raised this question, probably Robben LOL, but I can't remember the match specifically, but the question had to do with contact outside the area, continuing contact and the location of the ball (From Law 13 - "the free kick is taken from the place where the infringement occurred or from the position of the ball when the infringement occurred"). What was never clear was if ball in the area, contact outside, is that ultimately the judgment of the official?

Comment

yup..
                        Wrong. It is extremely rare that something like that would happen.

Comment

I think there was a play during the World Cup that raised this question, probably Robben LOL, but I can't remember the match specifically, but the question had to do with contact outside the area, continuing contact and the location of the ball (From Law 13 - "the free kick is taken from the place where the infringement occurred or from the position of the ball when the infringement occurred"). What was never clear was if ball in the area, contact outside, is that ultimately the judgment of the official?
                          Infringement is based on location of infringement not ball. There are circumstances that could cloud this i.e. foul outside, advantage allowed and gained, and then a second foul inside that was not a continuation of the first. In any case the right call is whatever the official judges to be correct and not what a biased fan believes.

Comment

A referee could drown a litter of puppies at midfield in front of elementary school children and there would be other referees that would defend him.

"No one but the referee could know what the puppies did prior to the drowning"

"The ref must have decided to drown the puppies prior to the elementary school kids arriving. The decision to drown them is the referees alone and only he could know why, how, and how many puppies to drown."

Comment

A referee could drown a litter of puppies at midfield in front of elementary school children and there would be other referees that would defend him.

"No one but the referee could know what the puppies did prior to the drowning"

"The ref must have decided to drown the puppies prior to the elementary school kids arriving. The decision to drown them is the referees alone and only he could know why, how, and how many puppies to drown."
                              I saw that match. No way he drowns those puppies if the match had been played on the puppies' home field.

Comment

Infringement is based on location of infringement not ball. There are circumstances that could cloud this i.e. foul outside, advantage allowed and gained, and then a second foul inside that was not a continuation of the first. In any case the right call is whatever the official judges to be correct and not what a biased fan believes.
                                Completely agree with the last part -- I teach early and often, it doesn't matter what you believe, so just move on and keep playing.

But I had to follow-up reading your "not ball" comment because, unless I'm missing something, you're definitively stating something about location of the kick based on infringement than Law 13 states. What I was curious about was those instances where "or from the position of the ball when the infringement occurred" would apply.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X