X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Great post, BTDT.

FYI....Wheaton and Wooster are two school renowned for doing just what you suggest with your bands of 1 idea.

And congrats...we are getting closer now to why you started all of these new threads today.
    You seem to be really pushing Wooster and Wheaton these days, all that I can say is my you have really dropped your sites over time. Truthfully your advice sort of comes across like a contractor doing a bid without doing any measurements. Sure it might very well be in the ball park because of experience but it doesn't mean that it is anywhere near being accurate. You need to get off your soapbox about individual school choices because unless you were sitting at the table listening to the family discuss the choices you have no way of knowing what the balancing factors really were. Under those circumstance its pretty arrogant to think you are even remotely giving valuable advice.

Comment

I thought schools have either EA or ED, but not both.
      Many have both, on top of regular decision.

Comment

You seem to be really pushing Wooster and Wheaton these days, all that I can say is my you have really dropped your sites over time. Truthfully your advice sort of comes across like a contractor doing a bid without doing any measurements. Sure it might very well be in the ball park because of experience but it doesn't mean that it is anywhere near being accurate. You need to get off your soapbox about individual school choices because unless you were sitting at the table listening to the family discuss the choices you have no way of knowing what the balancing factors really were. Under those circumstance its pretty arrogant to think you are even remotely giving valuable advice.
        Stop starting 3 new fictional, agenda-based threads every day and I'll stop pointing out where you have so blatantly screwed up. And no one gives more unsolicited, distorted, wrong, and arrogant advice than you with not a care in the world about any details as long as you feel you have disparaged your targets, so I's go easy on cautioning others about giving advice. Just saying, BTDT.

Comment

Stop starting 3 new fictional, agenda-based threads every day and I'll stop pointing out where you have so blatantly screwed up. And no one gives more unsolicited, distorted, wrong, and arrogant advice than you with not a care in the world about any details as long as you feel you have disparaged your targets, so I's go easy on cautioning others about giving advice. Just saying, BTDT.
          LOL. What a freaking fraud you are. You use every trick in the book on TS and you are calling him out. Give it a rest.

Comment

LOL. What a freaking fraud you are. You use every trick in the book on TS and you are calling him out. Give it a rest.
            Thanks BTNT. Almost every post you write is fraudulent so you should be an expert in such matters.

Comment

.... If parents realistically assessed their child's academic/sports abilities these types of situations wouldn't happen.
              Someone has a reading comprehension problem.

Comment

Many have both, on top of regular decision.
                Does any Ivy or NESCAC have both?

Comment

Does any Ivy or NESCAC have both?

Yes. For some schools it is listed as either early decision or early action while others list 'Early decision 1' and 'Early decision 2'. From our experience and per an early poster, if you are really interested in a school and a coach has said he/she would support you through admissions, they will want you to apply early decision (1). Early decision is a one-school application, while early decision 2 or early action are multiple schools, but does not show the same commitment/desire from the student.

Comment

Yes. For some schools it is listed as either early decision or early action while others list 'Early decision 1' and 'Early decision 2'. From our experience and per an early poster, if you are really interested in a school and a coach has said he/she would support you through admissions, they will want you to apply early decision (1). Early decision is a one-school application, while early decision 2 or early action are multiple schools, but does not show the same commitment/desire from the student.
                    No. ED2 is binding, as is ED1. EA is not. Totally different.

Comment

Recruited athletes apply ED or ED1 to their NESCAC or ivy school. All NESCACS and most Ivies have this option. If you have been truly recruited and have been told by the coaching staff that you will be receiving a tip or slot, there is a high likelihood that you will be admitted as admissions will have already pre-screened you. Exceptions are if you bomb the fall of your senior year, for example. The coaching staff, in turn, will expect a binding ED application so they don't waste their precious spots. Most recruited athletes apply ED, which is he reason acceptance rates are so much higher than for RD. If you're not a recruited athlete and apply ED, it still increases your odds of acceptance than RD, but not by nearly as much.

All NESCACs except Williams and Amherst also have ED2. Also binding, but few recruited athletes come in this way as most spots get taken up during ED1. This is for the regular student who doesn't get into their first choice during ED1 but is willing to commit to going to second choice in return for the slightly improved chance at admission.

EA is not binding and doesn't offer improved chance at admission. Just gives you an early answer. Few athletes apply this way.

Comment

Does anyone ever ask these coaches specifically how many players they are asking to apply ED and what positions they play? I would also want to know exactly how many "tips" or supported admits that coach has have so I could evaluate my child's odds of getting one. If the Tufts Syndrome problem does exist for athletes it would seem that the major issue is that this sort of dialogue didn't go on so expectations weren't set correctly. This goes back to the whole buyer/seller thing. You have to realize that they are working in the direction of what is best for them and their team's situation and that may not necessarily be what is in your child's best interest. You really need to probe the situation to figure out where you are at with these coaches. It is a very different situation if the coach has only 1 supported admit and is only asking your child to go ED compared to if they are asking 4-5 players to apply ED. If a coach won't tell you exactly what your child's odds are then that should be a red flag that they might be in that "seller" position and the deal is really not a good situation. Whether it is a deal breaker really comes down to how much your child is in love with the school and how much you both like to gamble. Me I would advise walking away and finding a better deal because I don't like to gamble in these sorts of situations and once the ED deadline happens you loose leverage.

Comment

Does anyone ever ask these coaches specifically how many players they are asking to apply ED and what positions they play? I would also want to know exactly how many "tips" or supported admits that coach has have so I could evaluate my child's odds of getting one. If the Tufts Syndrome problem does exist for athletes it would seem that the major issue is that this sort of dialogue didn't go on so expectations weren't set correctly. This goes back to the whole buyer/seller thing. You have to realize that they are working in the direction of what is best for them and their team's situation and that may not necessarily be what is in your child's best interest. You really need to probe the situation to figure out where you are at with these coaches. It is a very different situation if the coach has only 1 supported admit and is only asking your child to go ED compared to if they are asking 4-5 players to apply ED. If a coach won't tell you exactly what your child's odds are then that should be a red flag that they might be in that "seller" position and the deal is really not a good situation. Whether it is a deal breaker really comes down to how much your child is in love with the school and how much you both like to gamble. Me I would advise walking away and finding a better deal because I don't like to gamble in these sorts of situations and once the ED deadline happens you loose leverage.
                          BTDT, there is no Tufts Syndrome for athletes. You brought that into the discussion and misapplied it. All of us are going to be OK. You don't need to worry do much for us.

Comment

BTDT, there is no Tufts Syndrome for athletes. You brought that into the discussion and misapplied it. All of us are going to be OK. You don't need to worry do much for us.
                            Gee, when you have bloggers writing about it you have to think that something is not quite right, no?

Comment

Gee, when you have bloggers writing about it you have to think that something is not quite right, no?
                              They aren't blogging about it with respect to recruited athletes. You are very, very confused, because anything that even vaguely seems like something you might make a meal of with one of your agendas you seize on as data or proof of some kind that actually means nothing.

Comment

it isn't? Here is the original blog post.

You may have heard of “Tufts Syndrome”, it refers to the alleged practice of highly qualified students being rejected or waitlisted in order to protect a school’s yield rate. The theory being that the superstar applicants are bound to be accepted to other, more prestigious schools. I don’t know why Tufts was singled out. I don’t even know if ‘Tufts Syndrome” really exists or if it’s just a ‘sour grapes’ response to being denied admission.

But I think there is some truth behind the theory when it comes to a coach supporting an athlete through admissions. There are some outstanding academic schools with lower (< 40%) yield rates, and coaches at these schools are very careful about playing their support cards with athletes who may just be using them as a safety.

Here’s the US News Report on yield rates at national universities. One of the most respected universities in the country, The University of Chicago, has a yield just south of 40%. Washington University in St. Louis, another excellent university, only sees about 31% of the students they admit actually enroll. Compare that to yields of 60-70%+ at Penn, Yale, Stanford and Harvard and it’s easy to understand why a coach at a lower yield school might be a bit skeptical when a recruit tells him that his school is his top choice.

I recently had a conversation with the parent of a recruit at one of the lower yielding, top academic schools. “He had strong coach support and applied Early Action, only to get deferred. He was pretty devastated.” she said.

Two weeks passed and he received a Likely Letter for the Regular Decision round – basically giving him written assurance that he would get in as an RD applicant.

So what do we make of that? Did the coach want to see if the recruit could get in without support during the EA round, thereby saving one of his supported slots? Or did he want to see if the kid was still available after the EA round – greatly increasing the chances that he would enroll if supported and accepted?

Either way, if you want to get coach support at one of the lower yielding schools, you better make it very clear to the coach that his school is your top choice and you will accept if supported.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X