•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    another thread bites the dust
    So sad that it goes that way.

Regarding this topic, I spoke to a few DI coaches recently about it and what they thought at a camp we were working at together. None (out of 3) believe it is a good thing right now. No games, no precedent, no support locally, just one club (so far) that is pushing it. Surprisingly they also felt that the mere social part of high school soccer was something that was important in terms of their overall development and identity - not as a soccer player, but as a young person. One brought up this point - imagine you are a soccer player at a high school, you have played for your first two years and as a junior sit out because your club encouraged it. So now on game day when everyone else in school is buzzing about the big game coming up, wearing their uniform to school, maybe even getting to the state finals...you are watching and thinking "well at least I get to PRACTICE for a team I PAY to play on today"?

And I am not a Stars basher, we recruit their players and appreciate the relationship with them as a club. But this move is not one that seems in the best interest of players, it seems to be in the best interest of club coffers.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
      hey, quit beating down the poor libs with inconvenient truths. Didn't you hear? It's going to be like 1/2 degree warmer in greenland by 2090. Head for the hills!
      lol!!

Comment

it would make the girls better players. i vote YES

Comment

Don't kid yourself, the Republican entitlements are much greater. GE made $13 BILLION and paid NO taxes. At a 20% tax rate, they got a $2.6 BILLION entitlement. Just one of the many Republican entitlements.
          I often wonder who Obama won two presidential elections; and then I read posts like this and realize the majority of his supporters are clueless

Comment

Regarding this topic, I spoke to a few DI coaches recently about it and what they thought at a camp we were working at together. None (out of 3) believe it is a good thing right now. No games, no precedent, no support locally, just one club (so far) that is pushing it. Surprisingly they also felt that the mere social part of high school soccer was something that was important in terms of their overall development and identity - not as a soccer player, but as a young person. One brought up this point - imagine you are a soccer player at a high school, you have played for your first two years and as a junior sit out because your club encouraged it. So now on game day when everyone else in school is buzzing about the big game coming up, wearing their uniform to school, maybe even getting to the state finals...you are watching and thinking "well at least I get to PRACTICE for a team I PAY to play on today"?

And I am not a Stars basher, we recruit their players and appreciate the relationship with them as a club. But this move is not one that seems in the best interest of players, it seems to be in the best interest of club coffers.
            Very logical and I agree - playing HS sports can be a part of developing into a well rounded adult. It might not be best for all, but as I said players should be given the choice. I think one reason DAP gets away with it is reduced/free tuition at most clubs. I doubt ECNL in general will, nor will it go anywhere unless it's mandated and parents can't complain because they aren't paying nearly as much as they are now.

In addition I think the social aspect for girls is even more important than for the boys. My two sons never had issues leaving teams if it was the right thing to do developmentally. My daughter has only left one club and to her the hardest part was leaving friends, even though logically she knew it was the right thing to do for soccer.

Comment

I often wonder who Obama won two presidential elections; and then I read posts like this and realize the majority of his supporters are clueless
              I like the left slanting Hobby Lobby things going around lately. Comical.

Comment

And I am not a Stars basher, we recruit their players and appreciate the relationship with them as a club. But this move is not one that seems in the best interest of players, it
                seems to be in the best interest of club coffers.

Good post.

Comment

Gee, another thread created to create and instigate controversy about Stars. This is getting to a point where Stars really ought to sue this guy.
                  Sue him for what? For having an opinion? Ever hear of freedom of speech? BTW - as usual, you have no clue who is posting what.

Comment

Sue him for what? For having an opinion? Ever hear of freedom of speech? BTW - as usual, you have no clue who is posting what.
                    Nevermind that....who are they going to sue?

Comment

[QUO swabsTE=Unregistered;1331339]Gee, another thread created to create and instigate controversy about Stars. This is getting to a point where Stars really ought to sue this guy.[/QUOTE]

don't kid yourself the GE CEO is one of the biggest Obama Rump swabs going.

Comment

Sue him for what? For having an opinion?...
                        Agreed. BTDT is a negative indicator: Stars should be paying him for the non-stop publicity. NEFC has just won various championships--but BTNT can't stop writing feverishly about a club he deems "faded" and "irrelevant."

Congrats to NEFC's GU14s.

Comment

Here's something that's going to sound heretical but this seems like the right forum in which to belch it out. When I watch low level D3 games I think "bad high school soccer". When I watch high level D3 games I think "good high school soccer". When I see mid-level D1 games I think "really good high school soccer". I don't see many high-level D1 games live.

Where am I going with this? I rarely ever see college soccer that is as good as (or even comparable in kind with) quality club soccer. To me, all college soccer seems to have a high school feel about it. Lack of control. Athletes pressed to their physical limits to the detriment of their skills. As a rule, it seems to me that they try to compete on a pace they do not possess. In club soccer, you seem to get players who compete at the pace where they can play skillfully. A massive generalization, to be sure, but this has been my general experience.

Comment

Its all about money/revenue for Stars that is why they are pushing this along with players or should I say parents worried their kid not making their school varsity team.
                            "...not making their HS varsity" ? Really? Anyone who made a Stars ECNL team would not be too worried about making HS varsity I would think.

Comment

Here's something that's going to sound heretical but this seems like the right forum in which to belch it out. When I watch low level D3 games I think "bad high school soccer". When I watch high level D3 games I think "good high school soccer". When I see mid-level D1 games I think "really good high school soccer". I don't see many high-level D1 games live.

Where am I going with this? I rarely ever see college soccer that is as good as (or even comparable in kind with) quality club soccer. To me, all college soccer seems to have a high school feel about it. Lack of control. Athletes pressed to their physical limits to the detriment of their skills. As a rule, it seems to me that they try to compete on a pace they do not possess. In club soccer, you seem to get players who compete at the pace where they can play skillfully. A massive generalization, to be sure, but this has been my general experience.
                              Or...D1 soccer = high school soccer on steroids

Comment

The ECNL staggers their entire schedule around the HS season. It's funny to see some of the comments on this site when one of the local teams loses an early season showcase game to a low level team that is playing in their 20th game of the season. Unless the entire league goes in that direction, I do not see this "encouragement" gaining much traction. That's not say that some kids at a school with a bad team or some bubble kids won't do it to try to gain an edge, but really at the end of the day, how much is really gained?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X