Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do you mind sharing what clinic she attended as a freshman? My D is a freshmen and really wants to play in college. I think it would be a great experience for her to understand the skill level and get an understanding of what she needs to work on in the upcoming years.
    Mine started when she was in the 8th grade by going to local clinics (Harvard & BC). When she was going into her Freshman year we created a list of 10 schools where she "thought" she might be interested in going to school and where her coach thought she might have the ability to play. We spent the freshman and sophomore year getting through about 3/4's of that list by doing campus visits and all of the clinics of the schools that emerged as front runners.

Comment

Mine started when she was in the 8th grade by going to local clinics (Harvard & BC). When she was going into her Freshman year we created a list of 10 schools where she "thought" she might be interested in going to school and where her coach thought she might have the ability to play. We spent the freshman and sophomore year getting through about 3/4's of that list by doing campus visits and all of the clinics of the schools that emerged as front runners.
      Thanks, great feedback! My D and I have already come up with a short list and had preliminary talks with her club coach regarding her ability. My neice also went through the process, although she's playing field hockey, so I've used them as a sounding board.

Comment

Glad you wrote that. Exactly what I found when my D attended a college clinic in the spring of her freshman year. It made the whole idea of playing in college more tangible (including the part about focusing on grades).

It's a different than attending that first college clinic, but now going to do this clinic in January: http://www.elitecollegesports.com/so...c-january-2015
        Be wary of those trying to profit from the recruiting game. This is an ad from a clinic promoter. Recognize that this is not the same thing as an ID clinic run by a college coach on their own campus.

Comment

Do you mind sharing what clinic she attended as a freshman? My D is a freshmen and really wants to play in college. I think it would be a great experience for her to understand the skill level and get an understanding of what she needs to work on in the upcoming years.
          Happened to be Williams, but any number of similar clinics would be good. Nice if the clinic also has an information session with either the coach or preferably admissions.

Comment

our club has a director of recruiting to help identify those schools your players grades and skill level would be places to start. Don't msg clubs offer this?

Comment

If a clinic is at a school that your D is genuinely interested in attending, and you want feedback from the coach, do some prep work beforehand. (1) Sign up on the team's online prospect list; (2) Send the coach a letter and resume expressing interest in the team; (3) Call the coach and schedule an on campus meeting and do a campus tour. (With all the NCAA rules people forget that while the coach may not always be able to contact or visit the player, the player can always go to the coach on his/her own campus.)

That way when you show up for the clinic you're not just another face in the crowd. The coach will pay more attention because he knows that you are someone who already has an interest in his program and because it's simply human nature to be curious about people we already know.

Comment

If a clinic is at a school that your D is genuinely interested in attending, and you want feedback from the coach, do some prep work beforehand. (1) Sign up on the team's online prospect list; (2) Send the coach a letter and resume expressing interest in the team; (3) Call the coach and schedule an on campus meeting and do a campus tour. (With all the NCAA rules people forget that while the coach may not always be able to contact or visit the player, the player can always go to the coach on his/her own campus.)

That way when you show up for the clinic you're not just another face in the crowd. The coach will pay more attention because he knows that you are someone who already has an interest in his program and because it's simply human nature to be curious about people we already know.
                Great advice. Coaches recruit the kids that are interested in their school. Smart recruiters know that trying to pick random players out of a crowd hoping that they might be interested in coming to their school is not terrible effective.

Comment

Calling a college coach is really difficult for most high school girls. Which is all the more reason for doing it. That can really set you apart from those who are only blasting out generic emails.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X