Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter & Spring College ID Clinics

OK, with high school season winding down soon, wondering about good ID clinics over the winter and spring for my sophomore daughter. Is there a single site that has a list of clinics?

I can just see the responses to this "if you haven't been contacted yet you should save your money - definitely not part of the Elite 3-4% sniff sniff"

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I can just see the responses to this "if you haven't been contacted yet you should save your money - definitely not part of the Elite 3-4% sniff sniff"

Very true!

Comment

count down in 5...4...3..2..1

Comment

OK, with high school season winding down soon, wondering about good ID clinics over the winter and spring for my sophomore daughter. Is there a single site that has a list of clinics?
          I've not found a website, but if you go to specific colleges they'll usually list theirs. But it's time consuming to search; some are right on the front of the website, but some require some work to find. I think that it's still a little early for most to list their clinics.

Comment

Clinics are the single best way to gauge a coaches interest. If your child shows well, you'll know and get feedback. This doesn't mean the more competitive programs won't want to see your child in game or tournament situations later, but attending when younger certainly provides a reality check for many players and parents.

Comment

Small piece of advice: Pick and choose based on the schools you and your D are (or legitimately could be) interested in, not just by which ones happen to be holding a clinic.

Comment

Small piece of advice: Pick and choose based on the schools you and your D are (or legitimately could be) interested in, not just by which ones happen to be holding a clinic.
                Since poster's D is a sophomore I would agree. But if a freshman and you have some good local colleges close by (so no cost other than a bit of gas money and the fee) it's not a bad idea to try them as a freshman. Even though they are still young you can get a better sense if they've really got what it takes or not. My S went to two as a freshman and it was a real eye opener for him. It made him work that much harder that next year to be better prepared.

Comment

Clinics are the single best way to gauge a coaches interest. If your child shows well, you'll know and get feedback. This doesn't mean the more competitive programs won't want to see your child in game or tournament situations later, but attending when younger certainly provides a reality check for many players and parents.
                  Clinics are a way for coaches to make a little $$$. They charge 75 to 100 bucks and get anywhere from 50 to 100 kids there. Not a bad little profit. The "feedback" was very mixed and trended to no real feedback. Great way to visit a school, get a tour, see what level the soccer is at and see if there might be a fit. I would not expect any real feedback from coaches.

Comment

Since poster's D is a sophomore I would agree. But if a freshman and you have some good local colleges close by (so no cost other than a bit of gas money and the fee) it's not a bad idea to try them as a freshman. Even though they are still young you can get a better sense if they've really got what it takes or not. My S went to two as a freshman and it was a real eye opener for him. It made him work that much harder that next year to be better prepared.
                    Do you think it is worth it if your freshmen kid is on the small side, but skilled? Or will they simply get crushed by the bigger kids? That is, should he wait until next year?

Comment

Clinics are a way for coaches to make a little $$$. They charge 75 to 100 bucks and get anywhere from 50 to 100 kids there. Not a bad little profit. The "feedback" was very mixed and trended to no real feedback. Great way to visit a school, get a tour, see what level the soccer is at and see if there might be a fit. I would not expect any real feedback from coaches.
                      I've seen a range. You're right, some charge over $100 and you don't feel that the coach noticed a single kid. Others, have head coach, assistant coaches, and a few current players watching and observing everything.

Understandable that it's hard for the coach to give substantial feedback when there's a line of 25 kids waiting to say "thank you" and "how did I do?" If they're DIII you can email them. And if they are DI and you email only about feedback on the clinic (no discussion of going there, recruiting, etc.) the coach will sometimes give feedback over email; and you can always call after the clinic.

Comment

How you use clinics is not all that much different than other parts of the recruiting process. A lot depends upon where you are in your child's process and what your specific goals are. As with other aspects of recruiting the more objective you are and better you target your choices the more likely you will find what you are looking for. One note specific to clinics, at the onset they can be an invaluable tool for helping to focus your child on the task at had. Sometimes just being on a college campus and around college coaches and players helps focus them on what they are looking for and what might be out there for them. As you go through it with them, them knowing what they want can make all the difference in the world in terms of how much sanity you both will have left when you come out the other side.

Comment

I've seen a range. You're right, some charge over $100 and you don't feel that the coach noticed a single kid. Others, have head coach, assistant coaches, and a few current players watching and observing everything.

Understandable that it's hard for the coach to give substantial feedback when there's a line of 25 kids waiting to say "thank you" and "how did I do?" If they're DIII you can email them. And if they are DI and you email only about feedback on the clinic (no discussion of going there, recruiting, etc.) the coach will sometimes give feedback over email; and you can always call after the clinic.
                          Too many people expect miracles at these clinics. Coaches very seldom, if ever, come running over falling all over themselves trying to talk to your child after they have watched them for a couple of hours. If you play it like you're a pick up artist where you are going to go in, dazzle them, and leave with the best looking person on your arm you are going to be disappointed. If you think of recruiting like a mating dance where you spiral closer and closer to each other you'll have the right frame of mind. You are trying to form a relationship with a potential suitor and that takes time. If you are too brash or too desperate that tends to turn off potential suitors. Be patient and deliberate. Expect a clinic to be just one of several points of contact you will have a coach so once you really getting into the whole recruiting process you really want to pick the clinics you send your child to carefully.

Comment

One note specific to clinics, at the onset they can be an invaluable tool for helping to focus your child on the task at had. Sometimes just being on a college campus and around college coaches and players helps focus them on what they are looking for and what might be out there for them. As you go through it with them, them knowing what they want can make all the difference in the world in terms of how much sanity you both will have left when you come out the other side.
                            Glad you wrote that. Exactly what I found when my D attended a college clinic in the spring of her freshman year. It made the whole idea of playing in college more tangible (including the part about focusing on grades).

It's a different than attending that first college clinic, but now going to do this clinic in January: http://www.elitecollegesports.com/so...c-january-2015

Comment

Glad you wrote that. Exactly what I found when my D attended a college clinic in the spring of her freshman year. It made the whole idea of playing in college more tangible (including the part about focusing on grades).

It's a different than attending that first college clinic, but now going to do this clinic in January: http://www.elitecollegesports.com/so...c-january-2015
                              Do you mind sharing what clinic she attended as a freshman? My D is a freshmen and really wants to play in college. I think it would be a great experience for her to understand the skill level and get an understanding of what she needs to work on in the upcoming years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X