Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I guess you skipped the first paragraph of the article...

"Ludlow, the 17-time state champion, unknowingly played with an academically ineligible player in 11 of its 12 games so far this season and will be forced to forfeit all of those games. The team, which was 8-2-2 before the forfeits, will move to 1-11-0 and not have a chance to reach the .500 winning percentage necessary to make the postseason."
    "Academically" could refer to failing grades or not having enough credits. I would think it to be likely the later with a transfer student as mentioned earlier.

Comment

"Academically" could refer to failing grades or not having enough credits. I would think it to be likely the later with a transfer student as mentioned earlier.
      The athletic department, coach and players have a responsibility to know the status of players on the team. Period.

Whether it's something as simple as an expired physical, failing grade point average, or not having the appropriate waiver after transfer or to play for a national team -- you know the rules, you know the status. If you don't, it's not because you were confused or something wasn't clear in the rules...and certainly not for 11 games.

Comment

Ludlow coach Greg Kolodziey said he was informed by athletic director Tim Brillo on Tuesday that one of his players was ineligible, and that the team turned the information into the MIAA once it found out. Kolodziey said he did not know the player was ineligible before Tuesday.

"We are going to deal with the consequences," Kolodziey said.

"The team will now appeal the MIAA’s decision to rule those games as forfeits. The appeal will take place in late October."
        In other words, we broke the rules, but don't apply the consequences. Typical.

Comment

In other words, we broke the rules, but don't apply the consequences. Typical.
          Didn't something similiar happen to Attleboro last year? I think they appealed and won; they were allowed to play in the state tournament even though they were below .500

Comment

First, Ludlow is not out of it. The article says they qualify if they can manage 2d place in their division of their league. So the players have plenty of motivation.

Second, this happened just last year with Attleboro. Attleboro appealed, like Ludlow says they plan to do, and MIAA allowed Attleboro into the tournament. MIAA didn't want to discourage the reporting of violations by applying the penalty called for in its rules (you would think that would cause them to change the rules/penalties if they are not going to apply them, but have they?. The games with the ineligible player were regarded as losses, so Attleboro was in with a losing record and the lowest ranking in the south sectional.

So on one hand, Ludlow has a good argument in their appeal that Attleboro is a precedent, and Ludlow should be afforded the same treatment.

A counterargument should be that especially when it just happened last year, all schools should have been especially vigilant to make sure all students are eligible.

It may not be the same at all schools, but at many this responsibility is squarely the athletic director's. Students have to register to play a sport, and the AD uses that to confirm eligibility before a season begins. Principal should require a signed report from AD before each season that AD has checked everyone, and that should go to league office. This process basically takes it out of players' and coaches' hands, which all considered makes some sense. Either Ludlow's process has holes, or at least one adult did not follow the process correctly.

Comment

Either Ludlow's process has holes, or at least one adult did not follow the process correctly.
              Good post. I'd argue it's both by virtue of those being one and the same at some point. The AD is responsible for the process.

Comment

Good post. I'd argue it's both by virtue of those being one and the same at some point. The AD is responsible for the process.
                And MIAA really should look at its rules. If you have rules, but do not apply them, then change or remove them. If the application is that teams with ineligible players are in the tournament if they otherwise qualified and the mistake was an "honest" one, then amend the rule to state that, or whatever. You know MIAA is just praying that Ludlow qualifies by coming in 2d in their league standings, so MIAA won't have to deal with the appeal.

Comment

Ludlow

Did this young man not get his report card in June? He and his parents should have known before he went to try outs.

Comment

Did this young man not get his report card in June? He and his parents should have known before he went to try outs.
                    Assuming the family knew (and may or may not have been trying to get away with it), ultimately it would be the school's responsibility to catch the issue.

Comment

I guess you skipped the first paragraph of the article...

"Ludlow, the 17-time state champion, unknowingly played with an academically ineligible player in 11 of its 12 games so far this season and will be forced to forfeit all of those games. The team, which was 8-2-2 before the forfeits, will move to 1-11-0 and not have a chance to reach the .500 winning percentage necessary to make the postseason."
                      I didn't skip anything. What I wrote is accurate and still stands. The player was ineligible after game one but it took 10 more games before it 'came to light', after they were effectively eliminated from the tournament. Why not after game 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10?

Maybe you skipped reading comprehension 101.

Comment

I didn't skip anything. What I wrote is accurate and still stands. The player was ineligible after game one but it took 10 more games before it 'came to light', after they were effectively eliminated from the tournament. Why not after game 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10?

Maybe you skipped reading comprehension 101.
                        Oh, so getting caught at trying to get away with something wasn't a possibility? And oblivion rather than oversight, meaning there was no reason or calculation, as your question implied, that wasn't a possibility either?

Got any other mind blowing conspiracies you can share with us?

Comment

At the risk of placing reaponsibility, but what is the higher priority, education or ludlow soccer? Furthermore, I believe it is the 'student' that is responsible to attend class, learn, and get good grades. Thereafter some form of a parent should be overseeing the process. The third layer is the school. Although the latter has an obligation to track the students, I would not minimize the role and contribution of the former two. Or, have we deteriorated so much such that all blame falls on someone else for an individual's actions and outcome. Maybe someone can cry racism!!!
                          I hope in all of these concerns for the ludlow soccer team and the end of a streak of tournament appearances, someone will be concerned enough to look into the education of these kids.....perhaps the student themself....or their parents

Comment

It's a nice idea that responsibility and standards applied to education and rules would come first.

Comment

Oh I get it. 17 State Championships go out and recruit and bring good players to a public school. Then win and find out oops he wasnt eligible. Then go and blame the transfer rule. Right. I get it now. It is a private school recruitment to a public free high school. Tell the kids from Ludlow nice job playing for 10 years but Johnny from Adams is taking your spot. Then get caught and piss moan and groan that you didnt know??? Come on Really??

Comment

Oh I get it. 17 State Championships go out and recruit and bring good players to a public school. Then win and find out oops he wasnt eligible. Then go and blame the transfer rule. Right. I get it now. It is a private school recruitment to a public free high school. Tell the kids from Ludlow nice job playing for 10 years but Johnny from Adams is taking your spot. Then get caught and piss moan and groan that you didnt know??? Come on Really??
                                Article only says academics - is that grades or eligibility? Either way the AD has a whole lot of apologizing to do to the players who worked hard all season.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X