Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEPSAC Girls 2013

I am relatively new to this site, and disappointed that the primary / only thread for Private School Soccer is the ISL one, which is decidedly snarky, with way too many off-topic references, intended to demonize club teams, individual players, and parents from different schools.

I see there was a general Girls NEPSAC thread last year (at least marginally more classy), but no posts on it this season. So I figured I would start one and see how it goes.

I am NOT a moderator or an admin, so have zero control over this thread. But I will ask the following favors of anyone who decides to post here:
    1. Posts have more weight when they are from a Registered User, and not anonymous. Registering is easy, and none of your personal information becomes public unless you so choose. Please register before posting.
    2. The thread will be more enjoyable to all users if it is (relatively) objective, and not just "my school rocks, your school sucks." If your daughter is playing NESCAC, she is probably classy. I just ask you to follow suit.
    3. There are lots of great players out there, and they don't all attend the same 3 schools. Similarly, most (all?) teams have a player or two who is less gifted. Let's celebrate them all, not just the ones who will go on to play D1 or WNT.
    4. Dynasties can be fun, but so can Cinderella stories. Just because School X is not a 5-time repeat champion, let's not disparage the school, the coaches, and most especially the players.
    This could turn out to be a really interesting thread. Or it could sink into the general morass of this site (in which case I will take my ball and go home within a week or two). It's all up to us.
    Last edited by Pink Hat Dad; 10-02-2013, 11:01 PM.

I'll Start

As my user name suggests, my daughter goes to Tabor. (I had the temerity to say something nice about Tabor on the ISL thread, and an ISL parent told me to take my pink hat and go home). She played club for Crusaders growing up (cue snarky comments from the fanboys of the other clubs - you know who you are), then drifted away from soccer to a different sport, a different club, and a different recruiting process.

Her freshman year, Tabor won all of one game. Sophomore year was better, and last year Tabor surprised a lot of folks by making it to the NEPSAC tourney, winning our quarter-final against Pomfret (PK's, in the most exciting playoff game I can remember), then falling to ultimate Class B champion Gov's in the semi's.

This year, the girls have started 6-0-0, beating a bunch of teams that used to routinely trounce us: Brooks, Milton, Andover and WMA. Will they go all the way? Who knows? Who cares? Right now they are living in the moment and it is FUN - everything youth sports is supposed to be, but got lost in translation at Progin Park, Nashua, Cranberry Cup, and other stops along the way.

My daughter will not play soccer in college (she is committed to a great school for her other sport), so this is the last stop on her soccer journey. Like I said, we are in the moment, and blessed to be on a team with strong coaching and wonderful teammates.

If you are enjoying your daughter's own journey, and willing to engage in mature dialog, you're most welcome here.
    Last edited by Pink Hat Dad; 10-02-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Don't mean to offend you here in your own thread but the reaction you got in the ISL thread was likely the result of the jaundiced pallor the ISL crowd has developed after years of antagonism from posters like the WA troll and the Fly Like and Eagle troll. Think you will find that anytime anyone from a team that is on a hot streak says anything remotely positive about their own team they get severely bashed. It doesn't matter what league/conference that team belongs to. Enjoy the run. There are far too few of them in life. Also good luck to your daughter.

Comment

I have my fingers crossed, that your initial thread guidelines are followed.
        I am happy for Tabor and hope the fun continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I have my fingers crossed, that your initial thread guidelines are followed.
          I am happy for Tabor and hope the fun continues.
          Will not login because too many anonymous posters play games with words to work their different agendas so I will simply ask you this question. What is the fun you are hoping to have here? Do you honestly expect anyone in an anonymous forum to join you in your excitement? I personally would love to have a civil conversation with you but feel I must say that you are in the wrong place if that is what you are looking for. Many others have tried to get this place cleaned up but the simple fact is there is no appetite for any civility by either the other posters or the site's operators. This site is a sewer and unfortunately your request marks you as a naïve newbie walking into a combat zone.

Comment

Thx for starting the thread. I like your positive approach and happy to participate if it continues. My D is having a blast, really enjoying the season so far. I have seen Tabor play and they are a well-coached team and should do well, particularly since they are not relying on one or two superstars. Pingree is another good program.

Comment

Where are the NEPSAC playoffs held? Who decides the seedings?

Comment

Where are the NEPSAC playoffs held? Who decides the seedings?
                Most quarter final and semifinal games are played at the home of the higher seed. If teams are very far way ( more than 2 and 3/4 hours ) a neutral site is found. The finals are all held at a neutral site that varies from east to west. Check NEPSAC site for this year.

Seedlings are done by coaches. B coaches select A teams, C coaches select D teams, etc
                This is much fairer than what is done in some other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Hat Dad View Post
                  As my user name suggests, my daughter goes to Tabor. (I had the temerity to say something nice about Tabor on the ISL thread, and an ISL parent told me to take my pink hat and go home). She played club for Crusaders growing up (cue snarky comments from the fanboys of the other clubs - you know who you are), then drifted away from soccer to a different sport, a different club, and a different recruiting process.

Her freshman year, Tabor won all of one game. Sophomore year was better, and last year Tabor surprised a lot of folks by making it to the NEPSAC tourney, winning our quarter-final against Pomfret (PK's, in the most exciting playoff game I can remember), then falling to ultimate Class B champion Gov's in the semi's.

This year, the girls have started 6-0-0, beating a bunch of teams that used to routinely trounce us: Brooks, Milton, Andover and WMA. Will they go all the way? Who knows? Who cares? Right now they are living in the moment and it is FUN - everything youth sports is supposed to be, but got lost in translation at Progin Park, Nashua, Cranberry Cup, and other stops along the way.

My daughter will not play soccer in college (she is committed to a great school for her other sport), so this is the last stop on her soccer journey. Like I said, we are in the moment, and blessed to be on a team with strong coaching and wonderful teammates.

If you are enjoying your daughter's own journey, and willing to engage in mature dialog, you're most welcome here.
                  Been there myself and it was a fun ride. Enjoy!

-the WA troll

Comment

Been there myself and it was a fun ride. Enjoy!

-the WA troll
                    The rest are glad you moved on because you were a dick when your daughter was in high school.

Comment

What's the meaning of the pink hat? Are those the school colors?

Comment

The rest are glad you moved on because you were a dick when your daughter was in high school.
                        At least I never had to resort to that kind of language while busting yours when your kid's team was getting beat up by WA four years in a row.

BTW Why are you over here ISL troll? I thought the only thing that matters is the league championship.

Comment

At least I never had to resort to that kind of language while busting yours when your kid's team was getting beat up by WA four years in a row.

BTW Why are you over here ISL troll? I thought the only thing that matters is the league championship.
                          Ancient history. WA is on the slide down to nowhere. You know what the problem is ... no money to fund FA. They just aint getting the players.

Comment

What's the meaning of the pink hat? Are those the school colors?
                            LOL! Thanks for that!

No, Tabor is "The School by the Sea", and a lot of parents wear Nantucket Red ballcaps with the Tabor logo(s). When I posted on the ISL site, some condescending jerk referred to me as "Pink Hat Dad." I've been called a lot worse in life, so why not? "Pink Hat Dad" it is.

BTW Tabor's colors are Maroon and Black, with White away jerseys.

Thanks to all the folks who have posted positive comments. So far, this is a lot more mature and classy than the ISL thread, with the exception of the guy who took the anonymous potshots at the WA parent. Guess there's one in every crowd. Let's see if the civil discourse can continue...

You are welcome here even if your daughter's team is 0-5-0. Lots of good stuff to discuss without bragging on our kids (or bashing other peoples' kids).

Comment

Happy to support 'Pink hat Dad' and his goals for this thread.
                              Those of you who want to bring it down to the level of other threads, please don't.
                              I look forward to positive reporting of various soccer topics in the various leagues.
                              Important game tonight between KU and Holderness in the Lake Regions league.
                              Good luck to both teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X