Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Absolutely they have them all the time. I highly recommend doing them if possible. It's one thing to walk around on a campus tour for a few hours. But staying over night(s) with students at the school, eating the food, seeing what the social scene is like is a great way to decide on a school. It's a big decision that costs A LOT of money. My son did two - first one helped him eliminate that school (too much partying for him) and second one confirmed that's where he wanted to be.
    LOL. Going on an over night is normal now but doing all of this same work was derided as crazy when it involved kids actually involved in early recruitment and getting recruited.

Comment

Absolutely they have them all the time. I highly recommend doing them if possible. It's one thing to walk around on a campus tour for a few hours. But staying over night(s) with students at the school, eating the food, seeing what the social scene is like is a great way to decide on a school. It's a big decision that costs A LOT of money. My son did two - first one helped him eliminate that school (too much partying for him) and second one confirmed that's where he wanted to be.
      Seems that the lack of fit might have been more with the kids on the soccer team than the school itself or are you saying that in general your felt there was just too much of a party atmosphere at the school?

Comment

Attrition is not exactly a barometer to how how the team/players view the coach, or how the coach recruits. Most times the issue isn't the coach, but the players team mates and most likely the players in the same graduating class. Really depends on the group, and how the personalities mesh. Can the few at the top, keep the rest motivated while riding the bench and not playing. One bad apple, or one who loves drama, will kill a class faster than a bad coach. I have found that to be more of a factor in attrition, than anything else. The other big one is coaches not getting to know the players well during the recruiting process, or doing the background check with coaches, guidance councelors, team mates, opposing coaches. If every year the combined Jr and Sr class is the same number, or less as the freshmen class, you most likely have an issue.
        A la Trinity

Comment

A couple of suggestions/thoughts:

1. Your kid must talk to a variety of the kids on the team -- not just the 1 or 2 assigned to show her around. Talk to some of the kids who do not start in particular. Find out what they like and dislike about the program. Find out if the coach is nice. Coaches are always nice when recruiting a kid. A couple of the guys who were sweet as pie during recruitment we later learned were screamers.

2. You have to like the school and team first. The reality is that coaches leave all the time at all levels of college sports. The odds that your coach will be there for the next 4 years are probably 50/50 at best. The next coach may be a jerk or the greatest thing ever so you have to focus on making sure the school works for them.

3. Don't worry about kids leaving a program as juniors and seniors. That's normal. As kids get into tougher classes in their major that require more time, and as they start with internships, campus jobs, etc . . . and unless they are playing a lot and having fun a pretty good percentage of players -- boys and girls, Div I through Div III will decide to drop. If you saw a whole lot of a freshman or sophomore class drop -- that I would want to know more about.

Comment

A couple of suggestions/thoughts:

2. You have to like the school and team first. The reality is that coaches leave all the time at all levels of college sports. The odds that your coach will be there for the next 4 years are probably 50/50 at best. The next coach may be a jerk or the greatest thing ever so you have to focus on making sure the school works for them.
            Three true points, but remember that coaches don't always leave, even if they are horrible and have terrible records. Beware the team with the coach that won't go away, and the AD that doesn't have a clue.

Comment

On the other hand, kids leaving freshman/sophomore doesn't mean its a coach issue. Lots of little superstars show up to find out they aren't ever going to see the field much, so drop.

And the flip side on the coach leaving- yes, you usually can't plan on the coach sticking around. But there are some plum jobs where you have a pretty good indication that the coach is there forever. And then there are the coaches who are 70+ and still hanging on, and the record (or their health) is tailing off, so don't be surprised if they may be moving along.

As with all these things, go in with your eyes open. And have somebody be realistic with the player about where they fit- it usually won't be mummy and daddy or the player themselves. I hate to say it but I'm not sure the club coaches are always helping either.

Comment

On the other hand, kids leaving freshman/sophomore doesn't mean its a coach issue. Lots of little superstars show up to find out they aren't ever going to see the field much, so drop.

And the flip side on the coach leaving- yes, you usually can't plan on the coach sticking around. But there are some plum jobs where you have a pretty good indication that the coach is there forever. And then there are the coaches who are 70+ and still hanging on, and the record (or their health) is tailing off, so don't be surprised if they may be moving along.

As with all these things, go in with your eyes open. And have somebody be realistic with the player about where they fit- it usually won't be mummy and daddy or the player themselves. I hate to say it but I'm not sure the club coaches are always helping either.
                Coaches can come and go at any time - fired, leave for something better, retirement...so make sure you like prospective teammates, assistant coaches, etc. But most importantly there must be a good academic fit. Players also might not be playing for long so they better like the school.

Comment

I respectfully disagree with you. I think, and have seen first hand, how a coach can influence a Div 3 team in a positive way. The scenario you describe is real, and happens at a lot of D3/part time coach schools. I will not argue that, but I've seen strong D3 coaches motivate the Student/Athletes on and off the field, with constant team building, and a genuine interest in the players studies and soccer development. The good ones, at the D3 level find away to connect the student and athlete side in a way that benefits the individual and the team, and all while having complete control of the team. There are some really good coaches, who happen to believe in the D3 mission, and have found a way to keep/graduate players, and play good ball, all while respecting their team mates. It can be done, but you have to do some homework. The leadership at the top usually filters down, good and bad!
                  ^^^^^
                  so is this what happened with conn college? congrats to them on the tie/win in shootout over williams.

Comment

^^^^^
                    so is this what happened with conn college? congrats to them on the tie/win in shootout over williams.
                    Conn coach is a class act. This is his third year and I think you are beginning to see his hard work recruiting payoff. The guy has been at a lot of tournaments (big and small) since arriving.

He had a pretty good track record out in Ohio making NCAAs prior to Conn. I think you'll see him pulling in a lot more CT/MA/RI/NY kids in the coming years that desire to play NESCAC.

Comment

Conn coach is a class act. This is his third year and I think you are beginning to see his hard work recruiting payoff. The guy has been at a lot of tournaments (big and small) since arriving.

He had a pretty good track record out in Ohio making NCAAs prior to Conn. I think you'll see him pulling in a lot more CT/MA/RI/NY kids in the coming years that desire to play NESCAC.
                      Slow down buddy, even the NESCAC folks don't buy this infomercial. In that realm Conn is not all that highly regarded and that will level out success rather than ensure it.

Comment

Slow down buddy, even the NESCAC folks don't buy this infomercial. In that realm Conn is not all that highly regarded and that will level out success rather than ensure it.
                        Seriously. I can't say I was impressed with his behavior on the sidelines in several games this season but 100% kudos to the girls on having a great season, which is not over yet.

Comment

Go eat your sour grapes elsewhere Williams fan.

Like him or not, conn coach arrived a few years ago and immediately cleaned house of players who viewed practice as optional. Attended many more tournaments than the average NESCAC coach and rounded up better skilled recruiting classes than his predecessor. Conn is now reaping the fruits of that labor and the improvement in player skill and attitude. To go from perennial cellar dweller to NESCAC champion in a few short years is a real achievement, no matter what the haters say.

Comment

Like him or not, conn coach arrived a few years ago and immediately cleaned house of players who viewed practice as optional. Attended many more tournaments than the average NESCAC coach and rounded up better skilled recruiting classes than his predecessor. Conn is now reaping the fruits of that labor and the improvement in player skill and attitude. To go from perennial cellar dweller to NESCAC champion in a few short years is a real achievement, no matter what the haters say.
                            Wait! Weve been told for years that Recruiting off campus, for a NESCAC, is an illegal activity. If The Conn College coach has been attending tournaments, in hopes of finding players to play at Conn Coll, he needs to be reported immediately. MP would Never do that! Ever!

Comment

Wait! Weve been told for years that Recruiting off campus, for a NESCAC, is an illegal activity. If The Conn College coach has been attending tournaments, in hopes of finding players to play at Conn Coll, he needs to be reported immediately. MP would Never do that! Ever!
                              To the Conn coach supporter, I would ignore most of these posts. There is a poster or 2 on here who love to trash anything and everything NESCAC related. Best to not engage.

As parent of kid on opposing NESCAC team, I agree Conn coach has done remarkable job turning around the program and I suspect they will be good for years to come, given young talent and how hard team plays for the coach. However, I am also not big fan of coach's sideline behavior at times, including constant chirping at refs. Team is also getting reputation for overly aggressive play among other teams in league, and lots of loud mouthed players. Maybe too much recruiting in Tri state area for us stoic New Englanders. Best of luck to your team in NCAA's.

Comment

^^^^^this.

The guy has has watched my kid at 4 tournaments in the past 18 months. More than I can say for Other NESCACS. After this season, Conn is no longer a safety for her. This team has 18 freshmen and sophomores right now, should be good for a couple years to come.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X