Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I disagree with the statement "This thread is nothing but a sales pitch for that sort of coach to sell roster spots." That is, the kind of coach who pulls a 9 yo out of a game for not passing? Not really. The intent of the OP (ie, me) was to relate what I heard a coach say to a kid to illustrate a dividing line between two really big camps in the under u12 youth soccer world, in short, "Play the way we teach you--Pass!" v. "Master the ball and the rest will follow". Of course, the righteous path lies between, but the extremes are fascinating and telling, and I'm always surprised to see how many clubs are at one polar extreme or the other.
    If it takes you more than 10 minutes of watching a game to figure out which camp a team belongs to, you might have actually found a good club! (Hints: If you hear the coach screaming at 9 yos "Wide! Get it wide! WIDER!", you've got a Passing/system team; If you see kids in the defensive end trying the Maradona spin move to the coach's vocal delight, yup, its a Ball mastery team.)
    So why are your here proselytizing if you aren't here trying to sell roster spots?

Comment

And I don't accept the premise, whatever the coach said, that the coach would sternly tell a player at a very young age that he's going to sit on the bench for one attempt at dribbling too much. It doesn't pass the smell test.
      What doesn't pass the smell test? That a coach would speak that way at a U10 game?

I've seen MUCH worse MANY times.

Comment

What doesn't pass the smell test? That a coach would speak that way at a U10 game?

I've seen MUCH worse MANY times.
        I think he means the 'one time' part doesn't pass the smell test, meaning the coach wouldn't pull the kid aside if it was the first time he tried to dribble the field. I bet it wasn't the first time the player "violated" the sacred passing team's rule against dribbling.

Comment

I think he means the 'one time' part doesn't pass the smell test, meaning the coach wouldn't pull the kid aside if it was the first time he tried to dribble the field. I bet it wasn't the first time the player "violated" the sacred passing team's rule against dribbling.
          That is how I personally took things to which I would ask why the parent would have their son play for that coach if that truly was there policy. If it were me, I would walk away from that coach and team after the game I heard that and never look back because the coach is an idiot who doesn't know a thing either about coaching or kids.

Comment

I give my players some different perspectives on this issue. It is guidance that applies at differing times in a match depending on the game situation at that time. One is that the ball wants the easiest path to the goal. Another is to consider attacking the defender 1v1 if there is space behind the defender...otherwise it may be ill advised. Another is that either the player or the ball always have to be moving. And when approaching the goal, does it really help to pass to someone that has the same shot as you do. These are guidelines for the player...they are not axioms. The players need to be allowed to fail, so that they can develop the ability to make decisions on the field. That is how they grow. Then our role as a coach can evolve as their level of play matures. But it all starts with us, as coaches and you as parents, allowing the players to try something and to fail. That is how they learn. And it fosters the sense of creativity in the game that we are so sorely lacking in U.S. Soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X