Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When you play in a town program like MAPLE you need to get the games played when you can. It is not financially viable for some of the MAPLE clubs to extend the season by rescheduling games. That adds additional costs for fields and training which cannot be afforded by our clubs. So maybe the kids caught a little frostbite here and there but at least we got the games in.
    at least one was cancelled due to field conditions

cancellations due to field conditions are made by the venue - usually to preserve the field from getting chewed up by cleats

referees are all enabled to cancel games on the spot due to unsafe conditions - not sure how that affects their paychecks

Comment

When you play in a town program like MAPLE...
      As opposed to the other programs around here that are different, right?

Comment

All my kids ski race in upper Vermont. That said, I would like to add that having a 10 year old play today was just plain stupid.

The kids were miserable. At some point, I think it is important to make sure the kids are having fun or at least a reasonable chance of having fun.
        Enough about soccer. Let's hear more your kids and ski racing. And don't stop there. Tell us their whole incredible story.

Comment

Agree with the others. Suggest you have your child stop playing an outdoor sport and have them pick up a musical instrument instead.
          You responded to my post. As I stated, my children ski race in upstate Vermont all winter. We are outdoors in more harsh conditions that 99.99% of the population of NE. They have ski raced in skinny suits when it was below 0. That said, this weekend games in the eastern part of MA should have been cancelled. Soccer is not the same sport as skiing and given how close this Noreaster was to a hurricane, it was not rational to have 9 and 10 year olds playing soccer and losing the love of a sport.

You can tell how unfun it was for the kids by how fast they raced to get off the field after the games. If this was fun like normal weekends or even marginal weekends then some kids hang around to shoot on net or general horse play. I saw NO ONE hang around.

Kids sports are supposed to be about fun. There is no money on the line. One game is not going to change their life. really poor call by Maple

Comment

Since conditions varied widely, those on the ground should of made the calls as to whether or not to play - venue, ref or even coaches deciding to reschedule. No need for a blanket cancellation but a reminder to coaches and refs to thoroughly assess playing conditions.

Comment

You responded to my post. As I stated, my children ski race in upstate Vermont all winter. We are outdoors in more harsh conditions that 99.99% of the population of NE. They have ski raced in skinny suits when it was below 0. That said, this weekend games in the eastern part of MA should have been cancelled. Soccer is not the same sport as skiing and given how close this Noreaster was to a hurricane, it was not rational to have 9 and 10 year olds playing soccer and losing the love of a sport.

You can tell how unfun it was for the kids by how fast they raced to get off the field after the games. If this was fun like normal weekends or even marginal weekends then some kids hang around to shoot on net or general horse play. I saw NO ONE hang around.

Kids sports are supposed to be about fun. There is no money on the line. One game is not going to change their life. really poor call by Maple
              You had an option - not had them play. No one is forcing them on the field.

Comment

BTW -- did you hear about the barometric pressure of the storm? At one point, it was very close to hurricane level. Unfortunately, Noreaster's are not tracked like hurricanes so they do not have the same visibility. If a tropical depression hit MA in September we would have cancelled all games

Nobody was ever harmed by being exposed to low barometric pressure.

Comment

Maybe in your house it is supposed to all be about fun (as you personally define it) but please don't lecture me because in our house we look at things differently. I'm serious about you taking your kids out of outdoor team sports. You clearly don't have the tolerance level for them. You come across like a lot of parents with myopic views (which is probably why your kids are in an individual sport like skiing). You have no idea how anyone else's kid felt about playing you just know that YOU and yours didn't enjoy standing out in the weather and so now everyone must adhere to your vision of what is proper. That is not how team sports work which is exactly why your child should pick up a musical instrument instead of staying with soccer. With a musical instrument you can control all of the elements and typically the parents don't have to inconvenience themselves all that much, if at all while, their children participates. That is more your speed.

Comment

Maybe not band they have to play outside at football games.
                    If your kids are anything like you maybe join the drama club.

Comment

5 stars

Maybe not band they have to play outside at football games.
                      If your kids are anything like you maybe join the drama club.
                      y'all gotta admit that was VERY clever.

Comment

Just a guess... you're from Hingham? Cohasset?
                        I know I'm close.

Comment

Maybe in your house it is supposed to all be about fun (as you personally define it) but please don't lecture me because in our house we look at things differently. I'm serious about you taking your kids out of outdoor team sports. You clearly don't have the tolerance level for them. You come across like a lot of parents with myopic views (which is probably why your kids are in an individual sport like skiing). You have no idea how anyone else's kid felt about playing you just know that YOU and yours didn't enjoy standing out in the weather and so now everyone must adhere to your vision of what is proper. That is not how team sports work which is exactly why your child should pick up a musical instrument instead of staying with soccer. With a musical instrument you can control all of the elements and typically the parents don't have to inconvenience themselves all that much, if at all while, their children participates. That is more your speed.
                          I guess common sense on weather conditions escape you.

I watched 3 games this weekend. EVERY child sprinted off the field when the games were done. I really didn't see a lot of young kids enjoying themselves. I heard parents yelling at their kids to run harder so they could generate body heat. I saw kids crying because they were too cold and the best part was seeing the majority of parents waiting out the game in their cars. If that is not a sign that the games should not have been played I am not sure what is.

Sports especially a youth sports by definition is about fun. There are NO youth sports that were originally designed for children.

"Maybe in your house it is supposed to all be about fun (as you personally define it) but please don't lecture me because in our house we look at things differently. "
                          So what is youth sports in your house? Work? Employment? A means of a D1 scholarship? Please enlighten me.

Comment

Just a guess... you're from Hingham? Cohasset?
                            I know I'm close.
                            Not close. We live on the North Shore

Comment

Since conditions varied widely, those on the ground should of made the calls as to whether or not to play - venue, ref or even coaches deciding to reschedule. No need for a blanket cancellation but a reminder to coaches and refs to thoroughly assess playing conditions.
                              That's it. This thread having MAPLE in the title is dumb.

I'm in central MA, we had matches on the south shore, they were all postponed, some Saturday and Sunday a.m., matches to the west were cold and windy, but playable.

Host team is responsible before the match, ref is responsible on site at kick-off.

Comment

Don't know why Progin is closed? Just drove down rt 2, and besides a couple of gusts of wind, the roads are dry, and driving was like any other windy day. The south coast and south shore are a mess though. Snow accumulating among the leaves on the road. Very sneaky slippery! Easy call to cancel games being played in the south today. The tough call is, when do you cancel in central and western mass, if south eastern mass teams have to travel. I bet if you polled the team parents/players, it would be 50/50. Some don't mind it, and even enjoy this type of day, and some don't. These types of days, and the debate it creates, will always be heavily influenced by the team/club/coaches own views. Not enough here to be a cut and dry decision. No pun intended! Whichever it is, play or no play, be safe!
                                Progin was not closed. MYSA rented the fields to NEP and to a lacrosse group for a tournament. NEP got bumped off but there was a lax tournament played there yesterday on the turf fields.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X