Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Gibberish. You don't seem to understand why money is flowing into the soccer system in the US. The money is being spent by naive parents to get little Landon or little Mia a step ahead of the neighbor's kid, who also plays soccer. It's over-competitive parents that have allowed themselves to be convinced that spending on club soccer now will lead to a college opportunity 8-10 years from now. The goal is college, not the pros, which is what makes the US situation vastly different from other countries.
    And this is the same for hockey and football aas well...It is not a soccer only issue. Do you know anyone who cheer's or does gymnastics? They spend more than soccer families do!

Comment

Follow the money. Inflows in investments for soccer in the US vastly outweighs in terms of positive acceleration compared to other sports. Absolute value amounts are catching up as the monetization is still being sorted out and experimented with. It's only a matter of time for the gaps between youth involvement and millennial's spending to be bridged.

What will follow is a better organized partnership between the MLS and the tier 2 system which is already self supporting through a passionate fan base. As that strengthens and the median salary for professional players in the MLS rises (inevitable), it will bring along with it greater investments in the (dare I say it here), the college system, which is unique to the US and professional sports. It's all about the money and the infrastructure (not physical but economic) to support it.
      Good luck selling that business plan. "If you build it they will come" and "Just wait, soccer is the next big thing" are not winning strategies. The dawn of soccer in the US has been predicted for decades. Pele with the Cosmos was supposed to put soccer on the map here. Still waiting.

And give guys like Bob Kraft credit for one thing. They very rarely (if ever) make bad investments. I can see them building a soccer specific stadium somewhere but it will be coupled with a retail, residential, business complex. I.E. they are not going to bank solely on soccer.

Comment

Anyone know, will teams get GotSoccer points for placing in this tournament?

Comment

Anyone know, will teams get GotSoccer points for placing in this tournament?
          yes they will

Comment

And this is the same for hockey and football aas well...It is not a soccer only issue. Do you know anyone who cheer's or does gymnastics? They spend more than soccer families do!
            The problem with soccer (especially girls) is the false hope of Title 9 scholarship money. The people doing figure skating, cheer and gymnastics are not thinking college scholarship so they just spend the money (if you are poor, you don't play those sports).

Comment

Since GPS is keeping $50, rather giving a full refund, can we still get any gotsoccer points? Kudos to the business model! Cancel games for 170 teams and collect $50 each. Nice coin for doing nothing

Comment

Since GPS is keeping $50, rather giving a full refund, can we still get any gotsoccer points? Kudos to the business model! Cancel games for 170 teams and collect $50 each. Nice coin for doing nothing
                Yes, because we all know that little, magical, elves did all the planning, scheduling, and coordinating for this event while all the GPS officials sat in their barcaloungers smoking cigars and drinking scotch.

Doofus

Comment

Yes, because we all know that little, magical, elves did all the planning, scheduling, and coordinating for this event while all the GPS officials sat in their barcaloungers smoking cigars and drinking scotch.

Doofus
                  I was thinking the same thing. Full disclosure, I am a GPS parent, but the communication we received from the club throughout the entire weekend was tremendous. They were up against it with the weather, snow removal, and no power to the lights in Epping.

Honestly, I don't think a $50 admin fee is bad at all.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Full disclosure, I am a GPS parent, but the communication we received from the club throughout the entire weekend was tremendous. They were up against it with the weather, snow removal, and no power to the lights in Epping.

Honestly, I don't think a $50 admin fee is bad at all.
                    No offense, but since you are a GPS parent, you enjoy getting screwed by them. For the rest of us, it takes a little getting used to.

Comment

These idiots probably spent close to $50 in hot chocolate over the weekend and they are bitching about a $50 admin fee. Get a life.

Comment

These idiots probably spent close to $50 in hot chocolate over the weekend and they are bitching about a $50 admin fee. Get a life.
                        And I get many nice hot cups of steaming hot chocolate for my $50.
                        All I got for my $50 admin fee was a steaming pile of ....
                        You don't get rich by giving away admin fees.
                        Unforgivable...

Comment

And I get many nice hot cups of steaming hot chocolate for my $50.
                          All I got for my $50 admin fee was a steaming pile of ....
                          You don't get rich by giving away admin fees.
                          Unforgivable...
                          Just curious what the contract said when you signed up for the tournament? Anything? If there was anything in there about admin fee being kept if there were cancellations related to weather ... Then really you need to pipe down! (And no I'm not involved with GPS at all). You signed up for the tournament... You agreed to the conditions. Stay home next time. There can be snow in November, there can be rain in May (Memorial Day tournament, etc, etc). Read what you signed and deal with it. Is that so difficult?

Comment

The $50 a team barely covered the insurance deductable, on a 1 million rider. The deposit on all the fields is gone, and thats most likely well over $10,000. Oh! Don't forget about the $40,000 in shirts/jumpers they bought and paid for, and the admin costs still exist. Not a fan of JB, but he's not stupid, and very aware that the criticism here, is just a sample size within his own organization. The club that does it the way most on here,would like to see, would be filling bankruptcy on Monday!

Comment

The $50 a team barely covered the insurance deductable, on a 1 million rider. The deposit on all the fields is gone, and thats most likely well over $10,000. Oh! Don't forget about the $40,000 in shirts/jumpers they bought and paid for, and the admin costs still exist. Not a fan of JB, but he's not stupid, and very aware that the criticism here, is just a sample size within his own organization. The club that does it the way most on here,would like to see, would be filling bankruptcy on Monday!
                              Thanks GPS slave. You know they don't use the word jumper in the US, right? You guys are pathetic and you only get paid $250 per week. That's usually gone by the end of the weekend.

Comment

Thanks GPS slave. You know they don't use the word jumper in the US, right? You guys are pathetic and you only get paid $250 per week. That's usually gone by the end of the weekend.
                                You're not good at guessing! Take another guess?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X