Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAPLE - Must do better

Not too happy -D1 Boys U18, U17, U15 - D1 Girls U16 - all playing at Lancaster, all playing with one center ref and no AR's. Center Ref's had to work hard today on their own. Not acceptable for MAPLE to be so shorthanded. There actually were more games with only one ref, I only listed a few. Not looking to bash MAPLE but this was total rubbish by the league.

This situation is not unique to Lancaster today. Referees are being asked to do a lot. 5-6 games per day, being moved around to multiple locations and working alone or with one AR. Maybe if Maple went the way of cash payments like all the other leagues, more refs would accept those games. Just my opinion.

Comment

Read some of the replies in the Refs in Maple thread, obviously not getting the best and brightest in the league

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        This situation is not unique to Lancaster today. Referees are being asked to do a lot. 5-6 games per day, being moved around to multiple locations and working alone or with one AR. Maybe if Maple went the way of cash payments like all the other leagues, more refs would accept those games. Just my opinion.
        Nice. So we are looking for refs who want to be paid under the table and not pay taxes on their earnings?

Comment

Nice. So we are looking for refs who want to be paid under the table and not pay taxes on their earnings?
          Not true at all. Maple pays after the season ends. Sometimes weeks after. Are there some who do not (report), I'm sure there are. I'm able to deduct my mileage and expenses. The numbers have to add up. Not all of us are deadbeats.

Comment

How would you like it if your boss tells you I'll pay you 8-10 weeks after you start working but you still need to cover all your expense in the meantime. Even though all the league money to pay the refs was collected well in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenboot View Post
              Not too happy -D1 Boys U18, U17, U15 - D1 Girls U16 - all playing at Lancaster, all playing with one center ref and no AR's. Center Ref's had to work hard today on their own. Not acceptable for MAPLE to be so shorthanded. There actually were more games with only one ref, I only listed a few. Not looking to bash MAPLE but this was total rubbish by the league.
              Happened to the NEP games too. The older teams. U17 that I know of. Also, for one MAPLE game, no ref showed up. Waited for 20 minutes after start time for 1 to show and the teams had to volunteer for ARs. Every team paid a fee to play. We should have refs..........

Comment

Happened to the NEP games too. The older teams. U17 that I know of. Also, for one MAPLE game, no ref showed up. Waited for 20 minutes after start time for 1 to show and the teams had to volunteer for ARs. Every team paid a fee to play. We should have refs..........
                The referee who showed up 20 minutes late likely received a call 1 hour prior by a desperate assignor. Of course there are emergency situations that arise and stuff happens, which result in games being not accepted, or turned back the night prior to (or morning of) game day.

I know of certain venues that some referees will no longer work at. This is due to rude, obnoxious coaches and spectators who lack control over their behavior. So the next time you feel shortchanged by your ref crew (or lack there of), the problem could very well be you.

Comment

The referee who showed up 20 minutes late likely received a call 1 hour prior by a desperate assignor. Of course there are emergency situations that arise and stuff happens, which result in games being not accepted, or turned back the night prior to (or morning of) game day.

I know of certain venues that some referees will no longer work at. This is due to rude, obnoxious coaches and spectators who lack control over their behavior. So the next time you feel shortchanged by your ref crew (or lack there of), the problem could very well be you.
                  To be clear, I was not complaining about the quality of the ref. He did a fine job, in fact, considering he was alone, he was more than fine. It was unfair to him as well that no one else was on the sidelines to support him. Parents were quiet, coaches were quiet.

Comment

Like the OP this was directed to the lack there of coordination on both NEP's and MAPLE's abilities to schedule REFs at Lancaster fields when these games were set weeks ago. Nothing to do with the Refs so no need to get your hackles all up for nothing. This thread is about MAPLE needing to do a better job. If you feel so incline to defend the Refs, this is not the thread....... Try the other one.

This is about the fact that there were NO refs. And when one finally came, there were no ARs. MAPLE and NEP gladly took the teams registrations. They should do a better job with trying to schedule the Refs..........

Comment

Like the OP this was directed to the lack there of coordination on both NEP's and MAPLE's abilities to schedule REFs at Lancaster fields when these games were set weeks ago. Nothing to do with the Refs so no need to get your hackles all up for nothing. This thread is about MAPLE needing to do a better job. If you feel so incline to defend the Refs, this is not the thread....... Try the other one.

This is about the fact that there were NO refs. And when one finally came, there were no ARs. MAPLE and NEP gladly took the teams registrations. They should do a better job with trying to schedule the Refs..........
                      Leagues do not schedule Refs. Assignors do the scheduling on behalf of the leagues. The same assignors do the scheduling for Maple, NEP, R1, towns, etc... They know who is available in their assigning area and do so accordingly. I always accept whatever assignments I receive. Depending on the location, I could be working a multiple of games for varying leagues on any given day. The point is, it's not a League specific problem. There are now many leagues, hosting many clubs w/ many teams. There just aren't enough bodies available all the time. And there are reasons (as stated earlier) why someone would not want to accept games at a particular venue.

Comment

The problem is that refs are needed in Lancaster (and areas along Rte 2 to Acton), and the area's town league in many cases pays more $$ per game to refs who do their games so the refs who are working Maple/Nep like the higher caliber of the players in these leagues, are not familiar with NVYSL, want to help out w/ the shortages, or they want to ref more than 3 games per day (which could be due to a variety of reasons). This same problem extends to NEP and also to MASC. As said before, Sunday Spring NVYSL ref fees can be as high as $73 for the center or $43 for line assignments if they qualify for all NVYSL bonuses which is higher than NEP or MAPLE fees and if they work Saturdays for them they get a $10 bonus on those games as well if they work 10 Sunday games. I know some refs are driving a good 1 hour each way to help out with Lancaster, and I give them a high amount of credit for doing so.

Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come as usually May Sundays have the worst ref shortages due to family obligations, etc. In many cases, what you see in Lancaster is out of the ref's control and their lateness is due to them being moved around.

Comment

I love it when a town 8 v 8 game has one CR and two AR but the premier league games do not....

Comment

I love it when a town 8 v 8 game has one CR and two AR but the premier league games do not....
                            Yes, from my observations, I see that there would be quite a bit of support for ARs on 8v8 premier games. But there isn't just enough refs to do so out there as everyone from this thread observed. But I observe that everything within a 45 minute radius of Lancaster tends to gravitate to Lancaster with the new Acton HS fields as an alternative to Lancaster.

As a solution, I think that premier games should be played on Saturday, particularly at the u15 and above age groups. It'd be good for refs especially around Lancaster where the shortage is at its worst. Heck, there'd still be plenty of games in Lancaster on Sundays. Let the more experienced do Maple/NEP and earn the applicable rates and let the less develop their skills in town games and let everyone know well before the season starts so refs and teams can plan ahead. As a bonus, kids in these age groups can play at the town level if they wish to do so, and there's a considerable amount of them that do so.

Comment

Just want to clarify. Maple is not the Premier League.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X