Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Old 04-09-2010
Unregistered

Default Coaches and Parents

Just curious what type of relationship coaches should have with parents at the premier level? Should they have close friendships, such as hanging out at tournaments (more then team dinner)? Should they be facebook friends? Does this change thing when it comes to tryouts and Suzie maybe cut? How about the new parents on the team and their interpretation of the friendships? How is it with the elite teams? In the past the coaches seem to keep a little distance. I think it made a better team then the coach who tries to be friends and make everyone happy.
Old 04-09-2010
Unregistered

I am a town coach and I want the parents to get more involved. Most of them disappear after dropping off the kids. If the parents are not excited about soccer, hardly the kid will be passionate about soccer. And passion is what keeps the kids working on it.

I want the sidelines to be more noisy. Soccer is about fun, not sit tight and watch quietly. No arguments with ref calls though.
Old 04-09-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a town coach and I want the parents to get more involved. Most of them disappear after dropping off the kids. If the parents are not excited about soccer, hardly the kid will be passionate about soccer. And passion is what keeps the kids working on it.

I want the sidelines to be more noisy. Soccer is about fun, not sit tight and watch quietly. No arguments with ref calls though.
I agree town should be fun. But when they are U-16 above they don't want the parents at the practice. Coaches should be that tight with parents.
Old 04-09-2010
Unregistered

Default 6a8n62

Quote:
I agree town should be fun. But when they are U-16 above they don't want the parents at the practice. Coaches should be that tight with parents.
Sorry, I meant coaches should not be that tight with parents at a higher level.
Old 04-24-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, I meant coaches should not be that tight with parents at a higher level.
coaches should never be tight with the parents. your there to coach and not play favorites.your there to win games.winning games,winning tournaments,winning statecups brings players. bottom line. keep your distance and just coach and do whats best for the team.
Old 04-24-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
coaches should never be tight with the parents. your there to coach and not play favorites.your there to win games.winning games,winning tournaments,winning statecups brings players. bottom line. keep your distance and just coach and do whats best for the team.
That doesn't work for the coach who wants his beer paid for. It is not rite when the coach meets a parent on the team for drinks regularly even if their not away at a tournament. Big surprise that the kid plays a lot.
Old 04-24-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
That doesn't work for the coach who wants his beer paid for. It is not rite when the coach meets a parent on the team for drinks regularly even if their not away at a tournament. Big surprise that the kid plays a lot.
probably having an affair with her. a lot of that going on
Old 04-24-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
No it is not a mom. That is a whole other level that this team does not need.
Old 04-24-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
Coaches have favorite families and thats one thing. But to go over the top friendly with one or two and exclude the others is not right. Great for team chemistry- not!
Old 04-25-2010
Unregistered

Quote:
If Mom is hot, I'd hire her as my assistant coach. I would then call it a coaching relationship not an affair.