2013 Boys Soccer Verbal Commitments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see Mac Stevens playing his senior year for Needham High.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Not to mention you'd be crazy to put your kid's name out there on this forum as it's open season for criticism. My kid committed a few months ago and you won't see his name here if I can help it.
      But you can't.

Comment

From what I understand from my friends (this is all sports, not just soccer) the D1 "commitments" are very different from the D3's. Everything you have written above applies to D3. They are at the mercy of the admissions department even after they get a verbal, or even written, commitment from the coach. The D1's, on the other hand, are a written commitment, they are due now, the admissions office has already vetted the candidates, and the athletes are as good as admitted. So the D1 commitments can go public. The D3's need to wait until Dec. 15 when the D3 acceptances go out.
        I don't believe that the distinction you suggest is accurate. First, NCAA rules (rule 13.9.2.2) clearly prohibit a signed agreement before national letter of intent signing periods (which for soccer are in February and August of 2013). After Aug. 1 of the senior year, a written offer may be made, but the student cannot sign it until the time for signing letters of intent, although verbal acceptance is allowed. So with this in mind, I don't see how any D1 commit can be written at this time.

Second, uncertainty from the admissions office exists for both D1 and D3, but it varies from institution to institution. Both D1 and D3 coaches have to work with admissions offices. The coaches take transcripts and SAT scores (and in some cases complete or near-complete applications) to admissions offices who tell the coach what's likely to happen if the recruit applies. Obviously, admissions is probably going to follow the coach's recommendation, and in some cases (especially football and basketball) admissions may be no more than a rubber stamp. However, as a school gets more and more selective, the more likely admissions is to refuse even if the player is strong. Grades and scores do matter, and there's a limit to how much every admissions office will bend its usual standards. Because of this, most soccer coaches work closely with admissions so as not to "waste" support on someone who won't get in. Nevertheless, surprises sometimes occur.

The biggest difference between D1 and D3 is the offering of scholarships in D1. The National Letter of Intent process governs that agreement, so a D1 commit getting a scholarship ultimately goes through two steps before being "all set." There's formal admission/enrollment/non-athletic financial aid to the university (technically within discretion of admissions) and the signing of a letter of intent a formality). A D3 player only has admission/enrollment/non-athletic financial aid. Regardless, at this time it's highly unlikely any player's deal is completely final, and we should regard all of these lists with a bit of caution.

Comment

D3 commitments? I am dying to find out who is going to Babson or Trinity. :)
          Since most of the college playing Mass HS/Club/DAP soccer players will be playing D3, then attending 4 years at either Babson or trinity and playing D3 soccer sounds pretty good.

Comment

D3 commitments? I am dying to find out who is going to Babson or Trinity. :)
            why those two schools in particular when there are so many?

Comment

why those two schools in particular when there are so many?
              I think the guy is being sarcastic.

Comment

When will Curry College, Springfield College, Westfield State, North Adams and Castleton State announce their recruitment class. Is that better? Geez........

Comment

When will Curry College, Springfield College, Westfield State, North Adams and Castleton State announce their recruitment class. Is that better? Geez........
                  So sarcasm it is. That's fair, as long as you understand hardly anyone except the families care about the D1 commits either.

Comment

So sarcasm it is. That's fair, as long as you understand hardly anyone except the families care about the D1 commits either.
                    OP here. Don't let the trolls dominate the thread. Please don't reply.

Comment

Had to go back 3 pages deep into the site to dig this up.

Slow year? Where are all the highly promoted/touted D1 commits for 2013?

Comment

Had to go back 3 pages deep into the site to dig this up.

Slow year? Where are all the highly promoted/touted D1 commits for 2013?
                        Op here. The prime website to find names has been ESPN Rise, which no longer provides this. There are half a dozen other ways, including a new one, but they aren't as good. Often people put the names up here, but so far that hasn't happened. Their choice. I'll keep searching.

Comment

An Huynh-Bolts-Andover-Adelphi
                          Nate Pomeroy-Bolts-Groton Dunstable HS-Brown
                          Sebastian Blickman-Lincoln-Bucknell
                          Jett Oristaglio-FC Blazers-Nobles&Green-Dartmouth
                          Sam Millbury-Seacoast-Brooks-Lafayette
                          Harrison Balder-Bolts-Thayer Academy-Northeastern
                          Matthew Callahan-Bolts-Newton North-Northeastern
                          Marc Greenblatt-Bolts-Winchester-Northeastern
                          Dominik Machado-Revs-Prov College
                          Mac Steeves-Bolts-Needham HS-Prov College
                          Chip Sherman-Aztecs-Masconomet HS-Siena
                          Mark Richards-Oakwood-Williston Northampton-UCONN
                          Bernard Yeboah-NE Eagles-Worc Academy-Vermont*

Comment

An Huynh-Bolts-Andover-Adelphi
                            Nate Pomeroy-Bolts-Groton Dunstable HS-Brown
                            Sebastian Blickman-Lincoln-Bucknell
                            Jett Oristaglio-FC Blazers-Nobles&Green-Dartmouth
                            Sam Millbury-Seacoast-Brooks-Lafayette
                            Harrison Balder-Bolts-Thayer Academy-Northeastern
                            Matthew Callahan-Bolts-Newton North-Northeastern
                            Marc Greenblatt-Bolts-Winchester-Northeastern
                            Dominik Machado-Revs-Prov College
                            Mac Steeves-Bolts-Needham HS-Prov College
                            Chip Sherman-Aztecs-Masconomet HS-Siena
                            Mark Richards-Oakwood-Williston Northampton-UCONN
                            Bernard Yeboah-NE Eagles-Worc Academy-Vermont
                            David Itoafa-MPS-NJIT*

Comment

Is it true that center mid from WA and plays for EK committed to BC?

Comment

Is it true that center mid from WA and plays for EK committed to BC?
                                Currently I can't find any 2013 commits for BC on the four sites I access. I'm sure EK has some already; not sure why they are not available.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X