Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do soccer clubs intentionally schedule games and/or tournaments to ensure their kids wont be able to tryout for other teams? Are the dates for tryouts strategically selected?
    Of course they do but that doesn't matter a lot of people don't realize that the actual final registration date is July 31 people get scared and sign up too early explore all options and chose what's best for you and your family. That's the best advice I can give you.

Comment

Of course they do but that doesn't matter a lot of people don't realize that the actual final registration date is July 31 people get scared and sign up too early explore all options and chose what's best for you and your family. That's the best advice I can give you.
      That is great information, thank you.

Comment

This is true depending on the coach

That is absolutely not true. My daughter tried out at WFF, made the ECNL team, and was welcomed back when she declined her spot. She is not the only one. Coaches for both clubs were understanding and great to communicate with during that time.

We are fortunate to have two excellent girls programs in our community, and that girls have a choice as to what program feels right at any given time. Both clubs provide excellent opportunities to the girls on their top teams as well. Bay area players are lucky to have options.
        It depends on the coach. Some coaches at TBU have the best interest at heart for children. Other coaches are self centered and care for themselves only. My family was told by a TBU coach that player x would not be accepted back their TBU team if we went to another team. This really makes a bad experience making it easier not to look back. If you are one of these coaches shame on you.

Comment

Respectfully, the poster did not refer to one personal experience, but to the club as a whole. This is why I responded. Each player and parent experience will be different, and each is valid, but you should not call a whole club out for it unless it is widespread.

Certainly each coach has their own reaction when a player tries out for another team, and some will handle it more professionally than others.
          I love how you take the word "respectfully" and use it as sarcasm, nice character. As for the whole club, the board members, DOC, and all their coaches represent the "club". If one is abusive and tolerated where does it stop? It doesn't! It just leads to more problems. The whole club is responsible for the social environment. The only issue you have isn't didn't happen to you and your child.

Comment

What are your experiences when trying out for 2 competitive clubs? Has anyone received backlash from their home club?
            We did. We had an abusive coach and 5 girls decided to go to a competing club. The coach who was also the DOC and the executive director were bold enough to call the new club blasting them for recruiting players. They also sent those who left accusatory emails and hung up on one of the families. The entire team that stayed used twitter to cyberattack the girls that left.

This behavior validated our decision to leave in the first place.

Do what is right for your family. Clubs do not show the level of dedication to you that they expect from you. Remember you are the one paying for the service.

Comment

My son switched clubs a few years back and his original coach was awesome. he said coaches leave clubs all the time and players too. You must do what you think is best for you

Comment

Do not worry tryout any where you want. You never know when or why a club will turn on you and not invite you back. Had that happen to my son 3 year starter on Top 10 team in FL.

No invite back did not tryout anywhere else. No reason given by coach just we are going in different direction. Son is known in area so finding team was not an issue but I will never let it happen again.

Biggest issue is if you did not want my son back you knew on the first day of tryouts. Why not let him know. I guess the mantra it is about the players is just a bunch of Bull.

Have good friends still at the club so I will eventually find out the true story why he was not invited back. Probably politics of club and me holding them to what they say they are going to do and put in writing in the player contract. I guess a holding someone accountable and asking questions is a problem.

I am the customer making a decision on where to spend 10k on a soccer season. I would expect you to be accountable.

So tryout wherever you want and be open about it.
                Do you feel this more about you and not your son?

Comment

I know a u13 girl who is basically not wanted just because the dad is a head case. Parents need to realize, coaches and clubs do make decisions on kids based on parent behavior. the reality is if your cost benefit the other way. Is the kid that good to put up with the garbage brought by on by the parent. I actually think its fair as there are some parents that cause too much drama and makes it hard to enjoy the game.

Comment

That is a tough question. As one of the team mangers. I do not cause drama at games. I just watch them play, no yelling at the ref or the players. I always thank the coach and refs after the game for a good job win or loose. I have questioned the ED and the Coach about training and cost and required tournaments we were to play in. Some that were not at level of team. Tournaments that we would not earn GS points for. Making sure the team did not have to pay an extra training fees to the coach if we did not train more the 2 contractual training days.

Regardless of the reasons why my son was not invited back. I believe it was known prior to tryouts. That makes it personal. In today's litigious world I could probably file a some kind of tort calm but that would be to hard to prove and a waste of time.

That is why I now advocate for going to as many tryouts as possible. Have moved on and wish the best for the old team.

I hope they win it all. Remember the comment Herb Brooks dad said after Herb was cut from the 1960 USA gold medal hockey team. " I guess they cut the right player"

Comment

Respectfully Posted

I know a u13 girl who is basically not wanted just because the dad is a head case. Parents need to realize, coaches and clubs do make decisions on kids based on parent behavior. the reality is if your cost benefit the other way. Is the kid that good to put up with the garbage brought by on by the parent. I actually think its fair as there are some parents that cause too much drama and makes it hard to enjoy the game.
                      It makes it hard to enjoy the game when the coach is not well educated and struggles to develop players. Knowledge is the understanding of a science or art. Knowledge means that you have acquired information and that you understand people and the game of soccer. Your knowledge should be broad. Listen, observe, and find out about things you don't understand.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when the coach does not have a positive influence over players and parents. Tact means that you can deal with people in a manner that will maintain good relations and avoid problems.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when a coach allows players and parents to treat others poorly without consequence or action.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach cuts players from teams for reasons other than soccer. Integrity means that you are honest and truthful in what you say or do. You put honesty, sense of duty, and sound moral principles above all else. Do not forget why you are a coach.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach uses prejudgement for people and allows these prejudices to influence his or her decisions. Practice being positive in your actions instead of acting half-heartedly or changing your mind on an issue.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach lacks moral courage. Moral courage means having the inner strength to stand up for what is right and to accept blame when something is your fault.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when its about the coach and not the players. Unselfishness means that you avoid making yourself comfortable at the expense of others. Be considerate of others. Give credit to those who deserve it.

The reality is not the cost benefit and you can keep telling yourself this. The reality is if the coaching is lacking its time to move on. For me as a parent I want the best environment for my child and I will not settle for anything less. Yes, clubs and coaches may make decisions based on parents which is wrong. As a parent you should not worry about this and frankly it does not matter. Loyalty should be for your child and as a parent that is where my loyalty is. Loyalty is also something that is earned by a club or coach where many fail to understand this. Remember this, parents pay club and coach bills. I do not wish for this but when there are not any parents left to pay bills there is no need for a coach or club.

I hope one day that this poster can open his/her eyes to really see what is important. When you can remove politics, race, religion, economic status, and gender as a coach or club you will have a great team that will follow you. This team is called Humanity FC. The selling of soccer as only business and winning has to change. Best of luck to you.

Comment

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when the coach is not well educated and struggles to develop players. Knowledge is the understanding of a science or art. Knowledge means that you have acquired information and that you understand people and the game of soccer. Your knowledge should be broad. Listen, observe, and find out about things you don't understand.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when the coach does not have a positive influence over players and parents. Tact means that you can deal with people in a manner that will maintain good relations and avoid problems.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when a coach allows players and parents to treat others poorly without consequence or action.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach cuts players from teams for reasons other than soccer. Integrity means that you are honest and truthful in what you say or do. You put honesty, sense of duty, and sound moral principles above all else. Do not forget why you are a coach.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach uses prejudgement for people and allows these prejudices to influence his or her decisions. Practice being positive in your actions instead of acting half-heartedly or changing your mind on an issue.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when your coach lacks moral courage. Moral courage means having the inner strength to stand up for what is right and to accept blame when something is your fault.

It makes it hard to enjoy the game when its about the coach and not the players. Unselfishness means that you avoid making yourself comfortable at the expense of others. Be considerate of others. Give credit to those who deserve it.

The reality is not the cost benefit and you can keep telling yourself this. The reality is if the coaching is lacking its time to move on. For me as a parent I want the best environment for my child and I will not settle for anything less. Yes, clubs and coaches may make decisions based on parents which is wrong. As a parent you should not worry about this and frankly it does not matter. Loyalty should be for your child and as a parent that is where my loyalty is. Loyalty is also something that is earned by a club or coach where many fail to understand this. Remember this, parents pay club and coach bills. I do not wish for this but when there are not any parents left to pay bills there is no need for a coach or club.

I hope one day that this poster can open his/her eyes to really see what is important. When you can remove politics, race, religion, economic status, and gender as a coach or club you will have a great team that will follow you. This team is called Humanity FC. The selling of soccer as only business and winning has to change. Best of luck to you.
                        Thanks for sharing. We are all human and make mistakes. There is a continuous learning curve and ups and downs for players, parents as well as the coaches. Parents and coaches, keep striving to do what is best for the players because that is what this business is about!

Comment

Glad To Share

Thanks for sharing. We are all human and make mistakes. There is a continuous learning curve and ups and downs for players, parents as well as the coaches. Parents and coaches, keep striving to do what is best for the players because that is what this business is about!
                          Glad to share my family's poor experience in a positive manor.

Comment

You stay with a club if the team is good for your kid. If the team turns sour then you are teaching your child to be a fool to others abuse.
                            1. When they get older you want them to know they can move from job to job based upon opportunity.
                            2.You do not want them in the mindset to take sh%t for it is being loyal.
                            3.You do not want them to think it is ok to be held back while others advance who are less then them.
                            4.You want them to know that if they are not treated right then go where they will be.

Great teams with normal parents stay together for years. Clubs that let a click of parents run a team fall apart.

Comment

What are your experiences when trying out for 2 competitive clubs? Has anyone received backlash from their home club?
                              No one owes you anything. Do what you need to do for the betterment of your kid.

Comment

You stay with a club if the team is good for your kid. If the team turns sour then you are teaching your child to be a fool to others abuse.
                                1. When they get older you want them to know they can move from job to job based upon opportunity.
                                2.You do not want them in the mindset to take sh%t for it is being loyal.
                                3.You do not want them to think it is ok to be held back while others advance who are less then them.
                                4.You want them to know that if they are not treated right then go where they will be.

Great teams with normal parents stay together for years. Clubs that let a click of parents run a team fall apart.
                                They do not stay together because of the parents. It really is about having a fair coach who can develop the players/team (and parents- lol!) and that means making hard calls of bringing in new players and parents too. It also means players have to leave for a better team to suit needs. I do know any good coach would also expect the best coach and situation for his/her own child. When making decisions, coaches might consider what if this was his/her child or child's team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X