Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, I guess you are part of the reason rudeness is rampant in this country. Kindness is in such short supply these days that some of us still feel the need to show a little in our daily lives. Try it and see how it feels.

- Cujo
    Wow, OK. I mean, I think I'm a pretty honorable guy. Work hard at my job, raise a solid and respectful family. Will ensure everyone minds their "P's and Q's". We give to charities, both financial and with our own time.

I look at it as a difference of opinion, that I don't foresee thanking a ref for his part of an activity. They get my respect.

But, I guess while I am new to TS, I am still getting up to speed on the personal attacks. Give me some time, and I'll work on my 'tude and hopefully will be acting holier than thou like many others. Bear with me while I work on this transformation.

Comment

Wow, OK. I mean, I think I'm a pretty honorable guy. Work hard at my job, raise a solid and respectful family. Will ensure everyone minds their "P's and Q's". We give to charities, both financial and with our own time.

I look at it as a difference of opinion, that I don't foresee thanking a ref for his part of an activity. They get my respect.

But, I guess while I am new to TS, I am still getting up to speed on the personal attacks. Give me some time, and I'll work on my 'tude and hopefully will be acting holier than thou like many others. Bear with me while I work on this transformation.
      No need to work on your 'tude' as it fits right in on t/s.
      Why thank someone for putting up with all the bs, whether they are right or wrong?
      Guess you don't thank your waiters or servers at dd either.
      Give thanks to God?

Comment

No need to work on your 'tude' as it fits right in on t/s.
        Why thank someone for putting up with all the bs, whether they are right or wrong?
        Guess you don't thank your waiters or servers at dd either.
        Give thanks to God?
        No, I haven't seen the need before. I'll give it some thought. Again, you can ask any ref and they'll to you from either playing, or coaching, I'm respectful and my teams play that way. I get along great with them, so it's all good.

I don't go to dd often, but as for other restaurants/customer service-oriented institutions, they will get my thanks.

I'm not religious, so no, I don't give thanks to God.

Comment

Well, I guess you are part of the reason rudeness is rampant in this country. Kindness is in such short supply these days that some of us still feel the need to show a little in our daily lives. Try it and see how it feels.

- Cujo
          Isn't the mandatory referee handshake enough? Do you want a hug and some flowers? Pretty sure you get paid for this. That would define it as a job. If you were volunteering it would be a different matter.

Comment

No, I haven't seen the need before. I'll give it some thought. Again, you can ask any ref and they'll to you from either playing, or coaching, I'm respectful and my teams play that way. I get along great with them, so it's all good.

I don't go to dd often, but as for other restaurants/customer service-oriented institutions, they will get my thanks.

I'm not religious, so no, I don't give thanks to God.
            Try it and see how it feels and see how it impacts your team. I am not attacking but I do think that it makes for a more civil ending to a game. I always try to be positive with the losing team by pointing out that they are improving or that they finished well. I didn't really think it had much of an impact until a 12 year old player gave me a letter at the end of the season telling me how much my positive encouragement at the end of the game helped her and her team after losing every game during a season. You may not realize it but your young players are watching every move you make and thing you say. Adult behavior matters in the long run.

- Cujo

Comment

Try it and see how it feels and see how it impacts your team. I am not attacking but I do think that it makes for a more civil ending to a game. I always try to be positive with the losing team by pointing out that they are improving or that they finished well. I didn't really think it had much of an impact until a 12 year old player gave me a letter at the end of the season telling me how much my positive encouragement at the end of the game helped her and her team after losing every game during a season. You may not realize it but your young players are watching every move you make and thing you say. Adult behavior matters in the long run.

- Cujo

Yes, you are attacking. Pointing to not saying "thank you" vs. "nice job Donnie" as all that is wrong with the world.

The more you try to pressure for a thank you, the less likely it will come. My teams don't have problems with referees, and that's because they have our respect in how we carry ourselves, how we play, and how we interact before, during, and after the games toward them. We just don't use those two magic words that you carry so close to your heart.

(Hey, I'm getting the hang of this!)

Comment

Yes, you are attacking. Pointing to not saying "thank you" vs. "nice job Donnie" as all that is wrong with the world.

The more you try to pressure for a thank you, the less likely it will come. My teams don't have problems with referees, and that's because they have our respect in how we carry ourselves, how we play, and how we interact before, during, and after the games toward them. We just don't use those two magic words that you carry so close to your heart.

(Hey, I'm getting the hang of this!)
                2 magic words that are so easy to say and carry a great deal of weight.
                No Thanksgiving at your home, I guess.

Comment

2 magic words that are so easy to say and carry a great deal of weight.
                  No Thanksgiving at your home, I guess.
                  I am thinking of 2 magic words that are also easy to say and carry a great deal of weight....

If you are looking for any more proof about the mindset of the average soccer ref you need to look no further. From their rants on the LOTG, their incessant focus on terminology such as "handling" vs. "hand ball", their sworn oath to NEVER criticize a fellow ref and now a requirement that they be thanked profusely at every turn for gracing the beautiful game with their presence.

There is no room for criticism (zero tolerance) but praise and thanks is demanded whether deserved or not. And despite all of that, they complain about how they are mistreated. And let's not forget they get paid. No one is mandating that they are referees. It is a choice.

What a bunch of divas.

Comment

My best advice, from someone who has complained alot, is to let it go. Some refs just don't want to call the game. They get lazy, they stop calling things, think they are letting game get natural flow. When parents start complaining they seem to get worse,

Kids that adapt to this style of play do well. Ones that don't will struggle.

But there ain't one thing you can do about it, so let the game be played is the way I see it. Appreciate the good officiating when it comes your way but don't expect it.

This is the state of Youth Soccer.

Comment

My best advice, from someone who has complained alot, is to let it go. Some refs just don't want to call the game. They get lazy, they stop calling things, think they are letting game get natural flow. When parents start complaining they seem to get worse,

Kids that adapt to this style of play do well. Ones that don't will struggle.

But there ain't one thing you can do about it, so let the game be played is the way I see it. Appreciate the good officiating when it comes your way but don't expect it.

This is the state of Youth Soccer.
                      You are a tool. You talk about flow like it is some kind of aberrant decision by the official. You act as if making a call requires some kind of remarkable effort. Your accusations do not match any referee that I know. The LOTG and the ATR dictate how an official approaches the game. You think that a game should be called according to some rigid strategy by the official. Good luck to you if you are an official and you think that is going to work. Every game is different and if you do not adjust to a myriad of factors when you are in the middle you will fail. I have done well over a thousand games. Nothing in your post matches the reality of my experience. Here is the deal. Sitting on the sidelines and watching the game qualifies you for one thing. And that is sitting on the sidelines watching the game. What you see as incompetence is really nothing more than ignorance on the part of the observer.

Cujo

Comment

I am thinking of 2 magic words that are also easy to say and carry a great deal of weight....

If you are looking for any more proof about the mindset of the average soccer ref you need to look no further. From their rants on the LOTG, their incessant focus on terminology such as "handling" vs. "hand ball", their sworn oath to NEVER criticize a fellow ref and now a requirement that they be thanked profusely at every turn for gracing the beautiful game with their presence.

There is no room for criticism (zero tolerance) but praise and thanks is demanded whether deserved or not. And despite all of that, they complain about how they are mistreated. And let's not forget they get paid. No one is mandating that they are referees. It is a choice.

What a bunch of divas.
                        Who said we were looking for a damned compliment. The words thank you are a part of civil discourse. If you cannot grasp that simple concept I hope to God you don't procreate.

Cujo

PS personally I don't care what you call it. What drives me nuts are the people who think that it is a HANDBALL every time the ball makes contact with a hand/

Comment

What a bunch of divas.
                          You will miss me when I'm gone...average or not.
                          Let me know how it works when the divas have all gone home-because you won't say thanks.
                          Btw, your first line is pretty funny.

Comment

Someone needs a hug

Comment

You will miss me when I'm gone...average or not.
                              Let me know how it works when the divas have all gone home-because you won't say thanks.
                              Btw, your first line is pretty funny.
                              That is a very diva like response. I have some news for you, soccer will survive without you and will likely improve when you are replaced by someone who wants to be there. Referees are barely noticed when they are excellent. They are secondary to the players.

Comment

Who said we were looking for a damned compliment. The words thank you are a part of civil discourse. If you cannot grasp that simple concept I hope to God you don't procreate.

Cujo

PS personally I don't care what you call it. What drives me nuts are the people who think that it is a HANDBALL every time the ball makes contact with a hand/
                                Cujo lecturing on civility, now that is funny. Should a ref be thanked for doing a terrible job? Are we forced to thank people for just showing up? I tend to reserve thanks for when I really appreciate a service or extra effort, otherwise it has no weight and is meaningless.

It is a very positive sign that miserable refs like Cujo are stepping down. It will make way for others with a better attitude.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X