Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPL and College Recruiting

I realize this will likely turn into an NEFC, Breakers and Stars bash fest but I will attempt to sort through the rubbish to find actual knowledge. Past experiences would help. With the age group change there will be ECNL players moving to NPL teams. How likely is it that the starting NPL line up will play post high school? My kid mentions small private d-2 and d-3 schools as possible choices but could change her mind.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I realize this will likely turn into an NEFC, Breakers and Stars bash fest but I will attempt to sort through the rubbish to find actual knowledge. Past experiences would help. With the age group change there will be ECNL players moving to NPL teams. How likely is it that the starting NPL line up will play post high school? My kid mentions small private d-2 and d-3 schools as possible choices but could change her mind.
    Luckily for you, your kid is committed to Duke. Congrats to her.

Comment

Not BTDT. I knew the accusation was coming. Of the trillion pages of fighting that will ensue hopefully one parent knows what has happened with college interested NPL players at their club. I know a few from our club are playing this year. But I don't know if the 3 I know of are it or if it's more like 8-10.

Comment

Not BTDT. I knew the accusation was coming. Of the trillion pages of fighting that will ensue hopefully one parent knows what has happened with college interested NPL players at their club. I know a few from our club are playing this year. But I don't know if the 3 I know of are it or if it's more like 8-10.
        And why did you know the accusation was coming, BTNT? They should all be fine. Maybe you heard, these kids don't even need club at all to play D3, so since they are playing club they no doubt will be All-Americans.

Comment

I think the NPL will be doing the exact same age changes as the ECNL

Comment

NPL teams have good records of placing players in D1 and D2 school as much as ECNL. Is you compare the big three Stars, Breakers and NEFC, the numbers of players playing in D1 and D2 is pretty even. Go where your child is more comfortable with.

Comment

I think the NPL will be doing the exact same age changes as the ECNL
              Some NPL leagues are already birth year. Most likely the rest will join for fall 2016

Comment

Why are you assuming they would leave ECNL for NPL because of the age change?

Comment

lol I think some parents are hoping ECNL opportunities will be created for their kids with the change. Ain't gonna happen. ECNL clubs will have no problem filling rosters with quality age appropriate players.

Comment

My guess would be the player is a Aug-Dec kid and may not be one of the stronger players after the age adjustment.

Perhaps, playing time is an issue, there are lots of reasonable reasons a kid could go from ECNL to NPL.

If the kid is a bubble player then the college options are likely the same regardless of the league. AND if playing time is an issue then perhaps more playing time in NPL would actually improve college recruitment.

Comment

I've written this many times which is part of the reason why I get attacked by others on this topic so often. It threatens their beliefs. Sorry for what will undoubtedly follow.

The league your child plays in really doesn't mean much at all when it comes to recruiting, what actually matters is the level of your child's talent. Playing the recruiting game is more a marketing project than anything. If you know what your kid is as a player and they have an idea of where they want to go to school, playing the game is heck of a lot easier than it is made out to be. There are only so many places where the dots line up and if you can figure that out you just go right to them. As Bill Belichick once said, players are what they are. Parents should really reject any sort idea that any league will somehow change were their player is destined to play. If a player is a potential lower tier D1 prospect then that is what they are and no league affiliation is going to change that fact and suddenly make them a high D1 prospect.

The tough part in all of this has always been accurately assessing your child's potential. Unfortunately, now that the environment is so watered down and the talent spreads on teams is so wide you really can't make any assumptions about ability based upon the leagues they play in or the teams they play for. That makes it tougher to do this than it has ever been. The chief ingredient is objectivity. Unfortunately that also is in short supply in club soccer these days.

If you are looking for labels that will impact how a player is perceived by college coaches I think what matters most now is more their resume and the bullet points they accumulate on it. It's really no different than getting a job in that while the different companies you worked for is important, it is really the record of accomplishments you accumulate while in that job that really draws the interest.

Comment

Still here pontificating. Suzie?

Comment

I definitely think the ECNL rosters will open up this year for Jan-July kids from outside. They are heavily laden with Aug-Dec kids now. But on most rosters, several of those are average or below players. At tryouts a Jan-July kid has been essentially playing up compared to most Aug- Dec kids and may have enjoyed advanced development. I think many will compete well for the spots and the ECNL coaches will be very open to assessing and potentially incorporating the new talent. Kids will be more willing to switch teams at this time because of the fact that their older team will likely be disrupted anyway and there is a natural break in the process. I think that many Jan-July kids and fewer but still some olders will try their luck at ECNL. I predict a big shake up all around

Comment

I respect what you have to say, but I disagree on this one. NEFC is not a typical NPL club. It is truly outstanding and for that they are unusual. The ECNL has provided many kids immediate exposure. I have seen kids at the end of u15 not get a look at events with their NPL team, but after tryouts and being invited to Seattle, they are on the radar of many top power 5 programs. That tells me that the league was important. Same kid, different team spread only a month in time and now interesting to coaches.

Comment

Oh and you will find this of interest, one was a GK.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X