2016 Boys Soccer Verbal Commitments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does a D3 verbal commitment mean at this point in time?

Comment

What does an Ivy verbal commitment mean at this point in time?

Comment

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. There is a lot of information(?) being spread on other threads regarding recruiting. So, I thought it would make sense to ask some people who are going through it now for some information. Thanks in advance.

Comment

All verbal commits at this stage are by definition not binding. In my experience nearly all of these play out so the kid goes to the school and makes the team. What happens after that is another matter. Key for the verbal commit is the kid agrees to stop looking around and other coaches find out and stop pursuing you. Neither Ivy nor D3 have any athletic $$, so they are not like the NLI most D1 kids get in Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. There is a lot of information(?) being spread on other threads regarding recruiting. So, I thought it would make sense to ask some people who are going through it now for some information. Thanks in advance.
            Plenty of disappointing stories of verbal commits to D3. You only committed when you receive your letter of acceptance from admissions. And then of course you have to show that you deserve to be on the team during pre season.

Comment

Plenty of disappointing stories of verbal commits to D3. You only committed when you receive your letter of acceptance from admissions. And then of course you have to show that you deserve to be on the team during pre season.
              Really? If so, those coach's reputations are at stake. Can you name the coaches?
              On average when did these verbal commitments get reneged? Hopefully it was within a week or two to give the player a chance to start anew.

Comment

Really? If so, those coach's reputations are at stake. Can you name the coaches?
                On average when did these verbal commitments get reneged? Hopefully it was within a week or two to give the player a chance to start anew.
                "So sorry. You must have misunderstood what I said. Yes, I would love to have you on the team, but that was assuming you can get admitted. Yes, I told you I would tell admissions that you could help the team, but that does not mean I intended to use one of my tips or protects to get you admitted."

"Yes, I said I would support your application with admissions, but that was based on you agreeing to apply early decision. When I heard you visited XYZ College last week, I gave your slot to someone else. I never promised to hold it for you."

"Sorry, just heard from admissions after its pre-read of your application. My support is not enough to get you admitted."

"Sorry, that B- in calculus messed up your application. I said you had to keep up your grades."

"Sorry, you never told me about that incident from freshman year........"

But the real reason: Mia the stud just slipped down from Ivy so she has my full support.

Comment

You sound naive. It is not just D3 but has happened in D1 and D2. The problem with the timing is that many of the students are encouraged to apply ED as it shows the coach your interest and it is also allows administrative manipulation on the part of the school to accommodate athletes especially those with lower academic rank. The question is whether you miss an opportunity at another school by not applying ED there.
                  I am not sure why D3 coaches can't make the same commitment for their athletes as D1 coaches do. The only difference is the money. That said, I still don't see why D3 schools can't give athletic money as well. Assuming that they are basing admissions of the desires of the coach and an administrative assessment that the student will survive academically at that school, why not facilitate the students acceptance with money?

Comment

Not always easy to determine fact from fiction on TS so tread carefully. Seek information elsewhere. There are many resources out there

http://www.d1soccerrecruiting.com/a-...iting-efforts/
                    http://www.backofthenet.com/62rd/ubb...s/54/1/College
                    D3 Recruiting Hub: http://d3recruitinghub.com/
                    Tier One Athletics: http://www.tier1athletics.org/blug/
                    D3 Sports On Recruiting: http://www.d3sports.com/columns/on-recruiting/index
                    Division III Women's Soccer Recruiting Questions: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...questions.html
                    DIVISION III RECRUITING - QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE: http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/nadiiia..._rec_guide.pdf
                    http://www.backofthenet.com/62rd/ubb...s/54/1/College

Comment

You sound naive. It is not just D3 but has happened in D1 and D2. The problem with the timing is that many of the students are encouraged to apply ED as it shows the coach your interest and it is also allows administrative manipulation on the part of the school to accommodate athletes especially those with lower academic rank. The question is whether you miss an opportunity at another school by not applying ED there.
                      I am not sure why D3 coaches can't make the same commitment for their athletes as D1 coaches do. The only difference is the money. That said, I still don't see why D3 schools can't give athletic money as well. Assuming that they are basing admissions of the desires of the coach and an administrative assessment that the student will survive academically at that school, why not facilitate the students acceptance with money?
                      Who is naïve? D3 schools are about academics over athletics. The admissions office doesn't care about what a coach wants, especially for lowly soccer. Offering $ for athletics cost significant $ and those schools have decided to direct their resources elsewhere. Having an athletic program attracts good students and garners some alumni donations, but if will never generate significant revenue like the big D1 programs can with big sports (football and bball).

That said, if an athlete has strong academics for the school he/she can receive an even better sum of merit money, which is guaranteed for four years as long as a minimum GPA is maintained. That is true of any level school and is the kind of $ you want.

Comment

Read this and similar threads about the realities of playing in college. Many aren't playing by junior year. Doesn't happen to everyone but it's important that if you want to pursue college athletics you have realistic expectations.

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=94587

Comment

For a family that has an income of around $200,000 you also have to factor the financial aid vs merit aid factor. NESCAC schools no merit aid. Probably get around $15K max in aid if you have another kid in college. Slightly less academically challenging with a 1950 - 2000 SAT get around $25,000 in Merit. Our kid had three D3 "offers" from coaches and he chose none as ED. He wanted to see what was the best financial package for himself. Soon as he informed coaches he would apply early action vs ED coach communication ended. Fine with us as we also feel that college should be chosen for many other reason that playing soccer. If he chooses one of the three that "offered" I'm sure that the coach would be happy to hear back from him. Unless the player really wants to be a the school and the family knows they can afford it our thinking is avoid ED.

Comment

For a family that has an income of around $200,000 you also have to factor the financial aid vs merit aid factor. NESCAC schools no merit aid. Probably get around $15K max in aid if you have another kid in college. Slightly less academically challenging with a 1950 - 2000 SAT get around $25,000 in Merit. Our kid had three D3 "offers" from coaches and he chose none as ED. He wanted to see what was the best financial package for himself. Soon as he informed coaches he would apply early action vs ED coach communication ended. Fine with us as we also feel that college should be chosen for many other reason that playing soccer. If he chooses one of the three that "offered" I'm sure that the coach would be happy to hear back from him. Unless the player really wants to be a the school and the family knows they can afford it our thinking is avoid ED.
                            I think it's safe to say for an average family the total financial package is very important but probably less so for the average soccer family. Schools can provide an estimate of what a family might be able to receive for financial aid ahead of time. It isn't written in stone until spring but it can give you a ballpark to see if it's remotely workable. But yes for many ED applicants money isn't an issue.

Comment

Wondering how risky that is? Will coaches give "offers" to others even when you explain you need the financial piece? Why wouldn't EA be good enough?

Mine is a junior now and is talking, visiting, etc.- mostly d3, two lower level d1s with good academics. Maybe come next fall he'll feel more certain of one school over all others but right now now way I'd want him applying ED - he likes all of them lol. Money is a BIG issue for us as well. The decision will be a combo of academic fit, soccer fit and finances. But it sounds like we'll have to wait until spring senior year like everyone else to make a call and hope that there's still a soccer spot?

Comment

Wondering how risky that is? Will coaches give "offers" to others even when you explain you need the financial piece? Why wouldn't EA be good enough?

Mine is a junior now and is talking, visiting, etc.- mostly d3, two lower level d1s with good academics. Maybe come next fall he'll feel more certain of one school over all others but right now now way I'd want him applying ED - he likes all of them lol. Money is a BIG issue for us as well. The decision will be a combo of academic fit, soccer fit and finances. But it sounds like we'll have to wait until spring senior year like everyone else to make a call and hope that there's still a soccer spot?
                                OP here. I have doing this for seven years. Spring of senior year is too late. For D1's by then nearly all slots are gone and coaches are grabbing a depth player or two with no $$ left. D3's look for top players in late Junior year and have their rosters mostly figured out by mid senior year. Their main problem is sorting out who they lose to D1, but they are jockeying for their players much earlier than then. For most kids the second half of junior year is the key time. By the end of junior year you should have a list of schools where there is mutual interest. If your kid is a top D1, coaches by then will start waving $$ at you and forcing you to decide. Meanwhile the D3's will be waiting, and if they don't see enough interest on your part, they will mentally write you off and look elsewhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X