Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the best high school or college soccer players?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    With all of these penetrating and detailed questions it's surprising that you haven't found answers for yourself. Or have you? And would you like to share them??
    Not at all. No answers, just genuine curiosity. I'd love to hear from someone who's kid navigated the current US soccer maze and had success. What was it that ultimately led to their child's success? And, are there common themes among the successful, or is each case unique and therefore there is no identifiable best path?

Full of questions, and certainly have some guesses, but no answers.

Comment

Not at all. No answers, just genuine curiosity. I'd love to hear from someone who's kid navigated the current US soccer maze and had success. What was it that ultimately led to their child's success? And, are there common themes among the successful, or is each case unique and therefore there is no identifiable best path?

Full of questions, and certainly have some guesses, but no answers.
      LMAO. And what would constitute success in your mind? And why do you call it a maze? How is your own kid doing btw?

Comment

Fixed that for ya.
        But you see, the PMan isn't happy, that's why he rants and raves, so no point pretending otherwise..

Comment

Confused

LMAO. And what would constitute success in your mind? And why do you call it a maze? How is your own kid doing btw?
          Not sure what you found funny, but by "maze" I just meant the youth soccer world can feel a little overwhelming to new club parents (multiple clubs, multiple leagues / programs - NEP, DAP, ECNL, ODP, MAPLE, regional league...Elite teams, premier teams, large clubs, small clubs, calendar year, birth year, etc...). I'm sure most people on here understand it all well, but for a newbie it's a lot to take in.

"Success" is certainly subjective. For my kids, and as it relates to soccer, I'd hope that they'd enjoy the sport and play it at a competitive level for as long as they'd like. High school, D3 college, beyond....doesn't really matter...the enjoyment, learning lessons, and ability to play as long as they enjoy it matter most.

Lastly, my kids are doing fine, thanks, but still young...hence all my questions.

Comment

This is an interesting thread. The key question in our house is less about "how" and more about "for what"? Are we doing this so she can be best soccer player her gentics allow, or happiest well-adjusted human our circumstance can enable? As parents we dont want to believe the two are mutually exclusive. The absence of clarity causes us to pursue "balance". This results in many middle of the road decisions. Those decisions sacrifice coaching quality so she can play with friends, and they sometimes sacrifice happiness so she can hold her spot in the soccer arms race. If we were crystal clear on goals, decisions would be easy.

Comment

This is an interesting thread. The key question in our house is less about "how" and more about "for what"? Are we doing this so she can be best soccer player her gentics allow, or happiest well-adjusted human our circumstance can enable? As parents we dont want to believe the two are mutually exclusive. The absence of clarity causes us to pursue "balance". This results in many middle of the road decisions. Those decisions sacrifice coaching quality so she can play with friends, and they sometimes sacrifice happiness so she can hold her spot in the soccer arms race. If we were crystal clear on goals, decisions would be easy.
              Exactly, which is why earlier in the thread I asked about what exactly any of our young soccer players were going to make a legitimate career of soccer beyond college?

Someone posted "coaching". This is possible but I would hope that more of the college experience was used than just the soccer playing career.

I do believe that many future college players will find a way to involve soccer in their lives but very few will make a true career out of it. Coaching your kid at the club level because you played soccer in college is not a career but a past time.

So the end game for most college bound players is to simply extend competing at as high a level as they can for four more years.

So the "why" of playing in college in truth is "because they can".

The "what characteristics are most important" to succeed at the college level, I feel are love of playing the game.

There is very little incentive to play in college, especially for women, than the simple love of the game.

How many thousands of men play college football, knowing full well that they will never play another down beyond college? The guys that know going in that they will not be drafted likely have a very small scholarship, if any, but yet they play, and it is because they love the game.

So, if I am lucky enough that my kid can get into a college that is best for them that is what matters. IF I get to see four more years of soccer, then that is great and I could care less if it is D1 or D3.

Comment

Exactly, which is why earlier in the thread I asked about what exactly any of our young soccer players were going to make a legitimate career of soccer beyond college?

Someone posted "coaching". This is possible but I would hope that more of the college experience was used than just the soccer playing career.

I do believe that many future college players will find a way to involve soccer in their lives but very few will make a true career out of it. Coaching your kid at the club level because you played soccer in college is not a career but a past time.

So the end game for most college bound players is to simply extend competing at as high a level as they can for four more years.

So the "why" of playing in college in truth is "because they can".

The "what characteristics are most important" to succeed at the college level, I feel are love of playing the game.

There is very little incentive to play in college, especially for women, than the simple love of the game.

How many thousands of men play college football, knowing full well that they will never play another down beyond college? The guys that know going in that they will not be drafted likely have a very small scholarship, if any, but yet they play, and it is because they love the game.

So, if I am lucky enough that my kid can get into a college that is best for them that is what matters. IF I get to see four more years of soccer, then that is great and I could care less if it is D1 or D3.
                Best post here in about 5 years....and no, I didn't write it. Excellent.

Comment

What in particular did you like about what you wrote. Personally I found the post to be rather shallow. Just a rehash of the all to frequent (yours??) jocks are dumb for being jocks posts. Those are beyond boring at this point because they show absolutely zero understanding of what either the opportunities are for a scholarship athlete or the perils involved are. All your post does is show your disdain for athletes and one has to wonder why you spend so much time here on a soccer forum then.

Comment

Bet that poster is also a believer in pick a college based upon the school reputation not the soccer opportunity as well. That advice is like advising someone take a job they might hate because it is in an industry their guidance councilor thinks is respectable following the logic that there is always the second job to think about. Sounds good until that person is actually in that awful job that they do end up hating. Almost necessitates them prematurely looking for that second job in a different industry. Why not get it right the first time?

Wish some of these posters would come to grips with the fact that not everyone sees the small liberal arts colleges as some sort of holy grail nor going to medical law school as the only life option. They don't seem to grasp that not everyone aspires to sit in an office all day long or have job just so others can ooh over it.

Comment

What in particular did you like about what you wrote. Personally I found the post to be rather shallow. Just a rehash of the all to frequent (yours??) jocks are dumb for being jocks posts. Those are beyond boring at this point because they show absolutely zero understanding of what either the opportunities are for a scholarship athlete or the perils involved are. All your post does is show your disdain for athletes and one has to wonder why you spend so much time here on a soccer forum then.
                      How does it show disdain for athletes? How is the post negative in any way?

I hope my kids are able to play in college, BUT they are going to college for an education first. I would be thrilled to watch them for four more years. But they need not be defined before they are 25 years old as just an athlete. My kids are not National Team material and I suspect yours aren't either. So, presuming they won't play the sport as a career, I would hope they learn from the time spent other life lessons and get a good education at a good school.

If you have a problem with that then that is good for you, we disagree. But I'm not raising my kids to impress you or a some anonymous soccer forum.

Comment

Bet that poster is also a believer in pick a college based upon the school reputation not the soccer opportunity as well. That advice is like advising someone take a job they might hate because it is in an industry their guidance councilor thinks is respectable following the logic that there is always the second job to think about. Sounds good until that person is actually in that awful job that they do end up hating. Almost necessitates them prematurely looking for that second job in a different industry. Why not get it right the first time?

Wish some of these posters would come to grips with the fact that not everyone sees the small liberal arts colleges as some sort of holy grail nor going to medical law school as the only life option. They don't seem to grasp that not everyone aspires to sit in an office all day long or have job just so others can ooh over it.
                        You say this and yet you are somehow offended if some people don't see a academically Second Tier D1 school as the Holy Grail either?

I presume you believe that the club and league one plays in has significant role in the D1 School that will recruit your kid right?

Funny that for you the path to soccer success is through some very specific clubs, leagues and college showcases but when you take you typical State D1 School and apply to Graduate Business Schools like Wharton I'm sure they will be impressed.

If you are defining your kids success by the soccer program they are in, then I feel sorry for how you are shortchanging them at such a young age. I pray they don't have a devastating knee injury for fear of the disappointment and failure you may look upon them.

Comment

Wow, after reading this, one thing is clear, you would have benefitted from attending a good school.

Comment

How does it show disdain for athletes? How is the post negative in any way?

I hope my kids are able to play in college, BUT they are going to college for an education first. I would be thrilled to watch them for four more years. But they need not be defined before they are 25 years old as just an athlete. My kids are not National Team material and I suspect yours aren't either. So, presuming they won't play the sport as a career, I would hope they learn from the time spent other life lessons and get a good education at a good school.

If you have a problem with that then that is good for you, we disagree. But I'm not raising my kids to impress you or a some anonymous soccer forum.
                            I've read your posts too many times before and can see right through the little "scenario" that you are using to spread your negativity. Your agenda is pretty clear but why do you always feel the need to inject your personal values onto anyone else's family? You have no idea what anyone else's circumstances or beliefs are so why would you make such blanket statements like their kids won't use their sports experience as the foundation of a career? Are you really that insecure that you can't let others determine their own path in life? Do you really need someone's vague agreement with your personal choices from an anonymous internet forum to get you through life? Pretty sad dude.

Comment

I've read your posts too many times before and can see right through the little "scenario" that you are using to spread your negativity. Your agenda is pretty clear but why do you always feel the need to inject your personal values onto anyone else's family? You have no idea what anyone else's circumstances or beliefs are so why would you make such blanket statements like their kids won't use their sports experience as the foundation of a career? Are you really that insecure that you can't let others determine their own path in life? Do you really need someone's vague agreement with your personal choices from an anonymous internet forum to get you through life? Pretty sad dude.
                              I don't need your agreement. I am asking for evidence in the post that I said anything negative in general and about athletes in particular.

Comment

Thanks for this and also 38 and 39, btdt. Want to admit all of them? I didn't write the post I said was excellent. And the poster said he or she looked forward to his/her kid playing in college. Now, want to admit Suzie too? And hey, we're well past lunch time buddy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X