Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honest question. So what's a parent who cares about development to do?

I have a U12 son who plays 50% keeper and has been placed on D all of last year and so far all of this year. It's very clear that it's what is best for the team as very few can play D.

He's asked for the opportunity to play elsewhere and has been told yes, but it never happens.

Friends at other clubs have the same issue. So I'm not confident that switching clubs will help.
    If before HS your player is not rotating positions during competitive play, at all or even a little, it's anti-development and the club is NOT engaged in best practices from a club management and player development perspective. They've likely left these types of decision up to coaches of teams, rather than adhering to an actual player development curriculum. The result is that your child is serving the club, who is demonstrating that to them the game's result is a greater priority, by a lot, than the development of your child into a well-rounded player. Everything the club does at the most important development ages (U9-U14) should be clear -- the club is primarily serving the individual player's development, not the players serving the club's team results, marketing or business interests at the expense of development.

The club's DOC will either honestly acknowledge and address this, or if not, any response denying it's a problem that needs fixing will reveal to everyone involved the situation you find yourself in, which at worst would mean playing in town for fun, more time in the back yard and less in the car, and investing your club fees in private training would be time and money better spent.

Good luck.

Comment

I have a U12 son who plays 50% keeper and has been placed on D all of last year and so far all of this year. It's very clear that it's what is best for the team as very few can play D.

He's asked for the opportunity to play elsewhere and has been told yes, but it never happens.

Friends at other clubs have the same issue. So I'm not confident that switching clubs will help.
      Gone through this once with one kid. We had to shop around to find a club willing to let him do both until he was ready to settle in on keeper just before he turned 14. Clubs start pressuring keepers around 13 to dedicate fully to a keeper position. If yours isn't ready you have to push back. But they also have to be as good a field player as the rest of the squad to demand that. Coaches also are trying to make sure all players get ample PT so trying to make sure a keeper has PT on top of the rest doesn't seem to be a priority for many. We had to remind his coach often. If yours really isn't ready to decide at least talk to other clubs about their philosophy and see if you can find a better fit. Even though ours in the end settled on GK he has excellent foot skills and great command of the entire field.

Comment

Soccer is a very dynamic game. At the higher levels, i.e. professional and the levels directly below, players naturally rotate positions on the pitch as the flow of the game dictates.

Without the experience of playing all positions, players don't develop the necessary skills, vision and understanding to be effective against strong competition.

To develop such players, in the younger ages, i.e. U16 and under, coaches need to move players around and encourage players to take risks using skills that have been practiced. Most teams should have at least two keepers preferably 3. These players should rotate in goal and the field.

Mistakes need to be accepted if such can be used as teaching/development moments. For example to encourage the back line to maintain possession and attempt to take on opponents 1v1, the coach and parents need to accept the chance that there will be mistakes made. That such costs a goal or even a game is the price paid to encourage development.

Comment

Teach him how to play soccer as though there aren't positions and the rest will sort itself out. That said the keeper spot is the one exception because it is completely different from playing in the field and as such has very different training requirements. You should make some determination on how much your son wants to be a keeper and if it is a lot you should start moving his training focus on it. He doesn't need to be exclusive at 12 but he should be training for the position and that will mean actually doubling up the amount of training he is doing. It's a big commitment.

Comment

Thanks for the responses regarding positions.

He plays 100% of all club games. 50% as a keeper and 50% as a field player on D for his club team.

He still plays travel and they rotate all positions.

He's doing club keeper training and RDS as a field player. So tons of practice in addition to what he does on his own.

I just don't understand why many clubs settle kids into positions so early. We are feeling some GK pressure. And he'll likely end up there. But we want him on the field as long as possible developing other skills.

I don't know about small clubs, but everyone I know at a big club at U12 is locked into a position.

Comment

Thanks for the responses regarding positions.... I just don't understand why many clubs settle kids into positions so early....
              (How early is "so early"?) Because experienced coaches have seen enough kids to usually have a good idea which positions will work best for them. Kids with poor hands or fear of getting hit by the ball won't make good keepers; slow kids won't make good forwards; kids reluctant to deal with contact won't make good defenders. In the case of very talented kids, it might be less obvious which positions they'll excel in.

The notion that a team should suffer in games while some kids attempt to play positions they have no affinity for is better left for town soccer. Nothing's stopping kids from trying to get their skills together in practice. In other sports it's understood that practice is the place to learn and demonstrate basic competence: no one thinks kids who can't dribble should try to play point guard, or kids who can't throw should try to play quarterback. But many soccer parents seem to think that magical development can happen in games when little talent for a certain position has been shown in practice--maybe because the barrier to entry in soccer, namely, the ability to kick a ball, seems low enough that anything seems possible.

Comment

"Play where you're standing. Don't play within some set parameters based on a 'position'".

Comment

(How early is "so early"?) Because experienced coaches have seen enough kids to usually have a good idea which positions will work best for them. Kids with poor hands or fear of getting hit by the ball won't make good keepers; slow kids won't make good forwards; kids reluctant to deal with contact won't make good defenders. In the case of very talented kids, it might be less obvious which positions they'll excel in.

The notion that a team should suffer in games while some kids attempt to play positions they have no affinity for is better left for town soccer. Nothing's stopping kids from trying to get their skills together in practice. In other sports it's understood that practice is the place to learn and demonstrate basic competence: no one thinks kids who can't dribble should try to play point guard, or kids who can't throw should try to play quarterback. But many soccer parents seem to think that magical development can happen in games when little talent for a certain position has been shown in practice--maybe because the barrier to entry in soccer, namely, the ability to kick a ball, seems low enough that anything seems possible.
                  My son is 11 playing U12. He can play any position equally well. He chooses to play goal 50% of the time. The other 50% he's on D. He'd like to play up on occasion.

If what you say is true, how is it fair to keep my son on D because he is tall, isn't afraid to tackle, and doesn't mind getting hit by the ball? Shouldn't other kids be forced to learn that position and those skills as well?

I agree with what others have said and am working on him to not think so black and white vs defense and midfield/offense. However years of town/travel soccer has beat into him that defenders stay back.

Comment

My son is 11 playing U12. He can play any position equally well. He chooses to play goal 50% of the time. The other 50% he's on D. He'd like to play up on occasion.

If what you say is true, how is it fair to keep my son on D because he is tall, isn't afraid to tackle, and doesn't mind getting hit by the ball? Shouldn't other kids be forced to learn that position and those skills as well?

I agree with what others have said and am working on him to not think so black and white vs defense and midfield/offense. However years of town/travel soccer has beat into him that defenders stay back.
                    IMHO, your concern shouldn't be what's fair relative to other kids. If you're convinced that your son could play other positions well, and he'd like to play other positions, then you should ask the coach to give him the opportunity. If the coach basically declines, it's time to move to another team within the same club or to a different club, on the understanding that he would get that opportunity.

I write from experience with a kid in a similar situation at roughly the same age. An otherwise excellent coach wasn't interested in compromise, so at the end of the season we moved to the age-group team within the same club. In our view, there wasn't much point in a kid with real talent to play forward to be slotted as a dedicated defender that young. Kid is now a standout forward, with a chance to be special. Have the courage of your convictions.

Comment

IMHO, your concern shouldn't be what's fair relative to other kids. If you're convinced that your son could play other positions well, and he'd like to play other positions, then you should ask the coach to give him the opportunity. If the coach basically declines, it's time to move to another team within the same club or to a different club, on the understanding that he would get that opportunity.

I write from experience with a kid in a similar situation at roughly the same age. An otherwise excellent coach wasn't interested in compromise, so at the end of the season we moved to the age-group team within the same club. In our view, there wasn't much point in a kid with real talent to play forward to be slotted as a dedicated defender that young. Kid is now a standout forward, with a chance to be special. Have the courage of your convictions.
                      Thanks for the response.

How did you know your kid would get that opportunity on another team? Was that a condition of you moving?

I'm working on my son advocating for himself. He has asked the coach to play up, he has said yes, then he doesn't follow through. I'm going to see how the next game goes. Then have a discussion with the coach if necessary.

Moving within the club likely means switching regions.

Comment

When you read the posts from the prior page, then this one, it becomes clear why plenty of clubs suck at development and there are coaches who clearly care about the team's results over whether a kid can play anywhere on the pitch with both feet...and go to silly lengths to rationalize why.

Comment

When you read the posts from the prior page, then this one, it becomes clear why plenty of clubs suck at development and there are coaches who clearly care about the team's results over whether a kid can play anywhere on the pitch with both feet...and go to silly lengths to rationalize why.
                          Except I'm not a coach. But all you've got is cheap dismissal, so rationalize your own frustrations. Good luck with your anyone "anywhere on the pitch" approach--all in the name of "development," of course.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

How did you know your kid would get that opportunity on another team? Was that a condition of you moving?

I'm working on my son advocating for himself. He has asked the coach to play up, he has said yes, then he doesn't follow through. I'm going to see how the next game goes. Then have a discussion with the coach if necessary....
                            We talked with the other coach. There was no "condition"--but we had an understanding and we trusted him enough.

My view is that when things aren't going in a direction that's working well for your kid, try to have a respectful conversation. If that doesn't work, move on between seasons. Trying to force a fit usually won't be worth the trouble, since it's unlikely to succeed. Most coaches who have had some success are going to stay their course, regardless of whether the parent has a point.

Comment

We talked with the other coach. There was no "condition"--but we had an understanding and we trusted him enough.

My view is that when things aren't going in a direction that's working well for your kid, try to have a respectful conversation. If that doesn't work, move on between seasons. Trying to force a fit usually won't be worth the trouble, since it's unlikely to succeed. Most coaches who have had some success are going to stay their course, regardless of whether the parent has a point.
                              Why do you assume that one position in soccer is better than the other? If your son happens to be the best defender on the team, there is nothing wrong with him helping the team that way.

Comment

Why do you assume that one position in soccer is better than the other? If your son happens to be the best defendrarely the team there is nothing wrong with him helping the team that way.
                                Not the person you asked but the person who asked the question to begin with.

At 11 I believe my son should be playing all positions. Left side, right side, front, and back. I believe that is best for his development as an overall player. However, it seems that most coaches are placing kids based on where they fit to help the team win.

For example, one of the weakest kids on my son's team plays Striker. He never plays back. He's placed where he will do the least damage. He's rarely successful and hasn't grown. He only plays club soccer.

My son still plays travel, district select in the Summer, indoor in the Winter, and is doing RDS. So I'm probably making more of a big deal about it then necessary.

However, at young ages, I think it's best for development to play in all positions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X