Age group changes and the ECNL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls soccer should really go by graduation year since the end game for girls is college and many states have different school age cutoffs. The only same date across the board is HS grad year. Easy. Simple. And the college soccer system has been feeding the USWNT just fine. Girls are different. Same reason the boys DA doesn't allow for HS play, but ECNL does.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Here is where the rubber meets the road. With a big roster (for argument's sake, let's say some ECNL and NPL rosters do approach 30) , the limitation to 18 on game day means a lot of kids getting left at home week after week. That realization, when it hits, will make for some mighty unhappy folks.
      I think rosters will remain 18-20 kids and the lower tier players move down to NPL and the lower tier NPL players get dropped to NEP. What parent will pay and travel on a 30 player club team, crazy. Best stay and bench players move is my guess.

Comment

I think we will see some pretty good u17/18 NPL teams formed until the RAE reverses the age bias in 10 years or so. The top few Aug-dec (u17) 99 kids will make the 98/99 u17/18 ECNL team. The bottom few Jan -July99 and Aug-dec98 will be usurped by them and go down to 98/99 u17 NPL and join the not quite good enough Aug-dec 99 and make up a pretty good u17/18 NPL team.
        US club hasn't said how they are handling NPL but assuming, since they also govern the ECNL it looks the same the above is likely.

Comment

Girls soccer should really go by graduation year since the end game for girls is college and many states have different school age cutoffs. The only same date across the board is HS grad year. Easy. Simple. And the college soccer system has been feeding the USWNT just fine. Girls are different. Same reason the boys DA doesn't allow for HS play, but ECNL does.
          Well said. That really underscores then ludicrousness of the date change.

Comment

I think we will see some pretty good u17/18 NPL teams formed until the RAE reverses the age bias in 10 years or so. The top few Aug-dec (u17) 99 kids will make the 98/99 u17/18 ECNL team. The bottom few Jan -July99 and Aug-dec98 will be usurped by them and go down to 98/99 u17 NPL and join the not quite good enough Aug-dec 99 and make up a pretty good u17/18 NPL team.
            US club hasn't said how they are handling NPL but assuming, since they also govern the ECNL it looks the same the above is likely.
            Tryouts at this age have traditionally been without drama and little movement. No more.

Comment

Anyone else think it's ridiculous they will have a U-13 team next Spring? 7th/8th grade year shouldn't have that kind of pressure, more than there already is. Now young girls at u11 and u12 will start migrating to ECNL clubs even earlier.

Comment

Anyone else think it's ridiculous they will have a U-13 team next Spring? 7th/8th grade year shouldn't have that kind of pressure, more than there already is. Now young girls at u11 and u12 will start migrating to ECNL clubs even earlier.
                I thought there has always been U13 PRE-ECNL

Comment

I thought there has always been U13 PRE-ECNL
                  There has been, although not at every club. Yes the pressure is going younger and younger,. It used to be at U15 tryouts (going into HS), now U14. Hard to figure out what would drive it though. Highly doubtful it's coaches - recruiting is already far too young, Big clubs want to keep as many players hoping to "make it" in their system as long as possible. Form a team even earlier then those players that don't make the cut will probably leave. It's one thing to do it for training/better competition. But parents will just see it as free pass to college and push their kids into ECNL clubs even earlier - so I suppose clubs see that as the opportunity? Once teams are created it is more difficult to get on one - window of opportunity closed.

Comment

There has been, although not at every club. Yes the pressure is going younger and younger....
                    What general "pressure"? A kid plays on the team that takes her and that she feels most comfortable with. Some ECNL-quality kids choose to play on that club's NPL team because they feel stressed playing on the ECNL team or for the coach of that team. It's not that serious: if a kid is good enough and on a team good enough to attend good college showcases, she'll have opportunities to be seen and recruited.

Get in where you fit in.

Comment

I would not choose it but if some kid and parent have the $$ and interest, who cares?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X