Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Braintree was 6-6-4 in the league in 2014, 7-8-1 in both 2013 and 2012. And it seems like each year, there have been reasons offered that they would emerge. Good keeper, sophomore scoring leader returning, etc. But the facts show that it's not easy to emerge in this league. Maybe 1 of the 12 teams will improve their record by more than 4 points than the prior year. Hard to put money on Braintree being that team, without more of a reason. My pick is Framingham.
    Framingham is the logical pick to win the League with Needham right behind them. I wouldn't put money on braintree as i think there in a transition phase in style of play. I think finally they'll try to possess the ball rather than play kick and run and they will suffer some rough patches.

Ideally I see the Bay State League as a whole playing out like this

1. Framingham 12-2-2 26pts
    2. Needham 10-1-5 25pts
    3. wellesely 10-3-3 23pts
    4. Weymouth 9-2-5 23pts
    5. Walpole 8-4-4 20pts
    6. Braintree 7-5-4 18pts
    7. Natick 6-6-6 18pts
    8. Brookline 5-9-4 14pts
    9. Newton North 4-11-3 11pts
    10. Milton 3-12-1 7pts
    11. Norwood 2-12-2 6pts
    12. Dedham 1-14-1 3pts

Comment

Framingham is the logical pick to win the League with Needham right behind them. I wouldn't put money on braintree as i think there in a transition phase in style of play. I think finally they'll try to possess the ball rather than play kick and run and they will suffer some rough patches.

Ideally I see the Bay State League as a whole playing out like this

1. Framingham 12-2-2 26pts
      2. Needham 10-1-5 25pts
      3. wellesely 10-3-3 23pts
      4. Weymouth 9-2-5 23pts
      5. Walpole 8-4-4 20pts
      6. Braintree 7-5-4 18pts
      7. Natick 6-6-6 18pts
      8. Brookline 5-9-4 14pts
      9. Newton North 4-11-3 11pts
      10. Milton 3-12-1 7pts
      11. Norwood 2-12-2 6pts
      12. Dedham 1-14-1 3pts
      Something to factor in is opt-outs. Dedham and Norwood have 13 or 14 league games, not 16, due to opting out of home games vs Natick, Walpole and wellesley ( can't recall exactly). So those opponents will only have 14 games as well.
      There seems to be a top 2 of Framingham and Needham. Needham should be favored until Framingham has shown they can attack unselfishly as a team.
      Then there's a big middle of Braintree, Brookline, Natick, Walpole, wellesley and Weymouth. It's hard to say whether any will be good. You think Weymouth will be, and Brookline won't. All of these could end w 6-8 wins, struggle to score, and occasionally drop points to the group below.
      Dedham, Milton, Newton north and Norwood could actually end up a little, a little, better than you show due to occasionally picking up points from the opponents above.

Comment

Something to factor in is opt-outs. Dedham and Norwood have 13 or 14 league games, not 16, due to opting out of home games vs Natick, Walpole and wellesley ( can't recall exactly). So those opponents will only have 14 games as well.
        There seems to be a top 2 of Framingham and Needham. Needham should be favored until Framingham has shown they can attack unselfishly as a team.
        Then there's a big middle of Braintree, Brookline, Natick, Walpole, wellesley and Weymouth. It's hard to say whether any will be good. You think Weymouth will be, and Brookline won't. All of these could end w 6-8 wins, struggle to score, and occasionally drop points to the group below.
        Dedham, Milton, Newton north and Norwood could actually end up a little, a little, better than you show due to occasionally picking up points from the opponents above.
        Brookline and Natick both Graduated 13+ Seniors from last years team. Brookline could be set for a steep drop off.

Comment

Whose the Bay State League Favorite? any Shock Teams making moves this year? anyone falling off Drastically?

I see the League playing out like this

Carey
          1. Needham
          2. Framingham
          3. Weymouth
          4. Braintree
          5. Brookline
          6 Newton North

Herget
          1. Wellesley
          2. Walpole
          3. Natick
          4. Norwood
          5. Milton
          6. Dedham

Surprise team: Weymouth
          Disappointing team: Natick/Braintree

thoughts on the best league in the State?
          Lets Break the League into a few tiers.

Elite Teams (Top 5 team in state potential)
          1. Needham
          2. Framingham

Contenders (Top 20 in state potential, Quality threat in the League)
          3. Wellesley
          4. Weymouth
          5. Walpole
          6. Braintree

Average (Tournament bound.... maybe? .500 teams)
          7. Natick
          8. Brookline
          9. Newton North

Below Average (Can and should opt out of games, Bottom of the league in record/talent
          10. Milton
          11. Norwood
          12. Dedham

Comment

Norwood's new players

Sounds like Norwood has had a few really good players move into town this summer. A family from SA somewhere, with 2 really good players that are good enough to play on the revolution... Time will tell but it sounds like Norwood has a chance to win their division....

1. Needham
            2. Framingham

3. Wellesley
            4. Weymouth
            5. Walpole
            6. Braintree

7. Natick
            8. Brookline
            9. Newton North

Below Average (Can and should opt out of games, Bottom of the league in record/talent
            10. Milton
            11. Norwood
            12. Dedham

Comment

For Needham, the coach shouldn't be that big an issue. The players are there. The coach can only mess it up, which is a tough situation to step into.[/QUOTE]

Last years team was inspired by their coaches and themselves. Several of these teams have enough skill and manpower to win, but do they have the organization and passion. Someone has to lead them and something has to inspire the players to play beyond what they think they can. This is where coaching comes in.

I don't know the new coach in Needham, but DB and JS have had experience in coaching at a high high school level and understand this part of the game. I would enjoy seeing Needham stay on top, but the new coach has some work to do before that happens.

Comment

Sounds like Norwood has had a few really good players move into town this summer. A family from SA somewhere, with 2 really good players that are good enough to play on the revolution... Time will tell but it sounds like Norwood has a chance to win their division....
                This reminds me of the story of Brazilian triplets that had just moved to Norwood. We didn't bite. Hope this is true for league competitiveness, but if they are playing for Revolution, they won't be playing for Norwood.

Comment

1. Needham
                  2. Framingham

3. Wellesley
                  4. Weymouth
                  5. Walpole
                  6. Braintree

7. Natick
                  8. Brookline
                  9. Newton North

10. Milton
                  11. Norwood
                  12. Dedham
                  Like how you provided some definition for the tiers.
                  - interesting that you think NN could be improved enough to get a tournament spot. Any particular reason for that? It could happen for them if they opted out of a game each vs the top 2, and replaced them in the schedule with winnable games. NN should play NS.
                  - don't think that 2nd group is top 20 quality. That would mean at least 10 regular season wins, probably with 5 or less losses. All 4 of them seem unlikely to finish there. They could be labeled 50-60% chance of qualifying for tournament, which translates to 1-2 of them not qualifying.

Comment

Like how you provided some definition for the tiers.
                    - interesting that you think NN could be improved enough to get a tournament spot. Any particular reason for that? It could happen for them if they opted out of a game each vs the top 2, and replaced them in the schedule with winnable games. NN should play NS.
                    - don't think that 2nd group is top 20 quality. That would mean at least 10 regular season wins, probably with 5 or less losses. All 4 of them seem unlikely to finish there. They could be labeled 50-60% chance of qualifying for tournament, which translates to 1-2 of them not qualifying.
                    I disagree that there's a 50/60% chance of those 4 teams making the tournament.

I think Weymouth and Wellesley are 100% locks and could easily be top 20 teams especially Wellesley with them playing in the weaker of the two conferences I'd expect them to pick up a min of 8 conference wins mainly from Dedham x2, Milton x2, norwood x2 and potential wins vs Natick and Walpole.

I also think Braintree and Newton North should both be locks for the tournament but as much lower seeds with potential upset capability.

Comment

I think Weymouth and Wellesley are 100% locks and could easily be top 20 teams especially Wellesley with them playing in the weaker of the two conferences I'd expect them to pick up a min of 8 conference wins mainly from Dedham x2, Milton x2, norwood x2 and potential wins vs Natick and Walpole.

I also think Braintree and Newton North should both be locks for the tournament but as much lower seeds with potential upset capability.
                      Re Wellesley, see #17. Dedham and Norwood both opted out of hosting Wellesley this fall.

Also, even if a team plays in a harder division of a league, that alone shouldn't affect their ranking. Rankers should take schedule into account, not look at record alone.

Maybe these posters aren't that much in disagreement. One says that rankers will only consider those w/ more than 10 regular season wins, and doubts certain teams will collect that many. The other's tone disagrees, but then says that a couple of the teams should get 8 wins. 8 being less than 11, they seem to actually agree.

Comment

NN a lock for tournament? They lost 8 more than they won last year, so all else equal, they would need to turn half of those losses into wins this year. Aside from their games against d2/3 Milton/Norwood/Dedham, they scored 6 goals in 13 other league games. What about their squad makes you think they can do it?

Comment

For Braintree and Newton north to qualify, don't you have to believe that Brookline or Weymouth will be way down, like last in their division? Doesn't seem it will be Weymouth, for whom the worst opinion seems to be that they'll have a similar record as last year. But it could be Brookline, which was 3-9-4 in league play as recently as 2012, and apparently had many key players from the goal-starved 2014 team graduate.

Comment

For Braintree and Newton north to qualify, don't you have to believe that Brookline or Weymouth will be way down, like last in their division? Doesn't seem it will be Weymouth, for whom the worst opinion seems to be that they'll have a similar record as last year. But it could be Brookline, which was 3-9-4 in league play as recently as 2012, and apparently had many key players from the goal-starved 2014 team graduate.
                            When you look at these pre-season projections what is interesting to realize is how few players some of the local soccer clubs are actually producing. Traditionally the Breakers and SSS have pretty heavily pulled their players from Weymouth and Braintree while GPS has been pretty dominant in Brookline and Newton. Juxtapose that to Needham and Framingham where NEFC and Stars have pulled their players from.

Comment

When you look at these pre-season projections what is interesting to realize is how few players some of the local soccer clubs are actually producing. Traditionally the Breakers and SSS have pretty heavily pulled their players from Weymouth and Braintree while GPS has been pretty dominant in Brookline and Newton. Juxtapose that to Needham and Framingham where NEFC and Stars have pulled their players from.
                              This feels overgeneralized. In most of these towns, the players are scattered among multiple clubs. Further, the same player often moves from one club to another. Mostly, the player "produces" the player, not the club.

Comment

This feels overgeneralized. In most of these towns, the players are scattered among multiple clubs. Further, the same player often moves from one club to another. Mostly, the player "produces" the player, not the club.
                                A rather humorous pov considering that the Breakers/Scorpions people have been carrying on for years here how they "made" the Mewis sisters et all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X