2015 Girls D1 Fall High School Season

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the best HS teams in the state? The list starts with the top couple of prep schools and then gradually filters down to the biggest and baddest D1 publics and then down from there.

People can complain about the PG's at the preps but they only at the boarding schools and really aren't all that plentiful. For sure they are a part of the prep school world but they aren't that dominate a factor in it and you certainly don't see entire teams made up of PG's. Also there are plenty of instances in other sports where kids have gone off to a prep school and, repeated a school year, then came back to their public school after a year or two. They end up doing a 5th (PG) year in their public school so how is that any different?

Comment

I actually think the Prep schools are not as strong as some of the top Public schools. Would like to see them play someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I actually think the Prep schools are not as strong as some of the top Public schools. Would like to see them play someday.
        How is CMAss looking? Expect Nashoba to be contending for CMass title again. Strong program. Shrewsbury has a new coach (Nashoba boys coach form last year). No idea how that will turn out. Probably a good move for the program. Wachusett I assume will be pretty good, but lost some players due to graduation. Any input on Gonk?

Just all speculation based on last year. Was a fun season to watch. Looking forward to this fall.

Comment

Who are the best HS teams in the state? The list starts with the top couple of prep schools and then gradually filters down to the biggest and baddest D1 publics and then down from there.

People can complain about the PG's at the preps but they only at the boarding schools and really aren't all that plentiful. For sure they are a part of the prep school world but they aren't that dominate a factor in it and you certainly don't see entire teams made up of PG's. Also there are plenty of instances in other sports where kids have gone off to a prep school and, repeated a school year, then came back to their public school after a year or two. They end up doing a 5th (PG) year in their public school so how is that any different?
          This is fair. I do think this is probably a bigger factor for the boys programs for whatever reason.

Comment

School of choice can, just ask WH coach.
            Or any of the dozens of other "choice schools" in the state. The coach has historically underachieved with teams ranked nationally. Teams that included NT players and several D1 college recruits. Those teams fell short of any state championship games. This past years team which included two choice school kids only one of which started was comprised almost entirely of students from Whitman or Hanson with those two exceptions. I doubt they will come close to repeating last year results and then we can all move past the ridiculous assertion that the WH coach is out recruiting players. Others may choose WH but that will be based on the success of the team and not the reputation or actions of the coach. Jmo

Comment

Or any of the dozens of other "choice schools" in the state. The coach has historically underachieved with teams ranked nationally. Teams that included NT players and several D1 college recruits. Those teams fell short of any state championship games. This past years team which included two choice school kids only one of which started was comprised almost entirely of students from Whitman or Hanson with those two exceptions. I doubt they will come close to repeating last year results and then we can all move past the ridiculous assertion that the WH coach is out recruiting players. Others may choose WH but that will be based on the success of the team and not the reputation or actions of the coach. Jmo
              Why do you think they won't come close this year? We lost to them in tourney, my daughter is good friends with one of them, last week she said they only lost 2 starters, with an incoming class of some very good freshmen - she thinks a couple of them will be factor on this years team. The teams who did well with least amount of seniors lost to graduation should be favorites this year. How many did W. Springfield, Franklin or LS loose? They all did very well last year. As for my kids team, we lost a lot, hoping that they make tourney this year.

Comment

No one claimed he was out recruiting. Actually far from it. That said it does need to be recognized that he DID get players from other towns through the school choice option. School choice wasn't being criticized either, the point was that it gives public schools the ability to benefit when a family looks outside their town for a high school just like a private school.

Comment

No one claimed he was out recruiting. Actually far from it. That said it does need to be recognized that he DID get players from other towns through the school choice option. School choice wasn't being criticized either, the point was that it gives public schools the ability to benefit when a family looks outside their town for a high school just like a private school.
                  And yet only one team is continually pointed out as the only HS that benefits from this statewide program that many towns participate in and many students participate in for various reasons including budget cuts to programs such as music and arts as well as sports.

Comment

And yet only one team is continually pointed out as the only HS that benefits from this statewide program that many towns participate in and many students participate in for various reasons including budget cuts to programs such as music and arts as well as sports.
                    I think what you will find on this board is a lot of misery clearly..whether talking about club, high school, what division you play in for college or whatever the topic if you are successful people will always look for ways to year you down and whine about why you are successful. Because, of course, you didn't earn it and aren't really that good...ever. Felllowship of the miserable.

Comment

You won't have to worry about Natick. They fired the coach because of parents that complained after their kids didn't make it. They will most likely expand the roster to accommodate the whiners and institute a system of more equal playing time. It's a shame.

Comment

You won't have to worry about Natick. They fired the coach because of parents that complained after their kids didn't make it. They will most likely expand the roster to accommodate the whiners and institute a system of more equal playing time. It's a shame.
                        I heard that but didn't believe it. Surprising since they were very young last year and knocked off OA in the semis. I think they were only losing their keeper? It is a shame though their coach has been there a long time and they always seem to do well in the Bay State Conference. Varsity is not about equal pt, btw.

Comment

Wow

Wow. I am a longtime BSC parent and this is very surprising. That coach has been there a long time and they have always run such a disciplined program and you always knew you were up for a close and tight game with their defensive style. I remember looking at their roster last year and thinking what a powerhouse they were poised to become over the next few years with that youth and with all due respect to Needham, they were by far the best possession team last year in the BSC. Even when falling behind they never changed their formation or shape like a lot of HS teams do.

What the heck is the AD thinking? They have won a couple of league titles over the past couple of years. I am thinking that the complainers must be well connected. I agree it's a shame but it's good for us :) How are the players taking it?

Comment

Times have certainly changed. I remember not making varsity basketball as a senior and my father saying - you have no reason to be upset, you would have rode the bench all season if you did make it because the younger players are much better than you. Today, if he didn't complain to the school he would be probably be jailed for child abuse. Smh.

Comment

Times have certainly changed. I remember not making varsity basketball as a senior and my father saying - you have no reason to be upset, you would have rode the bench all season if you did make it because the younger players are much better than you. Today, if he didn't complain to the school he would be probably be jailed for child abuse. Smh.
                              It's only going to get worse. There will be more and more instances of the marginal athlete being cut whose parents of more exceptional means has been paying a mediocre club for years and years.

Comment

If they do this, they are ineligible under MIAA rules. Once you start the ninth grade, the clock starts ticking - you have four years to play high school sports. Preps don't have this rule

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X