Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry Perspective, but I hate to break the news that there are actually many of us who you annoy immensely,
    +1 to that

Comment

I don't get how people get so upset over one person's view of recruitment, college funding, club selection, etc.

Would you go nuts if someone said they are vegan for health reasons?

It is what it is. You don't have to agree. Personally, I like hearing someone else's view. Sometimes I pick up some knowledge and some time I think their nuts but either way it was a good discussion and even better if there are some laughs.
      The college process is very interesting to me. My son has started "early college" so college soccer isn't even an option. I am not sure I will do this with my others children but it appears to suite him.

-- Pathfinder
      This is what's important. Let's share different opinions, let the reader decide, and not waste time hawking the posts of someone else.

Perspective, I agree with your perspective. Club is necessary for branded D3 (NESCAC-like) and even high-level HS soccer in MA. I also agree that club has become a money grab funded by parent optimism. But is there a better way?

I am sincerely interested in people's thought on this:
      If I want my D to have the option of playing at the next level, is there an alternative to paying the Club bus fare?

Comment

I'll respond to your distortion efforts tomorrow, BTNT.
        Awaiting breathlessly

Comment

Couple of factual points to mull when reading the post above.

Every D1 prospect who is also a smart student initially thinks about the Ivies but the realities of recruiting now mean that you have to pass on potentially attractive scholarship offers before you can even get an initial read from one. That has more of an impact than Perspective seems to think.

The D3 level of college soccer is much larger than the D1 level and the quality of programs is pretty diverse. Very hard to make the generalization Perspective is making about what it takes to play at that level if you have actually watched more than the NESCACS. Once you get out of the top 25 programs the level of play starts dropping off significantly.
          OK, so a lot of goal posts switching here. At first, you said the concern was not enough academic supports specifically devised and built in for athletes at Ivies. Now you're on the recruitment challenges posed by the Ivies compared to other D1s.

You know that your new point didn't apply in your case. You could have turned down Duke and picked Harvard. You've basically already told us that. In fact, you could do it today. Tell Duke you are not coming and sign up for Harvard. You won't because athletes at your daughter's level, even those who would do well at Harvard, are going to pick a place like Duke. Plus, don't you remember, you will not support your kid playing soccer anywhere where they aren't getting paid to play, so Harvard is out as are the rest of the Ivies. So you are arguing just to argue, and basically posing. For other kids who are D1 recruitable but a tier or two down from your kid, and who also are legit Ivy candidates, of course there are challenges in terms of the timeline, but I have a feeling that those generally very sophisticated families and pretty sophisticated kids with access to very competent advising generally will figure things out. We certainly have not see ANY complaints here on this site from those for whom those things are relevant who didn't figure it out. You want to overestimate the challenges and underestimate the ability of families (often the ISL kind of families) to figure things out so that your idiosyncratic advice will seem more critical. It's just not. You are not the only intelligent person on the site, or the only person who played D1 or had kids play D1, or who can post on TS and chew gum at the same time.

As to the second point where you have actually because of your own bizarre needs potentially caused damage by taking every opportunity to attack the club soccer industry and the parents who participate via this "only need high school soccer" mantra, you are proving yourself to be anything but helpful. You can go after the club soccer industry in ways which many of us might agree with you, but you convolute things and do a disservice by mixing up the targets you hate together. You just don't think clearly and logically enough, as in the case you are mixing your disdain for kids playing D3 at all with what it takes to play D3. You of course lose points you could gain for your "too much money and too much travel" ragtime but always overstating and distorting.

The fact is that in our demographic (you should know more about that than I since you are a private school guy) the D3s most are interested in ARE top 50 programs, and indeed the ones that are top 50 academically and athletically. Those are highly desirable schools aside from any considerations about soccer, and if a kid can play soccer at one of them as a bonus MOST families with kids who fit that level will be extremely happy and feel overall that, to borrow your phrase, "the juice was worth the squeeze" (which doesn't mean they wish the squeeze was that hard). I would guess that there is not another family in Massachusetts that parallels your demographic and your profile who would actively choose a very low D3 as a preferred outcome. So, notwithstanding that you also distort even with respect to low D3, you're bringing up something that is irrelevant to most here in making decisions. Your friend Yablu raised a great point....how do you get to be even a very good high school player? Most often it is through club level training and exposure, so your mantra and need to keep selling it to defend your own ridiculousness is even more of a dangerous disservice. 90% of the time or more, a kid will not be an impact player and regular starter for at least a couple of years in high school without having that level of training. Sure, that doesn't mean they have to go to AZ or CA or Seattle or wherever, but again, you merge your hated targets in such convoluted way that you accomplish nothing and actually cause harm. That's what happens when someone is ruled by agendas like you are in your serial posting on this site. That leads to imprecise, sloppy, distorted reasoning, and a complete lack of ability to engage in a real back and forth where you aren't hypersensitive to whether you lost a point to some imagined foe or club or whatever. You are a fundamentally dishonest poster who never is without agenda, and so one always has to account for that in reading your posts. In short, you spoil your potentially valuable contributions with all the agenda-based stuff and personal justifications of your own actions.

-- Perspective

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Why, it's nothing but hate and jealousy.

Comment

Why, it's nothing but hate and jealousy.
                Unfortunately this is another example of why you have zero credibility. You taunt about contributing, and then someone very directly responds to your points in a very detailed, coherent, and logical manner and you are incapable of acknowledging that even a little bit. Instead, you will deflect with retorts about nutjobs, hate and jealousy, and meltdowns. Beyond telling.

Comment

Once again you mistake me for someone else. It was a very busy day, First spent most of the morning and early afternoon picking out cabinetry and other materials for a home renovation project then after that it was home coming at Rivers today and I watched a soccer game then a football game. I literally am sitting down for the first time today before heading out to the movies. Maybe I'll get to your bizarre post tomorrow but more likely on Monday. I am going to jump over to the U13 thread and make a quick post over there. Have fun monitoring the site trying to guess if I am lying.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                    Once again you mistake me for someone else. It was a very busy day, First spent most of the morning and early afternoon picking out cabinetry and other materials for a home renovation project then after that it was home coming at Rivers today and I watched a soccer game then a football game. I literally am sitting down for the first time today before heading out to the movies. Maybe I'll get to your bizarre post tomorrow but more likely on Monday. I am going to jump over to the U13 thread and make a quick post over there. Have fun monitoring the site trying to guess if I am lying.
                    Too funny, BTNT. I guess you didn't know you can post when you are away from the homestead, right? I always post when I'm shopping and picking out drapes with the spouse. Lemme guess, you're out looking for new toilets today to handle the crap you're feeding us here. Where did someone mistake you for someone else? What did you find "bizarre" about a post that directly responded to all of your points? Ya know, you don't have to do us a favor by posting "literally the first chance you got to sit down all day." Is checking TS the first thing you do every time you get a free moment in your hectic, overloaded life? Take a few months off. You've earned it. And btw, we don't have to guess when you are lying. The only challenge would be guessing when you aren't lying.

What movie did you see? Didn't want to watch the USA vs Mexico game? No interest in that for Massachusetts' First Soccer Family?

Comment

Too funny, BTNT. I guess you didn't know you can post when you are away from the homestead, right? I always post when I'm shopping and picking out drapes with the spouse. Lemme guess, you're out looking for new toilets today to handle the crap you're feeding us here. Where did someone mistake you for someone else? What did you find "bizarre" about a post that directly responded to all of your points? Ya know, you don't have to do us a favor by posting "literally the first chance you got to sit down all day." Is checking TS the first thing you do every time you get a free moment in your hectic, overloaded life? Take a few months off. You've earned it. And btw, we don't have to guess when you are lying. The only challenge would be guessing when you aren't lying.

What movie did you see? Didn't want to watch the USA vs Mexico game? No interest in that for Massachusetts' First Soccer Family?
                      So jealous of BTDT.

Comment

And there's the jealousy and hatred. Way to go Perspective. your family must be really proud of you.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                          Did I answer your question sufficiently?
                          Yes, thank you. The academic support issue for the Ivy's is one that's been floating around in my head for a bit, and you put a good point on it. The Ivy league brand is nice to have on a resume, but getting the full education (that you're paying for) is compromised by the time spent focusing on athletics.

My sense for this is that not all of the Ivys are "equal" in terms of the demands on the individual athlete, but no matter which one you attend, something has to give - either a weakened academic performance, a lowered commitment to your sport, or any semblance of a social life. Of course, there's nothing that states that the athlete has to continue to play the sport all 4 years, which is something that my d and I have discussed several times. Soccer will end at some point, and she's open to the idea that other interests could take precedence before she's 22.

Comment

And there's the jealousy and hatred. Way to go Perspective. your family must be really proud of you.
                            BTDT, while you're still trying to understand the meaning of "hedonism," also finally look up the meaning of "jealousy." Hint: your self-aggrandizing notion that you're someone to be envious of is laughable. (You are not equivalent to your father, wife, or kids--much as you feel an obvious need to bask in the reflected glow of others.)

Enjoy this very nice day.

Comment

Yes, thank you. The academic support issue for the Ivy's is one that's been floating around in my head for a bit, and you put a good point on it. The Ivy league brand is nice to have on a resume, but getting the full education (that you're paying for) is compromised by the time spent focusing on athletics.

My sense for this is that not all of the Ivys are "equal" in terms of the demands on the individual athlete, but no matter which one you attend, something has to give - either a weakened academic performance, a lowered commitment to your sport, or any semblance of a social life. Of course, there's nothing that states that the athlete has to continue to play the sport all 4 years, which is something that my d and I have discussed several times. Soccer will end at some point, and she's open to the idea that other interests could take precedence before she's 22.
                              Nice delayed reaction. Immediately followed by the attack on the Pman. This is fiction and lie #12698.

Comment

So jealous of BTDT.
                                Jealous of what??? The cabinetry, lol?! And what is the answer if by chance it's not about jealousy at all? The jealous comeback is so 3rd grade.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X