Newton North
    Milton
    Silver Lake
    Needham
    Brookline
    Natick
    Braintree
    Boston College
    They only need 9 points from these games to qualify for tournament. They should get 4 next week. You could see a scenario like tie SL, tie Brookline, beat Natick, tie BC. That would be enough to get Weymouth in, and wouldn't be heroic. But it would be a far cry from those predictions of a markedly improved season.
    What hasn't been discussed much: Weymouth was supposed to be stout without the ball, and all the difference of opinion was over whether they would be better with the ball. Turns out, they rank middle of the league in preventing goals.
    Weymouth teams are generally full of aggressive athletes that grind from whistle to whistle. Now they have soft skill players with average athleticism that never play the ball because it's always in the air. They can't score and they can't keep opponents out of their defensive third. The whole program is a mess. It makes things less interesting for the entire league.

Comment

The CFC program is aweful in the club world- but Braintree is definitely a high quality team this year in high school soccer. Their physical style appears to be overwhelming or at least neutralizing even against teams that are technically more skilled (Ie Needham Weymouth). In my heart of hearts however I believe they would be in a deep world of trouble if they ever matched up with a team like Brockton who has brutal physicality and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The CFC program is aweful in the club world- but Braintree is definitely a high quality team this year in high school soccer. Their physical style appears to be overwhelming or at least neutralizing even against teams that are technically more skilled (Ie Needham Weymouth). In my heart of hearts however I believe they would be in a deep world of trouble if they ever matched up with a team like Brockton who has brutal physicality and skill.
        With Braintree offense based on long throws, a game with a crosswind could neutralize them a lot.

Comment

Weymouth definitely does not have more technical skill than Braintree. That is kind of a joke I think this season.

Comment

With Braintree offense based on long throws, a game with a crosswind could neutralize them a lot.
            Braintree does have a longish throw but having seen them multiple times this year, I would say two things. It is not nearly as effective as it has been mostly because it is not as far. Second they are scoring in many more ways. You ride a long throw to a 500 record not a 10-1-1 start averaging close to 4 goals a game.

Comment

Braintree does have a longish throw but having seen them multiple times this year, I would say two things. It is not nearly as effective as it has been mostly because it is not as far. Second they are scoring in many more ways. You ride a long throw to a 500 record not a 10-1-1 start averaging close to 4 goals a game.

All this chatter about Braintree, yet they lost to Needham 3-1 right??
              I would like to hear more about Brockton.

Comment

All this chatter about Braintree, yet they lost to Needham 3-1 right??
                I would like to hear more about Brockton.
                This is the Bay State thread. Braintree is in the Bay State League and Brockton is not. There is an Emass thread where Brockton is talked about.

Comment

6 years ago made final 4 in State Tourney. I think 2 or 3 from that team are playing D1 college soccer. Lost to a very good NB team.

Bay State Bob
                  Even that team was around .500 or so. Have to go back to the Adam Pf.....days.

Comment

Weymouth definitely does not have more technical skill than Braintree. That is kind of a joke I think this season.
                    Weymouth has more skill but you'll never know because the ball always travels in the air from the defensive third to the offensive one.

Comment

Weymouth has more skill but you'll never know because the ball always travels in the air from the defensive third to the offensive one.
                      I am of the opinion that the lack of skill is what causes this result. I'm not sure what other conclusion you would draw. Their coach can be criticized for a lot but he does not coach them to play kick and chase. He wants them to play the ball on the ground.

Comment

Yes Weymouth has plenty of Skill, The biggest difference between Weymouth and other Top teams right now is if Weymouth gets Behind they Mentally shut down and play soft. If they are able to get a lead in a game they can control the pace of the game and counter attack with the best of teams. I will say the Defense has been very disappointing so far this year in the 4 games I've watched. There is little confidence and little communication between any of them, When Healthy Weymouth has a Great midfield but hasn't had a full line up in the midfield since Framingham and Wellesley games Week 1 of the season. At the Striker position its the first time in a long time they don't have a genuine striker who will cause teams to plan for. Last two years it was #10 JD before that it was ML who notched 30 goals a senior... So as someone whose followed the program for years the biggest issue isn't style of play its converting your chances when you get them which they don't and its defending better and even when giving up a goal realizing the game isn't over. I am semi hopeful this team gets healthy and make the tournament. With a Healthy team in the South anything is possible.

Comment

Only Weymouth could be 4-5-2 and tell a 10-1-1 team it lost to by a score of 4-1 that it has more skill.

Comment

Only Weymouth could be 4-5-2 and tell a 10-1-1 team it lost to by a score of 4-1 that it has more skill.
                            The truth hurts sorry Braintree.

Comment

Classic comment!

Comment

Finally Braintree has more thugs on its team than Weymouth and they're even better at the kick & run high school game. CFC did its job. The club churns out athletic delinquents.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X