Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Release

If your child is given scholarship and you signed paper work for premier soccer, and it wasn't cracked up to be how do you go about obtaining a release.

Same way you would if you were a paying customer. Just be prepared that they may drag their feet. More importantly know that that bridge is probably burned, not just with that club but with any coach involved as well. You never know when paths will cross again. Your reason(s) for leaving will partly drive their reaction. If it's mutually a bad fit it should be fine. Or your kid wants to play basketball or the drive is too far, again ok. But if you tell them their coaching sucks and you want to play at a rival club?

But let me ask you this - the season is just starting. Isn't a bit early to say it isn't all it's cracked up to be? You should give it the fall season in fairness to the club and your player - you're not providing very good lesson in commitment

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Same way you would if you were a paying customer. Just be prepared that they may drag their feet. More importantly know that that bridge is probably burned, not just with that club but with any coach involved as well. You never know when paths will cross again. Your reason(s) for leaving will partly drive their reaction. If it's mutually a bad fit it should be fine. Or your kid wants to play basketball or the drive is too far, again ok. But if you tell them their coaching sucks and you want to play at a rival club?

But let me ask you this - the season is just starting. Isn't a bit early to say it isn't all it's cracked up to be? You should give it the fall season in fairness to the club and your player - you're not providing very good lesson in commitment
      My kids are now older, but I made the mistake of pulling my kid from a top club and I'd be the first to admit that it was my ego that got the better of me and I made a mistake. I wasn't happy with my daughter's role so we left. My d had good friends on the team, and while the new club wasn't bad, if I had to do it all over again, we wouldn't have left. I think parents feel they know more than coaches and their child. I have seem kids quit playing soccer because of overbearing parents who act more like agents than parents. It will continue because this is the world we live in. If you're unhappy with the coach or situation, you should at least be an adult and speak to them and get their honest feedback.

Comment

My kids are now older, but I made the mistake of pulling my kid from a top club and I'd be the first to admit that it was my ego that got the better of me and I made a mistake. I wasn't happy with my daughter's role so we left. My d had good friends on the team, and while the new club wasn't bad, if I had to do it all over again, we wouldn't have left. I think parents feel they know more than coaches and their child. I have seem kids quit playing soccer because of overbearing parents who act more like agents than parents. It will continue because this is the world we live in. If you're unhappy with the coach or situation, you should at least be an adult and speak to them and get their honest feedback.
        Agee with both above - it's too early to give it a fair chance and talk with the club before making such a decision. You should dig deep as to why you want to leave. Also, just because one club gave you a scholarship doesn't mean another will. Club hoppers often develop reputations so you better have a good reason

Comment

"I think parents feel they know more than coaches".
          You don't say.
          This might be the least original post ever.
          You must be new here.

Comment

"I think parents feel they know more than coaches".
            You don't say.
            This might be the least original post ever.
            You must be new here.
            Seriously the way some coaches carry on her you would think that they invented the game.

Comment

Seriously the way some coaches carry on her you would think that they invented the game.
              that can be said of 85% of TS posters. They're all experts don't you know?

Comment

If your child is given scholarship and you signed paper work for premier soccer, and it wasn't cracked up to be how do you go about obtaining a release.
                Pretty early in season for rethinking? Particularly if u14 or younger. Plenty of valid reasons to leave one and join another and most all should revolve around the player's long term best interest developmentally. Never regret joining a team, there is always something for a growing player to learn but you will remorse to stay too long. As posted leave only after discussion with the club And a patient review of team/club culture supports your assumption of improper fit which is typically parenting's fault to begin with. Then do it with tact, respect and humility - bridge re-crossable... maybe but development elevated definitely and Never easy.

Comment

Specifically what wasn't what you expected? Seems very early in the year to be able to assess that it wasn't what you signed up for.

Comment

Specifically what wasn't what you expected? Seems very early in the year to be able to assess that it wasn't what you signed up for.
                    I'm curious as well.

- Different coach than was advertised?
                    - Is the coach playing your child in a different position?
                    - Not starting?

Comment

I'm curious as well.

- Different coach than was advertised?
                      - Is the coach playing your child in a different position?
                      - Not starting?
                      Definitely no the thread OP but my thoughts on your points are:

1) this happens a lot (often not the club's fault because coaches quit) so you should always make sure most of a club's coaching staff is good. Unless they replaced the coach with someone completely incompetent you should give them a chance
                      2) how about letting the coach do his job? Just because a player has always played one position doesn't mean they might not be good - even great - at another. If it really irks the OP then he should speak with the coach politely about it
                      3) At most clubs PT is earned. This isn't town travel any more.

On any of those points it is far too early to judge. Games haven't even started yet!

Comment

Original op was not looking for scholarships or anything from other teams it was just a condition for my son to actually play for them team. Problem is coach is no longer there. coach that replaced other coach does not coach well and is very disorganized.

Comment

Original op was not looking for scholarships or anything from other teams it was just a condition for my son to actually play for them team. Problem is coach is no longer there. coach that replaced other coach does not coach well and is very disorganized.
                          It's still early and you're jumping off the ship before giving the guy a chance. You also should express your concerns to the club. Ask the club about his qualifications/experience. Do other parents feel the same? Go as a group to the DOC and talk about it. One dad complaining will be viewed as a blowhard - seven dads is a problem.

Consider this also - with the season starting your might not find your player another good option and it could end up being the same or worse. But if you decide to leave the club has to release you no matter what the financial agreement was.

Another poster had it right - coaches come and go all the time. I understand wanting to have a certain coach but if a club doesn't have a stable of good coaches then you're taking a risk when signing up.

Comment

It's still early and you're jumping off the ship before giving the guy a chance. You also should express your concerns to the club. Ask the club about his qualifications/experience. Do other parents feel the same? Go as a group to the DOC and talk about it. One dad complaining will be viewed as a blowhard - seven dads is a problem.

Consider this also - with the season starting your might not find your player another good option and it could end up being the same or worse. But if you decide to leave the club has to release you no matter what the financial agreement was.

Another poster had it right - coaches come and go all the time. I understand wanting to have a certain coach but if a club doesn't have a stable of good coaches then you're taking a risk when signing up.
                            Respectfully disagree. If the parent actually knows something about soccer and is already very skeptical about the quality of the coach, try to make a move within the club (play up?) or politely move on. Questioning the club's judgment or trying to rally a group of parents to do so would be somewhat presumptuous this early in the season. But that doesn't mean your initial assessment isn't right.

Better to deal with getting resettled sooner rather than later.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. If the parent actually knows something about soccer and is already very skeptical about the quality of the coach, try to make a move within the club (play up?) or politely move on. Questioning the club's judgment or trying to rally a group of parents to do so would be somewhat presumptuous this early in the season. But that doesn't mean your initial assessment isn't right.

Better to deal with getting resettled sooner rather than later.
                              And if you're skeptical about the chemistry teacher?
                              Worry more about education and less about soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X