Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller soccer players

I had another dad ask me today "why does your kid get leveled on nearly every play and doesn't seem to get any calls. He has position and gets there first and yet refs eat whistles most time."

So I thought about his for awhile and here's best I can make of it...

I think SOME refs think if they make calls early in game they are interrupting flow and their job is to be an invisible as they can. So they let lots of fouls go by and sometimes don't blow whistle for small guys because they don't want to be see "cutting them breaks" just because their small.

So lots of times the small kids end up on bench in favor of those who can withstand the contact. Not the best soccer players, just those who thrive in this type of a game.

It's no wonder you look at the USA's lack of developing World class talent here in US.

I think it starts with how we are teaching the game.

There are rules that refs are supposed to follow re contact. Obviously not all are good at observing accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There are rules that refs are supposed to follow re contact. Obviously not all are good at observing accordingly
      I agree. I'm not looking to make this a b@tch thread... It is what it is... This is more of an observation than anything.

Comment

I was thinking about starting a post regarding smaller players the other day, but I'll throw my thoughts in here, even though they're a little off tangent from treatment by refs.

I was looking across the fields at my kids club practice last week and was noticing how small on average the group of U9s, 10s & 11s were compared to town teams at the same ages. And looking further, how the majority of the technical standouts seemed to be the smallest kids on the already small club teams. Perhaps this is not the case at other clubs, although I have noticed similarities on some of the other club teams my kid has played against over the last couple of years. Not sure, but I'm wondering if this might be because most town players are multi-sport athletes, and are not able to devote the necessary time on practicing soccer, whereas these club players have found they are most successful at soccer, perhaps being somewhat out-sized in other sports, especially the smallest kids. Even if the club player is involved in other sports, the most technical kids are most likely devoting the majority of their play time developing their soccer skills.

So we've got all these amazing technical players in a club environment supposedly receiving the best training they can and improving year after year. Then suddenly they hit the ages of 14-16. Some of these players who are small due to parental stature may be able to keep up with the larger kids, if they are going through growth spurts/muscle development at the same time. But others may be outmatched until they can spend a few years in the gym to bulk up and certainly the late bloomers who haven't even started their growth spurts yet, may be left on the bench most games. Due to lack of playing time, soccer development may slow and they may be overlooked by college coaches. Game over.

Shouldn't there be a better option than the bench for the group of these kids that can clearly show they have the technical ability and soccer IQ to be great players, but just need another 2-4 years to develop physically? Colleges probably don't care about development and need players that are ready to compete right away, not by middle of junior year. Homegrown signings from our local MLS academy, where development is supposed to be of the highest importance, have been few. I feel like there ought to be some sort of DAP offshoot for these kids to enable them to continue developing and be able to play in highly technical games against other kids of similar physicality. Given time to develop physically, they could very well end up being incredible players by their mid-twenties.

Comment

I was thinking about starting a post regarding smaller players the other day, but I'll throw my thoughts in here, even though they're a little off tangent from treatment by refs.

I was looking across the fields at my kids club practice last week and was noticing how small on average the group of U9s, 10s & 11s were compared to town teams at the same ages. And looking further, how the majority of the technical standouts seemed to be the smallest kids on the already small club teams. Perhaps this is not the case at other clubs, although I have noticed similarities on some of the other club teams my kid has played against over the last couple of years. Not sure, but I'm wondering if this might be because most town players are multi-sport athletes, and are not able to devote the necessary time on practicing soccer, whereas these club players have found they are most successful at soccer, perhaps being somewhat out-sized in other sports, especially the smallest kids. Even if the club player is involved in other sports, the most technical kids are most likely devoting the majority of their play time developing their soccer skills.

So we've got all these amazing technical players in a club environment supposedly receiving the best training they can and improving year after year. Then suddenly they hit the ages of 14-16. Some of these players who are small due to parental stature may be able to keep up with the larger kids, if they are going through growth spurts/muscle development at the same time. But others may be outmatched until they can spend a few years in the gym to bulk up and certainly the late bloomers who haven't even started their growth spurts yet, may be left on the bench most games. Due to lack of playing time, soccer development may slow and they may be overlooked by college coaches. Game over.

Shouldn't there be a better option than the bench for the group of these kids that can clearly show they have the technical ability and soccer IQ to be great players, but just need another 2-4 years to develop physically? Colleges probably don't care about development and need players that are ready to compete right away, not by middle of junior year. Homegrown signings from our local MLS academy, where development is supposed to be of the highest importance, have been few. I feel like there ought to be some sort of DAP offshoot for these kids to enable them to continue developing and be able to play in highly technical games against other kids of similar physicality. Given time to develop physically, they could very well end up being incredible players by their mid-twenties.
          Well said. Not to be flip, but finding another club is a viable alternative. Our family is not beholden to a club to pave the way for my kid. We've faced a similar issue with our HS kid and decided to move to another club with similar coaching, but not the name recognition. The road may be a bit more difficult, but with good training and dedication kids will achieve their appropriate level. Good luck!

Comment

Like it or not winning matters at clubs - it keeps the customers coming in. If they feel they can achieve that with bigger kids they will go that route. Smaller but technically superior teams? Then they'll go that route. Unfortunately in the US size and athleticism is the preferred norm.

Comment

Who is going to fund this DAP offshoot you are referring to? And by the mid 20's most US soccer players should be in the real world.

People need to realize that God given talent plays a role in a player's life. The amount of work a player puts in will help him/her be the best player they can be; but it might not be good enough to play professionally or even in college.

And size plays a role in every sport

Comment

We have over 50, over 35, coed and wheelchair leagues. Now we need one for the midgets.
                And I know of what I speak- 5'6".

Comment

Who is going to fund this DAP offshoot you are referring to? And by the mid 20's most US soccer players should be in the real world.

People need to realize that God given talent plays a role in a player's life. The amount of work a player puts in will help him/her be the best player they can be; but it might not be good enough to play professionally or even in college.

And size plays a role in every sport
                  I think you may have missed my point. I'm talking about the kids that do have the God given talent, and many of them have probably put in the more time with the ball at their feet starting from an early age than those larger players who may have started out as multi-sport athletes. Seems a waste of talent and hard work to overlook them and kill their development trajectory just because they haven't fully developed physically by 16 or 17, especially the late bloomers, as the will have the necessary size, just later.

Comment

I think you may have missed my point. I'm talking about the kids that do have the God given talent, and many of them have probably put in the more time with the ball at their feet starting from an early age than those larger players who may have started out as multi-sport athletes. Seems a waste of talent and hard work to overlook them and kill their development trajectory just because they haven't fully developed physically by 16 or 17, especially the late bloomers, as the will have the necessary size, just later.
                    That's why the US will never become a soccer powerhouse. We value size over skill.

Comment

You need to put the time and energy into finding a coach or program that values ability over size. They are out there. Sure, you might play at the top flight levels, but if your child is as good as you believe, size should not be a detriment.
                      Don't let it become an excuse.
                      And teach them how to draw a foul.

Comment

You need to put the time and energy into finding a coach or program that values ability over size. They are out there. Sure, you might play at the top flight levels, but if your child is as good as you believe, size should not be a detriment.
                        Don't let it become an excuse.
                        And teach them how to draw a foul.
                        Best U13 team in MA (as well as the world) is filled with undersized phenoms. Find another club that values ability.

Not god-given ability but inspiration and tremendous amount of dedication.

Comment

If they are as small as you indicate then they don't really have God given talent. While I will grant you that they may be technically superior than most players, you will find that the ones with God given talent are equally as proficient technically but then they also possess some freakish athletic trait that makes them virtually unstoppable. Even tiny players with God given talent literally jump out at you because they are either lightening quick or super agile. This thread is just like the one about 12-13 year olds and speed. If an athlete doesn't have top shelf athleticism they are not special in the world or sports. Blame it on physics.

Comment

If an athlete doesn't have top shelf athleticism they are not special in the world or sports. Blame it on physics.
                            Nope. Blame it on the refs. (Which is what the OP basically did). If his kid is truly "getting to the ball first" how is he getting dispossesed so easily. Has to be something wrong technically or he is diving or is really not battling hard enough to maintain possession. The officials can't be missing EVERY call. That won't happen even with the worst official. Part of this picture is missing.

Comment

I think parents need to be realistic about the amount of talent their children have. There are not that many late bloomers that you are referring to

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X